Pros and cons of a dually?

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently just bought a 93 crew cab 4x4 dually with a flatbed.. It was converted to a dually with adapters on both axles. This is my first truck that is a dually. I am thinking about converting it back to a single. What are the positive and negative aspects of a dually? This will be used as a daily driver to work 20 miles round trip, to haul 5-7 cords of firewood per year, tow a 18 foot fiberglass boat, going camping, hunting, fishing and to tow a 16-21 foot travel trailer in the future. I am thinking of converting back to singles because of the added cost of tires and having had duallies in the past for company trucks they did not seem to do very well in the snow or mud unless there was a lot of weight in the bed. Thanks.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
extra cost of tires and rougher ride and if that flatbed is skirted it will also affect your milage pretty good.

I have drove both and duallys just arent for me. I dont haul heavy enough often enough to justify the need for one. doesnt really sound like you will either but many times it boils down to personal preference.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Pros

Less sway when trailering heavy or aerodynamicly challenging objects
look cool
More weight carrying capacity(two extra tires)
Same ride as a SRW

Cons

2 more tires to buy
A real PITA to rotate tires if aluminum wheels
Extra width
Tolls are more(considered a single axle truck not a pick up)

It is all preferance. and if you "NEED" a dually. I have had 2. Own one currently but cant really justify owning one for the few times i acutally use it for its intended use

johnboggs21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pros

I dont think the GVWR changes from dually to SRW. So LEGALLY you cant carry anymore, but if your not worried about that then yes a definite pro

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pros

Less sway when trailering heavy or aerodynamicly challenging objects
look cool
Same ride as a SRW

Cons

2 more tires to buy
A real PITA to rotate tires if aluminum wheels
Extra width
Tolls are more(considered a single axle truck not a pick up)

It is all preferance. and if you "NEED" a dually. I have had 2. Own one currently but cant really justify owning one for the few times i acutally use it for its intended use

The truck has rusty steel wheels that I will have powder coated if I keep the duals.
The flatbed is wider than the tires so swaping tires will make no difference.
No toll roads in this part of the NW, for now at least.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
For the few times I haul loads with my duallies versus my srw, its well worth the extra cost of 2 tires.
With it being a 4x4 and diesel, that will help it on snow.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pro's- extra weight capacity and stability towing

Con's- absolutely useless in snow without weight in the bed, be prepared to have it in four wheel drive all the time when the snow is flying. I got rid of mine for that very reason. Unless you really can justify having it, the novelty wears off fast.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well driving back and forth to work 20 miles each way = the need for a car not a srw or a drw pickup lol.
loss of traction.i still have a hard time understanding why 2wd duallies are most common.price i guess.but holy cow.she better be a pavement princess.
when it comes time to load up,there's nothing like it.
loading up a stock bed with firewood isn't really enough for duals either.but you say you have a flat bed.
sounds like you should just pull a tire and run SRW,and then when you need too,put the other two on.
i'll be running srw during the winter months,and only run duals when i know im gunna need the tires.
im gunna go out on first snow fall though as duals in 4wd.i know it'll suck cus i can feel her slide already on gravel roads if not careful and iv got a heavy bed.
the tires float rather than sinking down in.that's the problem.
if you need a dually,you'll be in heaven.if you don't,you'll know soon enough to stop paying a little more in fuel and tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle