Project Big Blue

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are killing me. One of y’all hop on over and help me stick it on!LOL
I had a little time to mess with the truck today, dropped the fipl voltage down

You must be registered for see images attach

And set the timing at 10*, which resulted in a bit less power and higher egts, but much better shifting from the trans only moving it .035 V. I want to move the timing back up to around 12*, and possibly try a different compressor housing, overall very happy with the trans don’t think I’m going to change any settings, but I want to clean up some of the smoke so playing with the timing and putting a leak tester on the piping should help that quite a bit.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... If timing spec is 8, and lots of people have good results with slightly LOWER timing, why are you settling it so high? I know you have a valid reason but it seems counter intuitive to me. I'm curious to understand.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More timing means more time for the fuel to burn, on stock turbo trucks with smaller pumps I typically run 7-8 because it benefits from more combustion going out the exhaust spooling the turbo sooner sacrificing some top end performance and slightly higher egts for better low-mid range performance.

With a pump that peaks just under 160cc peak, it doesn’t need the timing retarded to get enough energy out the exhaust to get the turbo rolling, it’s got enough fuel to do that no matter how advanced the timing is, so I run more timing with this setup to give the fuel plenty of time to burn, which drops egts and smoke down which are high priorities for this application, it’s going to make the plenty of power either way to get a big camper up any hill, just want to be sure that egts aren’t an issue when towing and that we aren’t wasting fuel out the exhaust.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, what are your thoughts on timing and water temperature? By the same logic you gave with the egts and spoiling the turbo it would seem like retarding the timing might benefit water temps because there’s less combustion happening in the head. I’ve seen retarded timing with gassers make the headers glow. All the fire going out the port.

Knowing what I know now about my pump I think I’m in that lower tier fuel regime for now.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, This sounds like such an awesome set up! Hopefully, the world will hold together long enough for me to get the intercooler installed and then save my pennies and "complete the project":rolleyes: with a similar pump and turbo upgrade :Thumbs Up what injectors did you put in BB?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, what are your thoughts on timing and water temperature? By the same logic you gave with the egts and spoiling the turbo it would seem like retarding the timing might benefit water temps because there’s less combustion happening in the head. I’ve seen retarded timing with gassers make the headers glow. All the fire going out the port.

Knowing what I know now about my pump I think I’m in that lower tier fuel regime for now.
Technically more retarded timing is going to make more heat no matter what, the ignition is occurring closer to tdc/peak cylinder pressure so it’s going to be a hotter/higher pressure combustion with more heat and pressure going out the exhaust which is what makes the headers glow on gassers. On diesels it makes higher egts and drive pressures which benefits turbo charging but not great for heat management and towing. I do have a 110 on the shelf we could fix your setup with :angel:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, This sounds like such an awesome set up! Hopefully, the world will hold together long enough for me to get the intercooler installed and then save my pennies and "complete the project":rolleyes: with a similar pump and turbo upgrade :Thumbs Up what injectors did you put in BB?

stage ones from RnD in this engine