Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does pretty good. I've got 5 years on it now. As long as the wood is good and dry, it puts off a ton of heat. I put two 30" box fans on Hi behind it when it's ripping. It will heat the garage pretty good until you get in the lower 20's. Then you need a little extra. But most of the garage has no ceiling and there's no insulation anywhere.

Desperately need to change the pipe out though. It's pretty scary. Almost could have used a little heat this evening.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Those look like standard Stanley boxes.
But I'm guessing you built the shelving?
I like it. I need to do something similar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't built the shelves yet. I stole that pic from the inter web but they are actually HF. Same idea. Probably same shape. Slightly cheaper.

If you google small part storage it's one of the things that pop up.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, first shift update.

I fixed the hood hoist.

You must be registered for see images attach

That fixes the angle and let's me adjust it on the fly. Here is what it looks like all together.

Got the hood out of the rafters and loaded up.

And you can lay it right in there.

With the hoist boom and the tilt control, you can wiggle it right into position. There is still some tweaking to do and I'm all but positive, it won't work with the cowl on. Maybe standing up really steep. Not sure. I'll find out later.
The fingers at the end are too long and it made it really hard to get the arms out after the hinges were attached.

So given that all this metal is aftermarket, the moment of truth was coming.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continued.

The only issue is up front.

The profile of the hood and the fender aren't exactly the same. I could probably massage it a little but honestly, it's pretty damn good.

The key that let it come together is I had to shim the drivers side hinge out away from the firewall.

Last edited:

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good!!!! Yeah sometimes aftermarkets gets really close to fitting well. I've seen lot of factory steel not lined up at well from the factory. Love the hood lift...anyway to make the hooks removable or did I miss that?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worry the hooks will damage the paint if you paint the hood while off. It is difficult to remove or install the cowl with the hood in place also. The alignment looks good. It would probably be easier to get help installing the hood.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I got the air dam on.

This side is pretty decent.

This side needs some work.

I also field stripped the pass door.

Need to pull the handle and lock sets out then clean up the bottoms. Both doors had some rust in the seam but it's not bad enough that I'm going to mess with it right now other than just clean it up good and patch it up.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also field stripped the pass door.

don't forget to put the bolt carrier group back in!

looking awesome.

you may find after putting the hood stops back in that it will raise the front of the hood a bit.
which in turn will raise the back of the hood some. that may be adjusted out with a little movement of the rear hindge.

I would think about installing the latch and the stops for S&G, just to be sure.
and if youre going innercooled, nows a good time to fab it in.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bolt carrier group??? Color me confused... but that is not at all unusual.

Its actually sitting on the stops in the front. I adjusted them up so that it would sit even with the fenders and such. Probably a good call on the latch.

I have been debating about going ahead and fabbing in the intercooler. I'm just afraid I'm running out of time. I would need to get the AC condenser mounted and I guess the radiator so I know where to put things. I guess for now I just need to know where the pipes poke through the core support and then fab the mount brackets. I think I'm going to go ahead and order a can of the accelerator for the SPI paint system. It is supposed to extend the temp range down below 65. I'm not sure how much but I may put an order in for that and reducer that's a little faster if it looks like its going to be cold. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will stay decent up into November.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only real trucks have bolt carrier groups installed :D

sorry too many times ive "field stripped"
always brings me back to my military days and spending way too much time at the armory

the innercooler is actually pretty easy, unless youre trying to keep AC then you got a fight on your hands lol
the odds are in your favor.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I get it. ;Sweet

If I want momma to ride with me... we will be keeping the AC. I'm figuring there will be a fight. At least I don't need room for a trans cooler too. I got the OBS bumper trim piece to open the bumper up for more air flow to the rad and stuff so I may have to get a little creative with where the IC actually lands. Hope not though. If I have to thin the grill a bit, I'm good with that too.