Project Big Red

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the air filter. Had a 6637 on there. Went with the Donaldson equivalent. Seems to fit good.

You must be registered for see images attach

I think it was ready.

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]
I have the same on my rig, if you drill a hole and screw a filter minder into the flat end you'll never have to guess again!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut and paste from the other thread. Slip joint was froze but no corrosion.

So this is what it took to separate it.

It’s ratchet strapped between the post and the truck. Then I put tension on it and had to BEAT IT apart with a BFH. Yeah, so much for slip joint.

This is what it looked like coming out.

Then I cleaned it up.

I don’t know how I missed this when I put it together. I guess I was in too big a hurry. Anyway, bottom line is this isn’t working. Coating is all chewed up. Screw it.

Yes. I know. You aren’t supposed to do this.

Based on the back story on this piece I don’t think the original spline shaft was supposed to be coated. Anyway, long story short, it was no good the way it was. If it causes a vibration now I’ll do something about it. But I’d rather have a little vibration than have it wipe out the carrier bearing and transfer case slip yoke going down I-81 because the driveshaft keeps shrinking in length.

Last edited:

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man! Looks like those splines were painted with blue loctite!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man! Looks like those splines were painted with blue loctite!

That's the factory coating. Mine has it too. Not sure if you caught it in the other thread but his didn't have it and the shop wouldn't work on it unless he replaced the "missing coating" therefore causing the whole issue.

@laserjock does yours actually have a grease fitting already? I'm thinking mine didn't...

Thanks for the follow up on the TRE boots!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
So I did change the grease boot on the tie rod.

These fit nice. FYI.

i might have to order some of these, i just replaced my tie rod and the boot it came with is terrible. it is a hard plastic i had to cut down to fit......

have you had a chance to spin it up on the road yet?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the factory coating. Mine has it too. Not sure if you caught it in the other thread but his didn't have it and the shop wouldn't work on it unless he replaced the "missing coating" therefore causing the whole issue.

@laserjock does yours actually have a grease fitting already? I'm thinking mine didn't...

Thanks for the follow up on the TRE boots!
Yes. It has a grease fitting.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i might have to order some of these, i just replaced my tie rod and the boot it came with is terrible. it is a hard plastic i had to cut down to fit......

have you had a chance to spin it up on the road yet?

Not yet. Should drive it tonight. It got too late and I was too tired and greasy to clean up and go for a spin last night.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Not yet. Should drive it tonight. It got too late and I was too tired and greasy to clean up and go for a spin last night.

i know how you feel! i finished up changing "most" of the injection pump last night at about 1am. just enough to fire up the truck, confirm it works then go clean up and drop for work the next day.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the air filter. Had a 6637 on there. Went with the Donaldson equivalent. Seems to fit good.

I think it was ready.

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

What is the diameter of your intake pipe? I need a new filter and when I put a tape on my pipe it looks like 3.25” od.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the diameter of your intake pipe? I need a new filter and when I put a tape on my pipe it looks like 3.25” od.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want to say it’s 4” pipe.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Road test went well. No vibration on the freeway. Filled up with fuel. 15.8 mpg. There’s a good bit of idling on that so I’ll take it. Need to top the tcase off from pulling the drive shaft but other than that I think she’s about ready to fly. Needs a good bath. Hopefully over the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online