Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I've had it run dry for a few seconds every time. Being this was my 3rd or 4th time, it probably ate the pump.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm your man. I'll coach it anyway. That SOB is heavy to fish up through the steering linkage.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the test drive. Drives about as good as a 26 year old truck will without a lot of effort. This NAPA box is not quite as tight as the red head but at least it steers evenly. No surprises. Pump seems to be okay. Now if I can convince myself the motor is okay....

Gonna run up and let Joe give it listen and compare. I'm wondering if the thick shims are causing a little excessive lash on those two valves and causing the heartburn I'm having. I don't know if that's terribly detrimental or not. You can bet the valve cover will come off again regardless to make sure the bolts are still snug. It runs good. Boost is good. No crazy smoke... unless I ask for it. It cleans up quick though.

Inspection tomorrow. Hopefully that is uneventful so I can get my normal tags.

If I thought the motor was okay, I'd be loaded and down for Sunday but I'm still really nervous about it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I've had it run dry for a few seconds every time. Being this was my 3rd or 4th time, it probably ate the pump.
Oh I forgot the first time, it was dry for about 3-4 miles when it blew the return hose off.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Keep in mind also Mike, there is no rule that says you HAVE to arrive Sunday. Although running with the convoy at least part of the way would buy some peace of mind. Strength in numbers.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would definitely be comforting running with a few other trucks. If that works for your schedule.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When i blew the seals out my old gear box i drove her home dry. :mad: (10 miles)

Hope my pump lives on. Lol
It was used and of unknown condition when I got it. It was with my used hydroboost. I was lazy not to replace it but hey, it may have ran for years if it weren't for all the steering gear changes and blown fluid line. It was quiet and worked so I ran with it.

I fixed the steering wheel. Amazingly enough all the marks line up.

Installed the shifter boot for 4wd. Put the doors back together.

Installed the squirter for the windshield washer. That was a B!/@&h. Do yourself a favor and don't screw with the squirter unless the wiper motor is out.

Cleaned up and tidied up some stuff. I'd like to get the windshield trim cleaned up and installed. Maybe tomorrow.

Inspection tomorrow and hopefully we pass so I can keep putting miles on it and a trailer test. Wish I had a good grade on a reasonable stretch of road close. I'd fine tune the timing a little. Hard to tell what it's doing empty. It boosts when it should.

I may have a tiny exhaust leak on the drivers side manifold to pipe connection. It may have closed itself up. I wiped the soot off so we will see if it does it again.

I also have a small oil leak. Rear oil cooler header is leaking oil around one of the bolts. [emoji35] I tried snugging it up a little more but it didn't seem to help. It's not enough for me to worry about right now. Maybe this winter.

That's where we stand. We are also getting the camper ready hopefully not in vain.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can bring my pulse adapter and timing light along to the rally if you wanted to play with the timing more.
If we make it I'll have my meter. I'm going to have about 1000lbs of tools and spare parts I would imagine. My plan has always been to carry my little compressor and a couple air tools, floor jack along with some of the specialty things not just every parts store has. My chase car will be so loaded down I might be able to keep up. LOL

Seriously it's all a game time decision now. I think I must me wrong in the head for even considering this.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
"Seriously it's all a game time decision now. I think I must me wrong in the head for even considering this."

Hehe, the best part is having friends with the same sickness!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we make it I'll have my meter. I'm going to have about 1000lbs of tools and spare parts I would imagine. My plan has always been to carry my little compressor and a couple air tools, floor jack along with some of the specialty things not just every parts store has. My chase car will be so loaded down I might be able to keep up. LOL

Seriously it's all a game time decision now. I think I must me wrong in the head for even considering this.

Wow.Wait until Gary reads this.He's going to be proud.His behind the seat goods can't compete with this plan.:D

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can bring my pulse adapter and timing light along to the rally if you wanted to play with the timing more.

I would like someone to bring a meter to the rally. I know mike said he will bring his. are the two meters different? any one better? just curious.