Project Time Bandit

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got those 08 lights and those 11 mirrors.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can get both bumpers unwelded for like 800, for both

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
So it looks like it is lifted via different springs. I didnt pay too close attention to the rears, but the fronts have more leaves than the used stock springs I'm seeing for sale on ebay. Eventually I'll probably end up replacing them all for stock spec springs. I think they sit plenty tall stock height, and I dont plan to run lager than a stock tire. Maybe a hair taller, but nothing crazy. I planed to pull the springs to replace the bushings anyhow, so maybe just new springs all together.

The trans dipstick tube is loose. Its rattling / rubbing against the down pipe, so I'll need to figure out what the deal is there.

There is a leak someplace in the vacuum lines. When I turn the key on, the vacuum pump just runs and runs, and the hvac defaults to defrost. So I'll need to figure that out.

I managed to get it into the garage today, that was no small feat. Next up is to pull the running boards so I can dig into the rust issues.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is the vacuum leak is the hubs.... If they didn't plug the lines to the hubs when they switched to the manual lockouts, they will leak.

The pump is on the passenger fender, behind the battery. I'd start there. Figure out which line(s) goto the hubs and plug them.....

I'll try and snap a few pictures of the springs in a bit..... right now, I've got the truck outside so I can work in the garage and it's currently raining. When I pull it back in, I'll grab a few pictures.....

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
My guess is the vacuum leak is the hubs.... If they didn't plug the lines to the hubs when they switched to the manual lockouts, they will leak.

The pump is on the passenger fender, behind the battery. I'd start there. Figure out which line(s) goto the hubs and plug them.....

I'll try and snap a few pictures of the springs in a bit..... right now, I've got the truck outside so I can work in the garage and it's currently raining. When I pull it back in, I'll grab a few pictures.....

Thanks man. I'll grab pictures of my springs here in a bit. Of course now I'm wondering if it has different sway bar end links, pitman arm, and other lift stuff too. Hopefully not, and it was just a quick and dirty lift.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
1st pic is the rear, you can just see the overload at the bottom.

Second pic is the front.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Here you go Rob,

Passenger side rear, from bottom by exhaust:

Passenger side front, from front of tire (wheels turned hard right):

Passenger side front, behind passenger front tire; top of picture is the rear of the front leaf spring, left side is the sway bar end link, sway bar connected to the axle at the sway bar brackets/bushings (red is the sway bar bushing), the tag with the bar code is the axle tube and the cross member and oil pan is directly behind (left) of the tag, to give you an idea of stock positioning.

Passenger side front axle, at knuckle; you can see how close the spring is to the axle, and shock. The grease zerk inside the circle pointing at the camera is the drag link to tie rod connection. The steering components are fairly flat across the front of the truck.

Pitman arm; other end of the drag link......

The steering components are next on the replacement list. Everything else has been replaced. Ball joints, hubs, all the seals at both hubs/knuckles, U-Joints in the axle shafts, steering stabilizer shock, Bilstein shocks, sway bar end links and sway bar bracket bushings. Timkin unit hubs, and XRF Ball Joints..... WHEN you replace the ball joints, I recommend the XRF Joints (Got from FICM Repair) good price and you get all 4. DO NOT GO CHEAP ON BALL JOINTS for these trucks. They are heavy and EAT cheap ball joints. I put the $20 cheapies from Advance in (late on a weekend and in a buddies shop) and got less than an oil change on them..... Also, if you start chasing a clunk, replace the sway bar end links and the sway bar bracket bushings, you wouldn't believe the noise they make. I am going to get THIS kit for the steering links next.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like one added leaf in the back and a larger stack in the front.

I know you're not that close to me but I would trade some parts.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Thanks for all those pics, very helpful
It looks like I have a stock pitman arm. So as you can imagine I've got quite an angle there.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
The auto hub vacuum solenoid is bad, just leaks and leaks. Which is probably why they switched to manual lockouts. I dont know how long the pump has just been running constantly, but it is now basically wore out. It will only pull about 10" of vacuum, not enough to shut itself off, but enough to get the vents working now that I've taken the line to the hubs totally out of the circuit.
New vacuum pump is on order.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i wil place bets you have a mini pack on the front. the ex springs sit 2 inches lower than the trucks. common swap here is to put f350 springs in. gives it just a little height adjustment without compromising ride. makes them the same height as a f350