Project: asmith

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will you be documenting them as well? There is a gas engine section here. I enjoyed the @asmith build, and would enthusiastically read about a 38 Chevy.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually throw the gasser builds in the lounge, no hotrod section here lol

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I figured i will just add on to this thread since it has most of the work done to the truck in it. I will be posting some old pictures and then an up date on my fuel woes and the fix for it.

First some pictures of the truck right after i got it back from @IDIoit. It is a work truck and it went right to it when i got it back.

You must be registered for see images attach

It ran great and did everything I needed it to. Super happy with how it turned out.

some pictures of a fire from that same property I was working at last year.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything was great except the front tank stopped working a couple months after I got it back. If I switched to the front tank it would just die, wouldn't get any fuel. So i ran it only on the back tank since that still worked. Well fast forward to August of this year and the back tank started having problems. In high demand situations like going up hill or trying to pass the engine would starve for fuel. You can read about those problems in my thread Am I on the right track?

The problem for the rear tank ended up being a clogged fuel pick up from shower head pieces. So clogged you couldn't see daylight through it. I tried to get a picture of it but I couldn't get anything to show up. it had a strange shower head in the bottom of the tank though.

never found a definite clog for the front tank but his is the pick up and float that came out.

Lots of rust and gunk in that front tank.

Well the solution ended up being a whole new fuel system from the engine back. I got rid of both existing tanks, all the fuel lines, and filter and pump. I put a spectra f26e in the back, new spin on filters and pump and pressure regulator down on the frame, and ran -6an lines for the whole thing. No more fuel starvation issues!! :peelout i still need to get a fuel pressure gauge and dial that in though.

Here is my set up for filters and fuel pump and regulator

I thought i had more pictures, but somehow they have disappeared, so I will get some more this weekend of all the stuff on the truck and explain it some more.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last thing I forgot, the only remaining issue I have with the new setup is, I cannot get the fill neck hose to seal on the tank. Every time I fill up it drips out and leaves a puddle as I am filling. when the tank is really full it will sometimes slosh around and leak a little then too. I have cranked on the hose clamp as much as I dare. Is there some sort of sealant I could put around the tank barb and then slide the hose over it? Any other ideas out there to fix this issue?

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, if you don't mind me asking what was the cost to set that fuel system up.

I installed a facet fuel pump its brand new and I am already getting a fuel filter light under 100% throttle at times…. :facepalm:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I installed a facet fuel pump its brand new and I am already getting a fuel filter light under 100% throttle at times…. :facepalm:

Mine does it also.

Try some rectorseal on the tank

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don’t know off the top of my head but I will look at my receipts this evening and let you know. All things considered it was not that much more than the facet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know off the top of my head but I will look at my receipts this evening and let you know. All things considered it was not that much more than the facet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's quite the setup! Looks good. What pump is it? I'm surprised all that would cost so little.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah, I see.
I've been using "right stuff" lately.
I would maybe inspect the neck. We have seen where they staple the tag/hanger through the end of the hoses before. Maybe that's the issue?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk