Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally found one of the 4x4 shifter boots. Got it half cleaned up. Found the bushings for the tailgate hinges. Swapped out the truck sides of the hinges. Beat the rusty tail gate hinges into submission and got the tailgate back on. It won't be dry storage but it's at least somewhat contained. Fans still on the cool down.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your going for it ain't ya? Ballsy,man.Get 'er done.

My older sister has a truck and a camper.Along with it she says she has triple A road side assistance/tow.She mentioned adding a camper to the plan was super affordable as well.Hope this helps.
I'm working toward a test run with the trailer tomorrow night. That will be the decision point for sure. Everything I'm doing now is dual purpose. I need it done for inspection regardless. Inspection has to happen this week or next so other than pride and bruised ego if I pull the plug tomorrow I won't be out anything but some extra sleep I could have had and a few hours of personal time.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made some tow mirror brackets today too. Have to drill a couple holes in the mirror braces and I can test fit them.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering box installed. Had an issue with the stupid plastic clip in the intermediate shaft. Had to fish it out of the upper shaft. [emoji21]

Seems to be almost bled. Hear a couple tiny spots of air but I think it will finish bleeding just fine. Didn't take time to drive it. Of course I got the wheel upside down again. [emoji849]

It's easier for me to pull the wheel than to fight the stupid shaft again. It feels even and reasonably tight. Probably as good as it gets on the old steering shaft and rag joint.

Test drive tomorrow.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how yours is, but my 86 has a flat on the shaft for the steering wheel. I don't know if all of them had that or not though. Not trying to burst your bubble, but you may end up changing it at the shaft end.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how yours is, but my 86 has a flat on the shaft for the steering wheel. I don't know if all of them had that or not though. Not trying to burst your bubble, but you may end up changing it at the shaft end.
It happened when I took the shaft apart in the middle. It is not keyed and can go together 180 out.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine had that also but I think you can press it past them. I changed the column on my truck and had to do that, it seemed to press over easy. it was also only 1 or 2 notches though.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Test drive fail. No power steering or brakes. I guess what I thought was air was the PS pump quitting.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No big deal.Hop on the phone and go grab one from a parts store Mike.Get 'er done! Keep at it!;Sweet

Remember after changing the steering box,to have someone ready to pour in fluid as you start the truck asap.If no one to help,just start the truck and shut it right off within 2 seconds and keep topping it up.
You can also just remove the belt and spin the pump by hand as you pour in the fluid.Either works.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only concern is what caused it all of a sudden. The pump was growling a bit when I was bleeding it. I had it jacked up. It was not a new pump so I can accept that it just died. I just hope it didn't fill my hydroboost and new steering gear full of crap.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My power steering pump failed recently and when I pulled it off I found now sign that the fluid was contaminated. Hopefully you're just as lucky, maybe pull your filter off and have a look for that shiny

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
No big deal.Hop on the phone and go grab one from a parts store Mike.Get 'er done! Keep at it!;Sweet

Remember after changing the steering box,to have someone ready to pour in fluid as you start the truck asap.If no one to help,just start the truck and shut it right off within 2 seconds and keep topping it up.
You can also just remove the belt and spin the pump by hand as you pour in the fluid.Either works.
I would disable fss on the ip next time i do it solo and just crank with the starter. Engine fired and i shut it off instantly. Reservoir was empty:eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle