1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Big Red

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by laserjock, May 18, 2013.

1. tjsea

tjsea Full Access Member

You could always use a key switch from an electric start walk behind lawn mower. They are a 2 position switch that is spring loaded to the off position. Only thing would be how to reverse polarity to run the winch the opposite direction. Unless of course you used 2 switches, one for up and one for down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. laserjock

laserjock Almost there... Supporting Member

I looked at keys but yes it needs to run both directions.

Little update. Made a couple tweaks. Need a couple more.

The tire is just barely touching the finned diff cover. I’m going to slide the mount forward a touch then get the right size tire. This one is oversized.

Pulled it down to finish welding it.

subway, bbjordan and tjsea like this.
  3. catbird7

catbird7 Full Access Member

Another possible upgrade might be swapping the standard cable for stainless? Might be a little pricey however considering it as a one time deal on a truck you have no intentions of selling it may be something to think about?

4. laserjock

That was the original plan. I may in the future. My truck doesn’t see a lot of abuse so I think it will hold up pretty well. If I see it corroding, I can change it. Stainless cable isn’t that expensive for the 6’ you’d need.

5. laserjock

IMG_7045.jpg

Welded the bracket all up.

IMG_7052.jpg

Shot it in acid etch primer and then Raptor liner. Looks decent. I slotted the holes a bit to have some adjustment. I think it will work fine. I picked up a white-Rogers contactor and some wire. The plan being to re-wire everything and put the control box up on the frame rail.

I finally drove the truck with the fuel pressure gauge and at WOT it drops from 8.5 to 4 PSI roughly. I also think the fan is working better although the giddyness I had was squashed when I realized the roar I heard going up the road was the front end. Left the hubs locked in. Whoops.

Anyway, time will tell.

6. laserjock

Alright time for an update. After several episodes of figuring it out. Here’s what I finally came up with.

IMG_7078.jpg
    IMG_7079.jpg

There’s the bracket with the which mounted. It’s mounted with grade 5 carriage bolts.

IMG_7080.jpg

And here it is bolted up. Then I finally filled that last spot with a 12v power switch.

IMG_7086.jpg

Cont.

tjsea likes this.
  7. laserjock

So here is how I decided to power it all.

IMG_7092.jpg

So I used the box that had the winch remote control stuff in it. I bought a winch controller for an ATV I grounded it through the plate and used that spot to run the control cable through so it’s pretty much sealed up. I stuck the circuit breaker in the box where the remote control module was.

I took that and drilled the plate to fit the license plate holes.
    IMG_7096.jpg

On the outside, I went with a flip down license plate holder and drilled a hole for the plug to go through.

IMG_7093.jpg
    IMG_7095.jpg
    IMG_7100.jpg

Cont.

YJMike92, chillman88 and tjsea like this.
  8. laserjock

Wires are all loomed up.
    IMG_7097.jpg

The basic idea here is I used a heavy duty contactor because I didn’t want to leave power on it all the time. Eventually the plan is to put a heavy power port behind the plate too. I pulled 2AWG cable to power the contactor. It should easily run a 1000W inverter.

And it works!

IMG_7101.jpg

While I was at it I pulled an extra strand for the bumper lights.

IMG_7099.jpg

That about does that. Now I need to figure out why I have a wet spot on the back side of the rear passenger tire.

9. laserjock

So went to investigate the damp spot on the tire. What I found was surprising.

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7104.jpg

Luckily I don’t throw things away so I had the spring and pin.

IMG_7108.jpg

Needed the spring too.

Turns out the dampness is a slight axle seal leak. It’s not enough to get on the shoes so I’m not tackling it this week. I used scot seals so I’m not sure what the deal is.

Anyway. It’s all back together. This tool is a life saver.

IMG_7107.jpg

Hopefully that does it to get through this first trip.

10. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's pretty odd...

I did too and had a leak. Not sure why either. I did it again with scot seals but put a coat of RTV on the parts that don't move. Haven't had a problem since. I know you shouldn't have to, but it fixed the problem for me and that's all that matters in my book.

11. catbird7

catbird7 Full Access Member

[QUOTE=

Turns out the dampness is a slight axle seal leak. It’s not enough to get on the shoes so I’m not tackling it this week. I used scot seals so I’m not sure what the deal is.

Make certain you have good lock washers on the axle bolts and a little "blue" thread locker on them also a good idea. Numerous times I've had leaks start because those bolts work loose.

laserjock likes this.
  12. laserjock

13. laserjock

Well, what started out as a simple oil change and rear brake adjustment spiraled downward quickly.

Dropping the drain plug and I look up and see this.

IMG_7111.jpg

Huh. That’s not right. Last couple times I backed the trailer up I had a noise. Guess I found that. Got it back together with some loctite. I’m thinking I may have put 12mm bolts in before by mistake and they just rattled out. That’s all I can figure. Got it back together with grade 8 half inch bolts. Hopefully that will take care of all that.

Went to adjust the brakes up, drivers side behaves normal. Go to the passenger side. Crap. That’s a lot of wetness. Pull the wheel. Wheel cylinder is leaking (to super surprised but I hoped I’d get lucky) and the self adjuster clip is not anywhere near the star wheel. So now I get to disassemble it, change wheel cylinder and bleed the brakes tomorrow night. So much for driving it to work tomorrow. Guess I’ll shake it down with the camper attached. LOL

Did manage to get the oil changed though.

chillman88, F350camper and tjsea like this.
  14. tjsea

tjsea Full Access Member

Well you aren't new to shake down runs with the trailer attached, lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

F350camper and laserjock like this.
  15. laserjock

True dat.

LOL

tjsea likes this.