Project Thread: 1986 F250 “Farm Truck #1” Build Thread

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need to go back to the yard and grab the steering column from the manual for any reason on this swap?

I have an auto steering column now with a sloppy steering wheel… it probably wouldn’t hurt.
Not only is it cleaner looking, but I'm of the opinion that an extra steering column is an excellent thing to have. There's been a couple situations in threads on here where an extra column was handy.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having trouble bleeding my clutch after doing my swap. Another member here, I cannot recall who, posted about propping a stick to press the clutch pedal down for a day or three. That worked for mine, well too since I was still working on other parts of the truck.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only is it cleaner looking, but I'm of the opinion that an extra steering column is an excellent thing to have. There's been a couple situations in threads on here where an extra column was handy.
Well stated. ‘Nuff said, I’ll pick it up over the weekend and maybe even the motor and the brass radiator if the truck is still out in the yard…

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think of it as OCD. It's very strange with me. I can't stand dash gauges that don't work. I also HATE not having a full set of a particular type of tool. If I need one specialty socket or wrench, I'll buy the whole set rather than just one.
OCD indeed

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
August 6th, 2023 Update

Pick-n-Pull still had the 83 F350, so I pulled the motor, radiator & steering column today.

This was the sketchiest engine removal I’ve ever done. Pick-N-Pull’s provided A-Frame was pretty bad and the gear box was falling apart.

The other option was an A-Frame hoist that had a ripping seat belt used to attach the chain hoist to the frame. I thought it was best to avoid using that one…
You must be registered for see images attach

Total removal time was about 1 hour, since I pulled the transmission last week.

Picture Dump:

Getting ready to pull the Reman 6.9idi from Dealers Manufacturing Co “Diesel Products” - Minneapolis, Minnesota

6.9 was out and removed. Definitely is Heavy motor to move across the gravel. Gonna pop some extra Tylenol tonight.

Backed up and centered the F150 and lowered the motor into the bed.

Today’s total damages came out to: $435. They felt bad for me and gave me a bunch of discounts, and only charged me for a complete Gas motor

Last edited:

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additional photos

Compressed.

Relieved the F150’s suspension of the 1000lbs payload

Radiator, steering column. Bonus: local farmer sold me a watermelon for $3

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won’t assume that either issues have been addressed, but i wonder if the reman 6.9’s have issues with the block heater cracking, and if they still use the 7/16” head bolt sizes.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the Gotcha! is on this throttle cable... Looks fine to me?

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the Gotcha! is on this throttle cable... Looks fine to me?
I’m not quite following you, but I thought the condition of this throttle cable was exceptionally good. Far better than any other that I’ve seen in person.