Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No oil analysis on that one. I will probably do it on the next change. Nothing out of the ordinary that I could see. That oil probably had less than 500 miles on it but I should have diluted out any crap in the oil from the debacle by now. I figure it will be interesting to see how bad the bearings actually are. I suspect they will be okay. I just worry about the top end so much with all the crap I’ve been through with it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trip report time.

So really it was a pretty uneventful trip as far as the truck was concerned.

Traveled out I-68 truck and trailer. The headwinds were absolutely brutal. Like 30-50 mph brutal. Truck got pretty warm on Big Savage but cooled right off at the summit. I’m not sure the fan ever kicked on. Honestly, I’m back to thinking the thermostat isn’t passing enough water to deal with the heat load from the turbo. I think I’m going to bypass the turbo water past the thermostat.

Even with the head wind she pulled big savage 62-65 mph in 4th.

You must be registered for see images attach

That’s flat on the floor. All she had. You can see I still have fuel pressure so it’s not starving for fuel although I did notice on the rear tank it was pretty much 0 flat out. All that was discussed in my carrier pump observation thread. I think a lot of the issues with the Facet pumps are supply side restriction. My plumbing is all custom so probably less restrictive than stock.

One bit of excitement was it did blow an intercooler boot crossing into WV. Going from turbo to NA sucks!!

Got to the mountains.

Had one other casualty. Lost the grill emblem.

Buddy found it in the road going up from the river. Broke the plastic mounts right off the back. Roads out there are absolutely horrible. Truck just got beat to pieces.

Cont.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course I don’t have another one. The black grill and silver grill use a slightly different one than the chrome.

It’s shaped different on the back.

On the trip home in the rain it really sucked.

Totally blind the entire way. Got to fix that somehow. Going to try rainex first.

Fixed my issue of the drivers door getting into the front fender. Door just drooped a bunch for some reason. I tossed some shims into it to straighten it out.

Think I’ll drive it to work tomorrow. Co-worker picked up a brick nose gasser for a work truck. I’ve been helping him iron some stuff out.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
62-65 cresting Big Savage @ 20psi boost! I'm glad you took pictures, I wouldn't even be close enough to sniff your exhaust fumes and my camper is far lighter than yours! In cold weather, I can pull Sidling around 60mph. Probably could improve that if I didn't have to ease up on the throttle due to exhaust temps. I'm not studded so max boost is set at factory 6 or 7psi. Huge mistake on my part not studding the heads when I had them removed for valve job....... Live & Learn......... Looks like you had a nice trip. That's a plump brownie!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
62-65 cresting Big Savage @ 20psi boost! I'm glad you took pictures, I wouldn't even be close enough to sniff your exhaust fumes and my camper is far lighter than yours! In cold weather, I can pull Sidling around 60mph. Probably could improve that if I didn't have to ease up on the throttle due to exhaust temps. I'm not studded so max boost is set at factory 6 or 7psi. Huge mistake on my part not studding the heads when I had them removed for valve job....... Live & Learn......... Looks like you had a nice trip. That's a plump brownie!
That was a little one. River was full of those browns. Caught some really nice rainbows. 16” of rainbow trout jumping out of the water on 4lb test and a 9’ toothpick for a rod is a good time.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t take any pictures but it pulled the charge pipe off the turbo on the way to work the other day. Ordered a 6” coupler and trimmed about 1.25” off it. Lots of pipe in the boot now. Should be good to go.

I’ll be putting up my pre-rally list soon.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I looked for one but everything I found was short. Is the hump hose just to let it flex more? I don’t really see the purpose otherwise.

That's the theory. it lets the IC float with the core support, and the engine float on the mounts without putting torque to the IC tubes.

If you think about it, imagine a capping off a 3 foot piece of 2.5" silicone hose on each end, and pressurizing it to 25psi. It wouldn't be very easy to bend.

Also, think of one of your couplers. All clamped down tight. If you handed it to me and told me to get it to come loose, I would try bending it back and fourth and back and forth till I could get it to come loose.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the theory. it lets the IC float with the core support, and the engine float on the mounts without putting torque to the IC tubes.

If you think about it, imagine a capping off a 3 foot piece of 2.5" silicone hose on each end, and pressurizing it to 25psi. It wouldn't be very easy to bend.

Also, think of one of your couplers. All clamped down tight. If you handed it to me and told me to get it to come loose, I would try bending it back and fourth and back and forth till I could get it to come loose.
You and all your logic. That has no place here!!

LOL

LOL

LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trip report time. Took the truck across the mountains. No issues. Got about 16-16.5 mpg. Hauled a load of drywall. Nothing too crazy. Just trying to get some miles on her. I think we have officially made it to 10k miles since recommissioning. Still have some bugs to work out but I’m trying to just drive and enjoy it for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online