Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I also seem to have quieted the belts for now with a re-tension. We will see how long that lasts.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good to hear it passed... let us know how the test run goes.. if it runs a little hot you can mod the fan clutch in under an hour and be good to go.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I put almost 200 miles on the truck towing the camper tonight. Not all of it was good. I was ready to throw in the towel a couple times.

The first run I worked on setting the bars and I'm pretty sure I floated the valves getting on the interstate because the tach quit working. It stumbled and carried on for a few seconds then smoothed right out. Don't really know what it was but it felt like I was down a cylinder. Made it home. Changed tach sensor. Rock solid now. Took it for another drive. It was just eating up the 2 lane road. Came back on the freeway to complete the circuit and I had a hiccup in one bad spot. I shifted in the wrong spot and blacked out the cars headlights behind me. I thought I was seeing smoke and feeling a miss so I came back to the house ready to call the code. Talked to the wife and decided that she should follow me and tell me what she was seeing. Several miles later she had seen almost no smoke. Just where you'd expect it. Pulled in to fill the tanks and we talked and said there's only one way to know what it's going to do. Jumped back on 70 and headed for the hills.

Pulled the first one out of Frederick in 4th 65 mph 10 psi about 850-900 EGT's.

Okay. Let's go on to south mountain. It's a little bigger and longer. Pretty much the same. I could gain if I wanted too. Okay. Turn around at the outlets in Hagarstown and head back. Same story. Truck handles those hills no sweat. They are not as big as the Allegheny front but it was a reasonable test.

Looks like my sweat spot is 65. It will do more but the trailer starts to get flighty. It also starts pushing EGT's up. I finally figured out how to run overdrive. I just had to learn when to push and when to lift. So still driving by pyro because if I wasn't paying attention I would get over 900 pretty quick. It drops fast with a little off the pedal. Clearly I'm not using quite all my fuel. I rarely saw more than 10 psi. In OD it was more like 5 or less unless I really got on it. Then we were running too fast. 3.55 gears there for the win.

I can't say for 100% she's going to make it there but the last 150 miles were very encouraging. I've been through a good bit of a fuel run towing. Still fighting a little slop in the steering that's causing me to chase the trailer a little more than I'd like. She's going to get a new steering shaft this winter.

Everyone cross your fingers that we get loaded and through the first leg tomorrow.

This may be the stupidest thing I've ever done but we are going for it!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
glad to hear mike. I just finished laying some primer on the hood. it will be on the truck but not quite finished. it will be in base coat black for now.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Great news Mike, how are your coolant temps with the new fan clutch?

Also, on those big hills today, you know the ones that Heath kept trying to talk you out of, dont even worry about 40mph in 3rd if thats what it takes in a few spots. There are no trophies for getting to the top quicker, and their are plenty of lanes for others to get around ya.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alrighty. We did make the first leg of the trip. I have to say that once I figured out how to drive it, I was reasonably impressed.

The first couple hills were rough. I actually topped Sideling hill in 3rd gear. It was ugly. One other one before Cumberland. I was really discouraged when we pulled into the truck stop for dinner and fuel. I noticed they had a scale. I thought gee, maybe it's a lot heavier than I think. I asked them what it cost to weigh in. $11 later I had a certified weight ticket. Truck trailer and full fuel load was 12,240 lbs. I'll have to look at the break down but the truck axles were almost identical at 36xx. The camper axle weighed 4700. Total gross was the 12240. Okay. I had the truck pegged for 6500-6800 and o figured the camper was in the range of 5500 so it's pretty close.

So we pulled out and the first big grade is Big Savage Mountain. It's a long 6% (I believe). You can't really get a run for it at all so it's a rough climb. I was already in 4th when I hit the bottom. Boost jumped up to about 10 psi. I freaking tour bus was racing a Semi up the hill and I got pinned. I had room on the pyro so I pinned it to the floor to pass. Hello! There's 14-15 psi and pyro is holding 950. You mean I just haven't been pushing it hard enough??? Topped that one a shade over 55. Then the next one is the continental divide. 65. Next one 63. You get the gist. Here is coming up from Friendsville into WV.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hard to see but the boost gauge is running 13-14 and the pyro is 950-1000.

