Pros and cons of a dually?

Uncle Mater

Reaction score
I have to say that I love my 3 duallies. Yes it is more expensive with the tires and a bit of a pain with rotation but you cannot beat them when you have to tow or haul heavy loads. My 89 250 460 daully, has had 3 yards in her and did not even flinch. It made her ride like a caddy. It all comes down to preference and what you are going to do.

duaneboggs

Reaction score
One thing not mentioned is that if you blow a rear tire on a dually you can kiss the fender goodbye. Had that happen to me yesterday and it absolutely destroyed the drivers side. Now I get to spend several hundred dollars fixing it again. Makes a flatbed tempting.

Duane

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Having had both I would choose the dually...Nothing like the better handling when loaded or towing...world of difference....Mine is 4wd and I intend to plow with it this winter, my opinion may change after the first snow storm so I have a set of plow gear here for a 92-96 F150 4x4 just incase I'll be in the market for a cheap plow truck....LOL

1994IDI

Reaction score
Drive it for awhile and see what you think. It's simple really, you will pay more in tires and fuel, but if you like the way it drives and handles and looks, then after a few months, you keep it.

Another post that never should have been born without pictures and a signature.

Oh and welcome to OB. Now lets see your truck.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing not mentioned is that if you blow a rear tire on a dually you can kiss the fender goodbye. Had that happen to me yesterday and it absolutely destroyed the drivers side. Now I get to spend several hundred dollars fixing it again. Makes a flatbed tempting.

Duane

If you want road safety hauling or towing, a dually is better. A flat tire on the rear won't be a disaster, whereas with a SRW, your boat or trailer will be more in danger when you get a flat in the rear. It's true that gator-skinning a tire on a dually can mess up the fender, but better the fender than a boat or a trailer.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wont own a srw.dually or nothing for me.at the moment i have a 94 and a 95 crew cab duallies. both are factory duals though with 10,000Lb gvw.the cab/chassis drw trucks were 11,000. and my 94 superduty was 15,000

drw trucks look better.only time i have trouble in snow is if i need new rear tires(im known to burn the tires off my trucks.:D:sly).i never rotate my tires why take a tire that is worn flat and put it on the front where they wear kinda rounded?roateted the tires on my superduty once and will never rotate tires on a dually again,couldnt keep the thing on the road.want a softer ride?drop the tire pressuresim used to the rough ride and like it.i ran 90PSI in the rears on my superduty(makes DOT cops happy when tires dont touch when your overloaded.) and thats what i run on the pickups as well.another nice thing is if you do blow a tire you always gotta spare to get you home unless its on the rear and the blown tire takes the good tire out as well.but get a flat on the front,take a rear off and leave one tire on and throw the flat in the bed and baby it home or to a tire shop.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Down here in Texas is see about 20x more screwed up duallu fenders than stw fenders. Way easier to hit something if your driving something with wide hips

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is dually and I find that its not any harder to get around with the hips. Contrary to what everyone is saying about mud, Mine is 2wd and I have pulled srw trucks 2wd and 4wd out with no problems. Also as 94f450 said the hips are ****.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Down here in Texas is see about 20x more screwed up duallu fenders than stw fenders. Way easier to hit something if your driving something with wide hips

Justin, those are just evidence of frustrated amateurs behind the wheel.LOL

I gotta add myself to the list of liking duallies as well. Just sumpthin bout a dually truck.:sly

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One think to keep in mind with a dually is the hips are not really any wider than the mirrors, so if the mirrors fit, the hips should.... I think the big thing is people "forget" the hips are back there, until they hit them on something......

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I just don't have the trouble that some guys seem to have driving on snow with mine. Could be that I have 4 big nasty mudders on the back :D but it sure does the trick. I've not had to chain it up yet and I went up to Michigan 2 years ago in a nasty blizzard and brought back a 32ft trailer and the thing handled great Sorry, but I think it has a lot to do with driver skill level as well. Of course, nothing is going to drive on ice without studs or chains ( or real high dollar studless snow tires) When we get ice around here, and we get lots of it, firehose on the skating rink type, I don't take the truck out, I have cars with studs for that. I really don't feel like having to crawl under and chain the truck if i don't have to

You can't beat the stability with a big nasty load on with a dually especially if pulling a gooseneck or 5er. When I go to the gravel pit I pretty much have to tell them whoa because the thing doesn't show signs of being loaded down...and that was before i put the airbags with the automatic load leveling on there :D

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't have **** fender skirts,but duallies are just **** anyway.:D

if the op wont post pics,i guess we'll have to boys lol.

Attachments

• dually dump july 2.2010.#1.jpg
    dually dump july 2.2010.#1.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 1
  • dually dump july 2.2010.#2.jpg
    dually dump july 2.2010.#2.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 5

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
My farm truck (dually 4WD) goes through mud pits, brush and really bad dirt roads where other trucks not even try. Yes I know, it only gives me 10 or 12 MPG, but I only use it when the job demands it and the old "Bull" delivers every time.

Burt, a Florida *******.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online