Project Time Bandit

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
now that the inner and outer rockers are done I can focus on the running boards. I got the brackets all cleaned up and reattached to the new inner rockers with new hardware.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is what 400k+ miles does to the steel running board reinforcements here on the east coast. You can still buy these new but they are pricey. I think I'm going to do new reinforcements with TREX composite decking, then attach the running board covers to those. That will be really cheap and wont ever rust out.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Looks good. Did you have to cut and weld in both sides of the rockers?
Yeah, so all 4 doors, I had to drill out the spot welds to get the outer rockers off. They just lift off at that point. Then I had to cut the inners back to good metal, and weld patches in. I ended up just buying 2 8 foot by 7 inch pieces of 16ga sheet metal, and cutting them to fit for the inners. It wasn't too bad but that meant I had to make all the holes where the running board brackets mount. once that was done I just plug welded the new outer rockers on.
Its gotten all dusty in the pic, but rustoleum rattle can gloss back matched up just fine for these.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nice, my truck is getting to the point I will probably need to do rockers on it this summer to. Looks great!

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Ever since I brought this home and Scott mentioned that it had a lift based on the pictures, I've been researching all of that.

With so many miles I knew I at least wanted to swap out the leaf spring bushings. But the more I looked at what I had, I decided to just replace them all together.

A popular spring swap on these is V/B code springs from an F350. Corey alluded to this earlier. I found a low mileage set for a great price so I decided to just swap them. The bushings still looked great so I left them alone.

I finished up swapping the rears yesterday, and will do the fronts soon. On the rear, center line of the hub to the fender was 25 3/4", and with the "new" B codes its 24 3/4"

So a little lift over stock, but an inch less than the janky ass mile-ed up situation I had on there to start with.

Here is what came off, you can see a leaf was added to the bottom of the pack, and an additional add-a-leaf helper spring was strapped to the back. The stock slapper bar is still there, but the snubber is gone. So its only purpose in life was to add an additional 5/16" or so of lift. If these had been pristine, I would have just put it all back to stock, but given the condition I just decided to replace them.

And here is the "new" B code spring. A lot more life left in it, and much more predictable handling I would assume.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Test fitting new carpet. Looks like i have about 50 holes to burn into it LOL.

then a piece almost as big goes in the back!

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score

Headliner pealed and scraped. New fabric goes on tomorrow or the day after. I have to patch the giant hole in the rear first.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like fun.... That must be a pretty owkword headliner to maneuver around.

What was wrong with it?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
That looks like fun.... That must be a pretty owkword headliner to maneuver around.

What was wrong with it?
its 12 feet by 5 feet, yeah pretty awkward for sure.

It actually was in fairly decent shape, but that hole in the back of the picture by the window. That's not stock, he had some sort of rear facing tv back there. Maybe for tailgating? all that was left was the hole, and set of rabbit ears attached to one of the rear windows.

I thought about a few different ways to fix it, but it was dirty enough, and the fabric is cheap enough that I just decided to redo the whole thing.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing how the headliner turns out. That is something that could really use attention on my truck as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Got the custom hole plugged with a piece of corrugated plastic.

Hopefully i can get the fabric on tomorrow.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Well the seats are next. I don't have anything against honest patina, but this is a bit much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online

No members online now.