Project Thread: 1986 F250 “Farm Truck #1” Build Thread

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
i wonder if the reman 6.9’s have issues with the block heater cracking, and if they still use the 7/16” head bolt sizes.
You'll have to look.
I have heard this was only an issue on the 83-84 blocks.
I know it was the early ones. The '83 and at least some of the '84. Just because the engine was in a 1983, that doesn't mean that it's a 1983 or even '84 block. It could be a 1987 block.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it was the early ones. The '83 and at least some of the '84. Just because the engine was in a 1983, that doesn't mean that it's a 1983 or even '84 block. It could be a 1987 block.
This is very true, with it being a reman it could be from any year. Same goes the other way with a reman, you could pull an 83 block out of an 87 truck. They just built them with whatever parts will meet spec.

My guess on the head bolts is that they would probably still be the standard 6.9 if it is tagged as a 6.9 engine. Since it isn't supposed to be feasible to drill them to the 7.3 size.

I definitely don't think they would start with a 7.3 block and build it to a 6.9, to me that just doesn't sound cost effective since they both bolt into the trucks the same. That and most people would rather have the larger displacement engine when given the choice anyway.

James

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Brought out Self Help today to try and muscle the 6.9 onto the stand today. Bolts were 1/2” too long. Back to the store to pick up shorter bolts or more washers, and then it’s back to it.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After an eventful week, Finally the 6.9 is out of the elements and into the shop today!

The next steps are to open up the motor, inspect, and then hopefully clean it, and clean it up & prep for paint. I’m hopeful that a recent reman 6.9 will pass with flying colors.

I’ve got a vision of 250whp/535ftlbs for this rig, so I’d like to stay reliable with a frequent heavy foot. Head studs, shave the pistons down up to 0.020”, r&d-110, R&D turbo cam, complete banks sidewinder kit, other complimentary accessories, & T19 swap would make a fun project. I’m still figuring this out and a project of this undertaking is new to me, so I’m open to suggestions.

Last edited:

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the 6.9 was in place, we took the forklift back home to use it to pull a running 5.0 (with working AC) out of a junked 92 f150. The forklift made quick work of pulling out the motor assembly. The story on the f150 was that the trans was bad and we found that the transmission mounts were gone.

Then we pulled the carbed 302 out of the 78

As you can probably guess, yup that nice ol’ 92 302 with AC is going in the bronco with a carb hot swap to get the bronco on the road this week is the goal.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SkylabTech86IDI I just have to comment and say your F150 sports possibly the best vanity plate I’ve ever seen!!!! Well done, LOVE it!!

And a $3 watermelon is a score these days!! Hope it was great!
Thank you, and the watermelon was undoubtedly the best one I’ve had so far, and would’ve been worth every penny if he were asking $20. It was *that* good.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here’s what the transmission input shaft looks like.

Now here’s what the clutch looked like where they meet.

This suggests and maybe solves the mystery of why we found it at a junkyard with a remanned motor. The T19 ate the clutch/imputing spline mating surfaces (I’m blanking on the proper name) and then it was probably parked under a tree where it sat. From there, the rust won over the course of 3-5 years.

Back to the wasted friction disc spline. This is new to me but it suggests that something inside the trans is out of alignment.

the gnarled piece of metal hanging down is hanging on for dear life

Attachments

• IMG_2905.jpeg
    IMG_2905.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 7

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The next short term goals:

hook up the rest of the exhaust

find a reliable electric pump to replace the mechanical lift pump

get the wipers working

replace the driver side window regulator & door panel

get the radio working

fix the brakes (5th on my list. priorities, right? ;))

finish installing the ZD-9 plugs

flush the coolant, SCA additives

change the rear gear oil

replace the rotten wood on the bed

Install sliding rear glass window

After all that, i’ll install an exhaust gas probe and start my pillar pod and then start working on setting the timing just right. This motor has well over 200k on it.

The C6 has an issue where it likes to fall out of 2nd gear and go into neutral. Still won’t go into third. The fluid looks good so I Need to check the basics like the vacuum modulator or kick down lever. Now that the trucks been driving every day over the last 4 days, it’s time to see if we can’t unlock 3rd gear.

While the 6.9 is on the stand getting built, I’m going to borrow the better reman parts that could go on the 7.3 while I’m running it. I already got the replacement accelerator cable installed and it’s made a nice difference. Better throttle response and doesn’t catch anymore. The 6.9 also has a better cdr valve, throat and gasket, better fuel return brass.

I think getting an injector pop tester would be a good idea for this whole build since I’d like to check the performance of the injectors routinely when I’m running alt fuel.

Unrelated picture, but my little brother found a Honda ATC-110 for a couple hundred that we scooped up.

The Honda Started right up and drove around. My brother thinks the wheel bearing is bad because it’s got a gnarly wobble. The whole trike wobbles. He’s confident he can fix it. If you ask me I think the 3 wheeler slammed down on one wheel real good and bent the axle, but I also haven’t looked at it. probably could be straightened back out. Who knows, anything is possible.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online