All the while running overdrive for a the in-between little grades. I was thoroughly impressed to be honest.

Coming to the base of the last real pull (cheat mountain/coopers Rock). Get to the bottom and I've really been rolling 70-75. Slow down a bit because I know I want to hit it in 4th. Tack jumps up to just at 3k and as the boost starts up bang. Floats a valve again. Cylinder dead. Let off immediately. Down shifted to third trying to nurse it to the top. A couple loud bangs later and suddenly it's fine again. I don't know what's going on, but if they shimmed the comp 910 valve springs to the right height, there's no way it should float a valve at 3k. That's twice it's done it now. I'm sure there's a piston with a good ding in it from smacking. It's on the pass side bank. After it settled down I'm now half way up, 30 mph. 3 Rd. Push it up the 45 and shift to 4th and still topped that SOB at 60.

So take homes:
Need to use more skinny pedal. Unless it's making 13-15 psi boost, I can't use my fuel. Anything below 10 and the temps start to climb.

I also learned need to use that last 100 degrees of pyro. I never let it get over 1100. I tried to not let it hang out over 1000 at all but we spent just a little time at 1050. Usually as I was just creating the hill.

It's taking some practice learning where to stab it. Luckily I know that road really well so I had a good idea of what's coming.

Water temps were an issue at one point. I don't think it ever got to 250 but it was in the 240's. That problem was fixed once I started driving it right. Between that and the fan clutch we are definitely manageable.

When I get back I'm calling promar to find out how they set the valve springs. I may end up re-shimming them to do away with this valve train issue that I assume is valve floating. I can tell you it's scary as hell when it happens.

Fuel economy is just Sub 10 mpg. I'll see what it was on the last leg flogging it when I fill it up in the morning.

I am a believer in the stanadyne performance additive. First bottle I used, I dumped some in while it was running and I knew the instant it got to the pump. Totally changed the sound. I dosed it heavy on the last fill up. Don't know if it made a power difference or not but it quiets the pump down.

On the towing side, the sway control is a life saver. I think I'm going to try to find a ball mount with slightly more drop. I think the nose of the camper being ever so slightly high to neutral is contributing to the bad behavior although it's been pretty good today with the extra weight.

In the final stretch to here I notice my WTS light came on so it must have shook a wire loose. Deal with that in the morning.

Looking forward to a pretty easy drive the rest of the way comparatively. I'd be ecstatic if not for the hiccup on the last mountain.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm, couple of things:
1. Get a Hypermax Smoke Puff Limiter. It'll take care of your fueling problems right quick.
You can easily adjust it so you don't have to worry about creating massive clouds of black smoke off idle, yet no problems making full power when you have boost.
It's basically a boost-referenced fuel-limiter anyway, and it makes things *much* better.

2. I'm wondering about that valve float...
Pull the valve covers and check for bent pushrods. That's pretty much what it sounds like to me - valve floats, pushrod bends as it's the weakest point, then the lifter finally takes up (most of) the slack. Happened to me a couple of times when I overdrove my Banks Sidewinder turbo, pushing it beyond 22 PSI of boost(it was an exhaust pushrod that bent).
That was also with *stock* valve springs, not shimmed or anything.

Are you 100% sure of your piston to valve clearance(valve recession) spec on this motor? That's what I'd really be concerned about.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Piston-to-valve clearance has scared me from the start but I'm trying to not let that keep me up at night.

We made it to the campground without any other issues. Truck was running a little warm but I was pushing it hard 70-75 through most of KY. Water ran at 230 good chunk of the way through KY. But the AC was cold. It was between 88-90F most of that too.

Camp is set up. Time to relax a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online