Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I updated. I've been mired down in body work and took the wife on a little vacation. 20 years we've been together. [emoji15]

Anyway, if you saw the public service announcement thread you know I'm finishing out the cab corners. What a learning experience this has been. Products are so different than what I used last time I did anything resembling this. Just to refresh. Don't do this.

You must be registered for see images attach

You will hate yourself. This panel was pretty warped and was trying to oil can so I welded a support in behind it.

A LOT of sanding and filler later.....

Then on to the glaze....

This U-pol dolphin glaze is really nice stuff. The upol flyweight filler isn't too bad either.

That side is pretty much ready for primer. I blocked it to 180 with my ~16" foam block. In the end it was a ton of work but it turned out pretty decent I think. I'll know when the primer goes on it.

In the mean time I stripped the primer off the drivers side and skinned the paint up a little higher.

As you can see, there is old filler in there from an old dent repair. I cut a lot of the dented metal out with the rust repair. It had been pulled out and filled.

So I stripped it back a little more and slapped the fiber bond to it.

I'm no expert, but I think this is much more reasonable. LOL

I started with the block then went to the DA to smooth it out and feather the edges. Knowing that it will get blocked with the other filler.

I'm trying to learn from my mistakes. :D

Anyway, we shall see where we get tomorrow. With the cab corners done, there's really not anymore serious body work. Need to weld up the last couple holes from the visor. Clean up the bottom of the pass door. That's about it. If the weather will cooperate a little longer, I may make paint before it snows.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this side ready for primer.

I'm getting better at slinging the filler. It only took one round of fiber bond, 1 round of regular filler, and 2 rounds of glazing. I have no idea how many it took on the other side.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked up on your thread in awhile. Is there anything on this truck that you haven't done? :D

Nice work! ;Sweet

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The short answer is yes, but you can count those things probably on one hand. [emoji15]

I did not split the tcase and go through it and I did not do the rearend other than new bearings and seals on the hubs. Those are the only two major things I haven't been through.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Great progress man! Looks like nothing but good weather for as far as the forecast goes too. Thats a nice gift!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not tons of truck progress. Did a whole bunch of garage cleaning. Changed the oil in momma's car, then I welded up the remaining visor holes.

In general, I grind them flat, then use the round end of my ball peen hammer as a drift and give them a little ding in. Weld, grind flat and fill.

I'm contemplating a change to high build primer over the basic 2k I bought. It would let me block a little more, a little easier if I want to. Honestly, the truck is pretty straight anywhere I haven't screwed with it.

Got a run of decent weather this week. Hoping for good things.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those cab sides look primer ready to me! Looking really good Mike. I'm really impressed with how it's coming along.

Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stainless hardware kit shipped today. Massive garage cleaning has happened.

Went from this:

To this:

I ran my air line tonight. Bought the J channel for the filter box. I think I'm loosing the extra car out of the garage this weekend so I don't mind putting things on hold a little to make that happen.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Progress has been slow but steady. I got rid of the extra car in the garage. That has been life changing.

Tonight I stuck the old steering wheel on and went through the steering buttoning it all up except the pitman arm nut which is tight but not at full torque so I now at least have steering.

Next order of business is to move the truck over out of the booth. I think I'm going to try to scuff the fenders and prime them and figure out how to paint them. I think I'll be painting them off the truck as easy as they seem to go on. Supposed to be nice this weekend. Wish it was all prepped and ready. Work is really cutting into my truck time.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Great work Mike! You've totally turned a corner on this beast. You'll get her done, 261 days till the rally!

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your new panels aren't damaged, you can 320 grit DA sand the black primer. Then spray a sealer coat, let it tack dry, start with the color coat and then clear. Even with areas that need a little filler you don't have to prime the entire panel, that just adds more film build which can cause longevity issues down the road.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in awe. Very good work sir. I rummaged through this thread with a low hanging jaw through most of the work as it was truly inspiring and astounding the depth and completeness you have put into it. I will be eagerly awaiting the final product, and I do hope it brings you years of service. Impressive work, well done.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been quite a journey. Hoping the payoff comes soon. Patients is wearing thin.