Project Big Red

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer you didn't get a good reman red head like I did.With tight steering after driving with the slop,it makes the truck feel so tight and new again.After all these hours of wrenching,you deserve nothing less.I sure hope they help ya out.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Made it home with the camper. Only real issue with the truck was the drivers window jumped the track so I had to take the door apart in the parking lot.

Few observations.

1. I have got to get the steering fixed. She was a little squirrelly empty going down the freeway at 70. Put the trailer on and it was a white knuckle experience.

I won't pull it again without the bars and/or the sway control. I drove the hour home with my finger on the brake control to straighten it out when it would start to sway.

I can't see poop. Must have better mirror situation.

I am not making boost. It never got over 5lbs enemy getting on it with the camper. EGT's were hard to keep in check. Also think that it's severely down on power and that's probably why. I could only use about half throttle which just doesn't seem right. I have not timed it yet. Maybe it's really retarded. It's not a smokey pig but it will make smoke if you get on it. It's almost like the turbo is doing nothing. Must put the timing meter on it. Maybe this afternoon.

I tried downshifting and running 4th but then my water temp started climbing. It got warm for just a few seconds maybe 230-235. Never 250.

I also have a slight driveline vibration that I think might be my slip yoke. While I was greasing things last night I noticed a tiny bit of play in it. Might have to swap it out.

So it was successful in that I got there and back with no major issues but I uncovered some more problems. One things for sure, I'll not be towing that thing all the way to KY the way things are. She was struggling on these baby mountains. No way it would have made it going across the bigger ones. Lots of work to do now.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely check timing. Makes a huge difference. The lack of boost seems weird. You're outside my knowledge area with the intercooler and upgraded turbo.

Have you had the alignment checked yet? Is there a chance it needs more caster? Are you running overloads on the rear? If you need an alignment I might get it aligned with 2-400lbs in the bed to replicate some tongue weight. Definitely have the fuel tanks full. Although if it did it empty also then tongue weight doesn't seem to be the problem. You might check about clocking the tie rods on the dana 60 stuff. You can rotate them in a way that minimizes the dead spot in the typical factory dana 60 steering arms. It's basically what the "the fix" in the jeep world corrects.

Also Yeah I won't pull an enclosed bumper pull without sway control. They're wiggly the whole time. You get used to it, but sway control makes a big difference. Especially in a wind, which we have in Iowa all the time.

What type of RPM where you running? I find that if I run 2500 or better my coolant temps come down. Under 2300 if I'm pulling hard my temps climb. So if I'm "lugging" in a higher gear and temps come up typically I drop a gear and get the RPM's up and she cools back off.

Glad to hear you got the camper home! That's a huge accomplishment!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well that's good, but also a little bad. I would do the timing first and see what that does. could you have a boost leak somewhere?

something I would urge you to check is the coolant temp while towing before you go on a long trip. my truck would run 220*empty on the highway, now add a trailer to that. I have done some things different with the cooling system this year but the biggest improvement was getting the fan clutch to stay engaged. it might take some power but it has never gotten above 195* so far.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may need a fan clutch. As soon as I let off it would cool down pretty quick.

It was weird. In 4th to run the revs up a bit EGT's would moderate but water temp went up. That doesn't make sense. Based on what Heath said my boost numbers are way low.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh. Got to fix the fuel gauge too. Don't know what's up with that.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
+1 on the fan clutch, they wear out so slowly that its really hard to tell if you need a new one. Pulling with a load is a good way to find out.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have luck Hayden fan clutches? I know motorcraft is best but I'm on a deadline.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
ouch, i am sorry hear about all the problems but i fully believe you will get through it.

as far as the mirrors a cheap set of extensions and some round bubble mirrors can help. they are not very stylish but help. i have a set of these from my old mirrors, i am not sure they would fit your mirror style but they are yours if you want them.

https://www.amazon.com/****-11500-Custom-Towing-Mirrors/dp/B00069D55M

i know when i was running the fan clutch on my idi it would not kick in until 215 to 220. i knew it was kicking in though, i could hear the roar of the fan in the cab going down the highway and it worked. i can't find it right now but Elijah mentioned that you can drill out the fan clutches and add some fluid to get them to engage sooner.

that's one of the reasons why i pulled my engine. even if i kept the EGT's under control the water temps would eventually get me on the hills. you have a mush stronger cleaner and fresh set up. (i did find out my old engine had some broken valve springs) i would be looking close for some boost leaks after you get it timed. you should be able to get much better than 5psi.

its no red head but my advanced auto steering box is still tight and working well after about 4 years. i needed one quickly in a pinch and they had one on the shelf.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
its no red head but my advanced auto steering box is still tight and working well after about 4 years. i needed one quickly in a pinch and they had one on the shelf.
I'm running the same box ( yes the rangers take the same part number ) no issues at all and thats with 35s.

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pull our 32 ft bumper pull with my 08 srw f-350. I always use the bars and sway control. It can pull without it, but it is so much better with it.

My steering gear from advanced auto works great.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your best mirror option would be the recreational mirrors like I have. im sure you wouldn't want to drill holes to mount a set but it would be my recommendation.