Project Big Blue

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So question for you Wes, do you forsee having issues with glow plugs with a more advanced timing? I had timed a truck for a guy at 11 degrees per his request and a month later his 2 month old glow plugs started going bad. Now with all this being said I'm not 100% sure I trust this guy on everything so I gotta take it with a grain of salt. Also I'm not totally up on how a pump works, but how much does the pump advance and retard mechanisms vary the timing? Are your pumps set up with different internal advances than a stock calibration pump?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So question for you Wes, do you forsee having issues with glow plugs with a more advanced timing? I had timed a truck for a guy at 11 degrees per his request and a month later his 2 month old glow plugs started going bad. Now with all this being said I'm not 100% sure I trust this guy on everything so I gotta take it with a grain of salt. Also I'm not totally up on how a pump works, but how much does the pump advance and retard mechanisms vary the timing? Are your pumps set up with different internal advances than a stock calibration pump?

Good questions!

Wes, thanks for being on the Oilburners R&D team! I love it that you're doing what you're doing with BB! Nearly the exact same truck as Raylan with the same use profile. This is great for me as I can see what to do next in real time. We've been jamming trying to maintain an income stream since cv19 hit, doing our best to teach remotely...
When I get some time, I'll go back and update our original "project saburai" thread to bring it up to speed...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, I’ve read about guys burning out glow plugs because of advanced timing but I haven’t been able to replicate it even in extreme situations of injection timing, duration and high cylinder pressure, I’ve had the same set of zd9 glow plugs in the shop truck for four engines now, granted I don’t use them as much as something in North Dakota, but neither a truck from Arizona. It may come down to a quality issue, maybe QC with the motorcraft parts are going downhill.

These DB2 pumps have mechanical and hydraulic advance. The hydraulic advance is controlled by the transfer pressure, delivery valve setting, inlet feed pressure, and housing pressure. The hydraulic advance portion of the pump can move up to 6* independently of the mechanical portion. The mechanical portion is the kidney slots on the pump flange, and your cam ring. The cam ring controls the pumping of the plungers, there’s a lot of variety in cam rings, my higher output pumps I swap to increase filling and injection duration. The cam ring has a mechanical timing movement advanced and retarded, on the cam pin which is operated by the advance piston, which is mechanically levered by the light load advance cam on the throttle shaft. So the cam ring can be rotated to advance and retard the timing about 9* tops, any of my pumps with a locked advance (130s and above) only see about 2* of a timing curve, pumps with intact advance (110s and below) will have an advance curve in spec with the factory design, typically about 7* of movement.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the oil changed out to PDD’s conventional 15-40w, timing adjusted and swapped the fuel filter from a Fram to a wix 33417 for the last run up to Austin this time picking up a lathe, mill, plasma cutter, a few 20 ft metal work benches, metal shelving and some smaller equipment from the fuel shop, so should be a good bit of weight behind it on this run, I packed my suction mount for my phone so I’ll try and get some better video of it pulling some grades.

You must be registered for see images attach

I did take it out after adjusting the timing and changing the fuel filter and it ran 8.2 seconds to 60 mph, about a second and a half quicker than previously so quite an improvement from a relatively small change, seems to like the extra advance and the better filter, this 110 is pretty limited on fuel output with the mechanical lift pump being a bottle neck, but the better filter definitely helps.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the oil changed out to PDD’s conventional 15-40w, timing adjusted and swapped the fuel filter from a Fram to a wix 33417 for the last run up to Austin this time picking up a lathe, mill, plasma cutter, a few 20 ft metal work benches, metal shelving and some smaller equipment from the fuel shop, so should be a good bit of weight behind it on this run, I packed my suction mount for my phone so I’ll try and get some better video of it pulling some grades.

I did take it out after adjusting the timing and changing the fuel filter and it ran 8.2 seconds to 60 mph, about a second and a half quicker than previously so quite an improvement from a relatively small change, seems to like the extra advance and the better filter, this 110 is pretty limited on fuel output with the mechanical lift pump being a bottle neck, but the better filter definitely helps.

you liking the PDD oil over Delo or Rotella?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes! And the price when buying by the case is pretty comparable to mid range conventional oil brands.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not yet, Ive had some issues with the used compressor housing seeping and Im waiting on a replacement to get here from garrett, once I have it on and have full boost with no leaks Ill get the truck on the dyno. With the data from the 0-60 runs, and estimating that the truck weighs somewhere between 7-8000 lbs, lands crank horsepower at 365-420hp at the crank, it will be interesting to see what it shows on the dyno.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wanted to "like" this, but I have to :( it instead because of all of the extra issues that you've had.