Project Big Red

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind also Mike, there is no rule that says you HAVE to arrive Sunday. Although running with the convoy at least part of the way would buy some peace of mind. Strength in numbers.

Seriously it's all a game time decision now. I think I must me wrong in the head for even considering this.

Convoy is super nice to have on a trip like this. I'm often rolling hundreds on miles loaded heavy with the family in tow ALONE. It's something that can raise your blood pressure for a few hundred miles. LOL But, with guys running with you that have years of IDI experience, that's a safety net I wish I'd had many many times on rally trips.

Nothing wrong with you Mike. I've literally finished major work on the truck and immediately hooked up the fifth wheel, grabbed the family, and hit the road for hundreds of miles in the middle of the night heading to rallies. Even woke poor Travis (and the rest of the campground LOL) at 3am rolling in for a rally.

You can do it man.

Heath

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yea we invited roy to the potluck and told him to bring his idi. i timed it up for him. he nephew lives around the corner from me. he noticed my address when he took a copy of our licences when we borrowed the trailer.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Well.... I think I get to add to my list of firsts...First non family member to ride in Project Big Red.

The truck is awesome - the work Mike has done to it is insane. The sound of a ball bearing turbo is something that would take me a minute to get used to. Don't remember the sound from when I rode in Heath's truck last year.

Mike you really have done a great job with the truck. As I said, makes me realize the hill I need to climb with mine!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Joe. Hope you got lots of ideas for bad ways to spend money. That's pretty much how I sum this project up. It's been worse than a boat. @IDIoit Poke...

I feel better about the engine health after listening to Joe's truck. It sounds pretty much the same. The old man has a lot of potential. Hopefully we will start unlocking some of it.

If anything mine seems to have gotten quieter with driving. I may still pull the valve cover again to check the bolts but I think she's healthy.

So inspection went so so. It failed but for three really stupid reasons. My master cylinder wasn't full enough. Apparently half full and well between the marks isn't good enough. I think it was just so clean the guy couldn't see it.

The reverse lights in the bumper didn't work. Well duh. They aren't reverse lights. They are auxiliary lights. The reverse lights work fine.

The right high beam was out. Well, the plug was loose on the back of the light. The wire harness was laying on it and bouncing it out. Re-routed harness and plugged it in. Good now.

Last one was the parking brake. Tech claimed it needed tightened up. I can't shove it to the floor and when the tow truck driver set it Saturday, the wheels were locked up and it slid down the rollback bed. Well long story short I think the problem was the guy was short according to how the seat was adjusted. There is no slack in it now.

That all took less than 15 minutes.

Hopefully I can take it back in the morning and get it signed off.

Tonight I stopped and got some new belts. They were really screaming tonight. The tech complained about it. They do quit once you get it warmed up a bit but it's really annoying until you do. I actually think the crank pulley might be a touch out of whack and that might be contributing to my noise issues.

Tomorrow I'll do the mirror extensions. Take the camper for a test run.

Feeling a little better about things. If the test run goes well we may still be in.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also put the windshield trim back on. It's not polished like I wanted but it's installed.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the tech was being extra picky on a bunch of stuff. Then again maybe where you are at inspections are much more strict. Funny thing is I thought PA was bad, lol! Keep up the good work though! I'm excited to see it if you decide to still go to the rally.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Sounds like the tech was being extra picky on a bunch of stuff. Then again maybe where you are at inspections are much more strict. Funny thing is I thought PA was bad, lol! Keep up the good work though! I'm excited to see it if you decide to still go to the rally.

PA sees them yearly. IMHO, MD only sees them when registered. Keep the tags and insurance current and you can drive a ****** heap of crap! I think most techs expect a bunch of issues. I bypassed inspection on my truck and went with historic plates. I have to be more diligent in how I use the truck because that is a huge flag for the law.

I will soon find out on inspections though- the wife is at the same shop this am for a inspection of a new to me Nissan Altima (new windshield, wipers, brakes, rotors and fluid flush on the last 4 days and 6 page one owner car fax)

Like Mike said last night - he should be proud that he rebuilt a truck and that was all they could find fault with.