Our beloved FL1995 oil filter is no longer cheap at Walmart

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Google claims Microgard are made by Purolator under Mann+Hummel

I trust Napa/Wix filters for most everything, but this can be a touchy subject so others might not agree and thats fine

Well my mom ran Walmart oil changes in her Corolla in the 90s and it was fine. So.. take that as you want

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
As of late June this year, I paid $9.44 from Walmart for the FL1995A online. so it's a pretty big jump.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was at Wally World today, and 2 1995A Motorcraft filters on the shelf. Still $9.44 ea. the price has not changed any since all the Covid sillyness. Everything else has gone up, but these stay the same.
When I heard there were going to be shortages, I slowly stocked up on them, have probably 13 on the shelf. Changed the oil this afternoon, so 12 left.
I use Waly World 15/40 engine oil, buy it in the 2 gallon jug. Was $22 when Trump was in, now $27 or so...if you can find it. Sometimes only one jug on the shelf, but pile`s of the blue def k-rap.

Costco has a sale once in a while on their brand of 15/40, 3 one gallon jugs in a box. Have naybe 10 of them.

So O`Really`s sells them for $20, ya get to pay 2 for 1.

Goat

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
No longer beloved to me and hasn't been in years. Cut a few open and see if you find torn pleats. Purolator makes most of the motorcraft filters and their quality control sucks. Ive had several motorcraft filters here with torn pleats. Whats that mean? Unfiltered oil bypassing the filter going to the bearings.

This has been going on for years now. Probably close to a decade now and purolator has only gotten worse with quality control. Many people have tried contacting them about the quality control issue including myself and they say we don't have a problem. Quick google search of purolator tearing proves that they do.

Mann Humel bought Purolator and Wix a few years ago. Wix quality has went down the drain as well.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No longer beloved to me and hasn't been in years. Cut a few open and see if you find torn pleats. Purolator makes most of the motorcraft filters and their quality control sucks. Ive had several motorcraft filters here with torn pleats. Whats that mean? Unfiltered oil bypassing the filter going to the bearings.

This has been going on for years now. Probably close to a decade now and purolator has only gotten worse with quality control. Many people have tried contacting them about the quality control issue including myself and they say we don't have a problem. Quick google search of purolator tearing proves that they do.

Mann Humel bought Purolator and Wix a few years ago. Wix quality has went down the drain as well.
You seen to be quite knowledgeable. Who do you recommend for filters?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad I bought 3 on flea bay in July for $14 each....

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
You seen to be quite knowledgeable. Who do you recommend for filters?
Fleetguard, Donaldson or even Fram

Lets talk about Fram for a minute. Probably the most hated filter brand on the internet. They had a quality control issue years ago. Over 10 years ago someone posted a video of one of their filters on youtube with major quality control issues. Unlike purolator Fram actually took notice and acknowledged they had a problem. They spent big money improving their quality control system and since then have been doing good. I have cut open tons of Fram filters and they have always held up good. Their engineers and customer service have always been good to deal with as well. I don't think they deserve all the hate they get.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the early 2000’s, my dad, brother and I have over a million miles on 3 cars. 1988 Buick Park Ave (Gen-1 3.8) a 1994 Buick Century Wagon (3.1l) and a 1998 Lumina (3.1l)

commonality was Fram filters and Mobil 1 oil on 10k OCI.

This was before Mobil 1 advertised the EP oil. You had to buy it with the nascar logo on it to know it was EP rated (dads words). We bought the higher grade fram filters

Maybe we were lucky. But I’ll switch back to fram and buy the nicer filter.

None of those 3 cars had engine problems.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a YouTube video where some guys put a bunch of filters through some pretty scientific testing. They actually found the gold-colored fram filters (I can’t remember which model that is) to be very high quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online