project: watch out Kentuckians

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow up question, what is the temp difference between the pipes? If my math is right (which is always suspect) it shouldn't take a huge temp drop to see a significant pressure drop assuming the compressor is giving the same output.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its only about 60* here today. the pipe from the turbo is warm but not hot. the pipe into the engine is maybe a little over air temp.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Very well could be normal.
Build a boost leak checker.
Basically hook shop air in at the turbo inlet, then go spraying connections.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the elbow in front of the turbo with a rag in it is where the boost tube is tapped into. it has not yet been installed in this picture.
You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how lossy those IC's are but remember on these guys the point is really to reduce EGT's as much as anything. If it's efficient at shedding heat, you will loose pressure for the same amount of air produced by the turbo. The flow chart on my IC said like 1-1.5 psi loss at 750 cfm. That's with no cooling so you may be completely in the realm of normal.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Heath say that his boost pressure wasn't much higher most of the time? I seem to remember that.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Heath say that his boost pressure wasn't much higher most of the time? I seem to remember that.

on his vid I think he got to 18 lbs. for the record there was almost no smoke out the tailpipe and I did have it wide open. heath has a 110 pump on his truck vs mine is a 90.

I guess I am just surprised it ate up almost 5 lbs.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But remember it's not the pressure that matters. It's the molecules of air that matters. Pressure is a function of molecules of air at a temperature in a volume.

PV=nR T

P- pressure; V - volume; n- moles (molecules) gas; R - universal gas constant; T is temperature in K. If the temperature goes down and everything else is constant, the pressure goes down proportionally. Here you also have more volume but it's fairly minimal considering we approximate a steady state condition. Essentially the volume is tied to the rate of consumption of the engine which we assume to be roughly constant on two similar pulls.

This is why I'm dying to know what my turbo is going to do with the smaller hot side housing. There's a balance between choking it off and driving up egt's and making boost more efficiently. I have a feeling, the smaller housing may be better for driving empty and the bigger one might be better for loaded just because the foot will be closer to the floor loaded and it might start to choke with the smaller housing. But I'm also using the Banks up pipe which is t3 so that may choke it a bit too. We shall see I hope.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But how does it feel?
More or less torqie?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

over all good, much cleaner on the soot. I would say overall more torque and more power. I think the biggest difference will be in the hills and hopefully lower temps on everything.

before the IC the extra boost I had I didn't notice a difference.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I've only ever had gated turbos in both diesels and gassers, so my .02 are irrelevant

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a 90 and heath has a 110 pump, I would think that only having 3 psi of boost between you would be pretty good

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does the power feel compared to your banks system? You said even at 15psi it cleans up all your smoke, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online