Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after several hours of yard work and garage cleaning, finally got on the truck. I took the latches out of the doors. Took the handles off so they are now naked. I've got a little bit of work to do on the bottom of both doors. I don't think I'm going to do much, just wire wheel to clean up the seem and if I don't make any holes I'll just go with it.

I worked on the one ding on the pass fender.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's not perfect but it's better than it was.

While I was waiting for the filler to dry I realized I hadn't put hose clamps on my rear fuel tank connections so I took care of that.

That's it for tonight. Arms are tired.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, couldn't take it.

Went over it with some glaze. I also worked on a place on the other fender. There was a little ridge where the inner structure is fastened so I smoothed it out.

I also fixed the air dam. Forgot to take a pic but essentially the bend in the mounting tab was in the wrong place. I sliced it with the body saw then pushed it in place and welded it back together.

Now I have to decide order of operations. I know I've beat it to death here (which isn't a tenth of how many times I've worked it out in my head) but I think I'm going to blow the front off and paint it separate. Decent weather this week and into the weekend. We shall see what happens.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I did stuff today but photobucket won't let me show you. Guess you'll have to wait.

[emoji6]

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Heard photobucket went down today.
I either directly upload, or send it to my Google Drive or Google photos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There we go.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could say that. Had help this weekend. Makes all the difference in the world.

In case anyone was wondering, the doors were galvanized.

If you look, you can see different splotches of color. The brighter areas are the zinc galvanize, the darker areas are bare steel. If you look back to the other pictures, the drivers door at molding height, has a stripe of steel. It was white there when I pulled the molding off, I first thought filler but it was actually zinc oxide from the galvanize corroding.

I didn't take a ton of pictures today but here's what I have.

I took before pics but no afters where I re-did some bad seam sealer.

Cleaned out with a wire wheel.

I refilled those and smoothed them out. Lots of sanding later, I pushed it out in the driveway and blew the dirt off of it. Pulled the front clip all but the core support. Scuffed the cowl area. Cleaned up a few other little spots. Put the filters in the booth. Blew the walls, lights, floors etc with air with the fan running. Hosed the floor down and then drug the truck back in with the winch. Little Jealous, I let dad drive it back in while I winched. He said the seats are lacking though.

LOL

So we wiped it all down with wax and grease remover and that's pretty much where we go to. Supposed to be 65 tomorrow so we will mask in the morning, quick wipe to make sure everything is good and prime in the afternoon. Then it's just keeping it warm till the epoxy cures out. From there we will see where we go. I'll either jamb everything and put it back together or I'll paint the clip separately and put it on. We will see how things go and how the weather cooperates with my schedule.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oah man, the turning point is damn near!
it will be nice to get it in primer!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Looking great so far, my truck needs a good sand down and re paint before the cancer gets a chance to really set it. Can't wait to see it painted up!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Step 1. Epoxy primer. Check.

Booth is just a little too narrow.

But functional. Went from open to this in 30 min.

So I have a couple places where the paint just didn't want to stick. Any place it didn't stick it ran.

I also have developed an air delivery problem. I'm not sure where it is but it caused me grief on the pass side. When the air dies unexpectedly, it kinda ****** the paint out of the gun. No Bueno. Go to fix that before I do anything.

So notes on the booth. Other than being too narrow, I had an issue when I turned the fan on wide open. With the filters in, it pulls the wall in too much for my liking. Turned the fan down a little with the dimmer and that solved that problem. It kept up with the overspray really well even with the fan turned down. Surface temps were staying above 65 at 50 outside with the fan on. The ventilation was great. On the outside of the booth, there was no real paint smell so keeping heater or fire on is no issue for heat.

Still getting a little dirt. I think it's a combination of lint, dirt from crevasses and random dirt too. I also found that my filter on the gun inlet was broken when I finished. Don't know when that happened.

All in all, it wasn't terrible but there's room for improvement.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too tired to grin. I've been non-stop since Thursday evening. If Dad hadn't jumped in, we never would have got the primer on it. We both sanded our guts out for 2 days.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yum dammy! You must be just grinning from ear to ear!
**** eating grin forsure!

good lawd man, that looks really good for a primer!
I know the paint is wet, but im talking about the body work.
damn fine job boy!
now get back to sanding, its ready lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually no it wasn't wet when I took the pics.

I'm pretty happy with the body work. If I can just get it in color without screwing it up too bad.

I messed up and mixed too much primer. It has 72 hr pot life so I'm hoping I can get the fenders and hood shot this week.