Introduction and a couple quick questions? GlowPlug Controller..

Barnettworks

Reaction score
Hello All, I'm new here, thank you for letting me join. I currently own a few IDI's 1984 F250, 85 F250, and a 1986 F350 all IDI. I hate to ask about Glow Plugs, as I have read over a lot of threads already. I was hoping to take a look at https://www.oilburners.net/threads/3346/ but it appears it no longer exists?

I have started to convert my 6.9 over to the 7.3, using DieselLogics controller and plugs, purchased the new style harness ends. and I thought it was fairly straightforward. However I have a really dumb question? The round "what I thought" was the old style controller on the back of the Drivers head, does it get disconnected? Or is that what tells this new controller the coolant temp?

I have the new diesel logic controller installed (didn't come with any diagrams or instructions), battery and orange high amp wires going to it, I have it grounded right to the battery, but I think i'm missing something on the trigger Black/purple wire and the wait to start wire... My new controller is never getting a signal to engage the solenoid. I can manually add power to it but that's it.
So I started looking at the wiring schematics, and wondering if its a coolant temp sensor? I can go grab some pictures if that is helpful. I am just stuck with the trigger and the wait to start light, and of course is the round thing the old controller, or a temp sensor, or both? and does it need to be there with this new system?

thank you very much in advance!

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. I am not going to be of much help on the factory controller as I completely did away with it. I built my own manual setup.

I can answer part of your question though. The round this on the back of the engine is the factory 6.9 controller. And I am pretty sure it has a temp sensor built into it.

James

Barnettworks

Reaction score
Welcome. I am not going to be of much help on the factory controller as I completely did away with it. I built my own manual setup.

I can answer part of your question though. The round this on the back of the engine is the factory 6.9 controller. And I am pretty sure it has a temp sensor built into it.

James
Thanks James. I was going to do a manual override, however, there are a lot of family members that I know would burn them out in a hurry. No sense of time let alone counting seconds

Barnettworks

Reaction score
Here is the two wires that came off my old solenoid. The black appears to be ground, and the other that someone has put a splice onto was the trigger wire. I was expecting a dk Blue in color.

Attachments

• B8488C06-E978-4227-B219-048EEEFC8CA3.jpeg
    B8488C06-E978-4227-B219-048EEEFC8CA3.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 37C64260-5FFD-4376-903A-C82069ADB949.jpeg
    37C64260-5FFD-4376-903A-C82069ADB949.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 8

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard in other threads is that the white wire is the trigger. It gets grounded to trigger the relay.

Someone who is more familiar with the factory setup will chime in when they get a chance and should have all the answers your looking for.

James

Barnettworks

Reaction score
Well I pulled the sheath back a bit, and that mystery wire is more of a pink or purple? I’m color blind
You must be registered for see images attach

Barnettworks

Reaction score
So I grabbed the ignition wire from the old controller Red with a green stripe. And put it on the trigger solenoid of the new one. Now when I turn the ignition on, new controller solenoid just clicks, like it doesn’t have enough power or something, instead of staying on for a bit.
I tried uploading a small video clip, didn’t seem to like it. Would the controller click like that if there is a short somewhere? Good news is that the key energizes controller, and I can see the wait to start light blinking with the clicks, like once a second. So getting closer.

Last edited:

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are for a 1986 Bronco/ F150/ F350. Perhaps they'll help.

Attachments

• 20230823_165335.jpg
    20230823_165335.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230823_165217.jpg
    20230823_165217.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 7

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the new controller hooked up to your glow plugs yet? It reads resistance and unhooked it will just click like that. Don't forget you have to use the newer style Motorcraft glow plugs as well.

You don't need that old temperature sensor for anything. It's not used with the new system at all.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From what I have heard in other threads is that the white wire is the trigger. It gets grounded to trigger the relay.
No. That is only if you're putting manual control on the 7.3 style controller. Not for automatic use of the 7.3 style controller.
You don't need that old temperature sensor for anything. It's not used with the new system at all.
Correct. Our trucks didn't use that 6.9 controller after 1986 so it's not needed for this conversion.

Barnettworks

Reaction score
Is the new controller hooked up to your glow plugs yet? It reads resistance and unhooked it will just click like that. Don't forget you have to use the newer style Motorcraft glow plugs as well.

Yes, all new style glow plugs, and they are all hooked up. Anything else cause it to click?
I just purchased this kit. not sure what brand came with the kit..
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online