Project Big Blue

94bluebeast

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys, not looking for help right now but if anyone knows how to get more hours in the day please inform me!

Last weekend I had a trailer rented to pickup one of my containers with the Dually on Saturday, Sunday I hooked it up to big blue and loaded it with a 94 F350 idit 4x4 crew cab long bed truck on big tires and an rsk that weighs in at 10.5k empty, took it to town to pick up half a pallet of concrete slabs to level the containers, filled the truck up with fuel and hit I-10 towards comfort to hit some long hills and steep grades, some in the 7% range, with a combined weight of at least 20k lbs.
You must be registered for see images attach

It was enough weight for the mud flaps to almost be touching the ground on level ground, but still had plenty of clearance with the 5” single piece driveshaft, and most importantly plenty of power!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As y’all can see from the video no problem pulling that load up any grade I could put in front of it. Temps stayed good the whole time, and cruise control never came close to wot to maintain speed. Engine braking works fantastic with the built trans, but seems the rear brakes are still not contributing much despite the adjustment when I did the rear end. Just before pulling into the shop to unload I topped the tank back off and checked mpg.

12 mpg with that much weight behind it is pretty good. There’s idis out there that get that kind of mileage empty, and considering my dads 2015 duramaz gets 14 empty, it’s pretty impressive for an mechanical dinosaur. Got an email today the new housings are on there way, so dyno results will be coming soon. Despite what it reads on the rollers, the real world performance is outstanding and it checks all the marks for an awesome ride, cold ac, comfy ride, all the right noises, no leaks or oil consumption, and tons of waves and thumbs up from everyone that sees it. Very pleased with how the truck has turned out, it’s exceeded my expectations for the project, excited to see what @94bluebeast thinks about his previously 160hp truck once traveling opens back up!
It looks awesome Wes, I can’t wait to get out there and pick it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the only place this truck is going to disappoint is rear tire life LOL

What was the "short" list on this truck again? Turbo, studs, IP, injectors, and intercooler?

Granted the transmission, but that won't be part of the equation for some of us.

You have me starting to reconsider my turbo choice now :D

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s got my GTX3582 turbo with the stock hot side and a 3” downpipe, my intercooler and intake kit, my 110cc pump, RnD stage one injectors, stock fuel system otherwise. Engine is studded with the modified 7.3 gaskets, comp 910s, and cerakoted piping.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y’all should be getting the kits by the end of the month, the fab shop had to lay everyone off except one employee but they started on building the parts this week so should have them out soon!

That's great news Wes! No need to reply to the PM I just sent. Let's hope that it goes as planned!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the new housing that went on, hot out of the ovens.

Swapping the housing really improved the response from the turbo, picked up a couple psi and really changed the tone of the turbo, it’s singing at any rpms now.

Today we got it on the dyno to see what it would do. Right away was having issues trying to get it loaded right to get a full picture of the torque curve, the trans didn’t want any load below 23-2400rpms which is well past torque peak already so really only got about a 1000 rpms of the power curve on the downhill side of the torque peak. That made for some disappointing numbers, the best I saw was 270hp, and best torque reading was 527ft lbs. That’s a 120hp and 190ft lbs improvement on the same dyno, while real world 0-60 has improved from 15.2 to 5.8.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what are you figuring for crank hp? Around 350? I know wheel hp is always lower.

I was kinda impressed the numbers were so low given how effortlessly it was tugging that trailer. It's still probably three times what I'm putting to the rear wheels now LOL

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The real world performance doesn’t match the numbers at all, boost was even down to 22 psi at peak on the dyno the engine just wasn’t loading well, I wish everyone could ride in the truck and feel how this thing moves out and just grunts trailers up hills so well. I’ve got an 02 7.3 that’s got the cheap mods and tunes that was rated at 275/525 and even on the “160” hp tune this idi would easily walk it, and the Powerstroke has 130k and no heavy camper in the bed. I think this truck legitimately makes 320-330 hp at the wheels and mid 600s torque, just need a way to manually lock the trans in 3rd to get a proper reading, this just being a daily/tow vehicle were not going to go that far just to have better numbers, what matters is how the truck performs and I’m plenty pleased with the capabilities of the truck after the upgrades. Certainly won’t be going 20mph up anymore hills!

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
That's still outstanding! That truck is fast! And I bet you hit that 20k load up that same hill in the last video and you can really get a nice feel of that beast! I may need to delete my waste gate now......

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The real world performance doesn’t match the numbers at all, boost was even down to 22 psi at peak on the dyno the engine just wasn’t loading well, I wish everyone could ride in the truck and feel how this thing moves out and just grunts trailers up hills so well. I’ve got an 02 7.3 that’s got the cheap mods and tunes that was rated at 275/525 and even on the “160” hp tune this idi would easily walk it, and the Powerstroke has 130k and no heavy camper in the bed. I think this truck legitimately makes 320-330 hp at the wheels and mid 600s torque, just need a way to manually lock the trans in 3rd to get a proper reading, this just being a daily/tow vehicle were not going to go that far just to have better numbers, what matters is how the truck performs and I’m plenty pleased with the capabilities of the truck after the upgrades. Certainly won’t be going 20mph up anymore hills!
Sometimes I'm still amazed at the power numbers that come from one of these engines with just a few upgrades (that right ones at least). This comes from six years of working on hundreds of these with stock or slightly above stock power levels.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the powerstroke guys usually have a dyno tune to lock the tranny in 3rd with the torque converter locked up too. Is there even anyway to do this with an idi? I don't know if you could get a 5 position chip or anything for the tcm like you can for a powerstrokes pcm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the powerstroke guys usually have a dyno tune to lock the tranny in 3rd with the torque converter locked up too. Is there even anyway to do this with an idi? I don't know if you could get a 5 position chip or anything for the tcm like you can for a powerstrokes pcm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I wish, the psds run the trans via the ecm where our trucks have a separate tcm. Only way I could see to do it without a manual valve body is to have the fipl output on a switch to fool the trans, and manual override for the lockup pin on the tcm.