New R&D injectors

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Pop tester, shim kit, and replacement nozzles, to sum it up.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I searched for replacement parts they seem to be around $250 dollars? For that price it’s not worth rebuilding at home right? I was half thinking it’d be a good little side business just fixing up old style injectors. Set up a small Amish style shed as a shop and don’t dabble in anything else in there. Just injectors

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That $250 is on the low side for prices. R&D lists factory replacements at $375 while Classic Diesel Designs, Russ, and Moose Diesel (Conestoga Diesel) all start at over $400.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I searched for replacement parts they seem to be around $250 dollars? For that price it’s not worth rebuilding at home right? I was half thinking it’d be a good little side business just fixing up old style injectors. Set up a small Amish style shed as a shop and don’t dabble in anything else in there. Just injectors
That’s the conclusion I came to personally, not worth rebuilding unless you get the parts in scale and inexpensive. When I was looking new nozzles are $250 alone.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lot`s of times it is the self satisfaction of doing it your self.
Like rebuilding an Engine, Transmission, doing the Body Paint work on your truck etc...
it`s the learning process.

Then there are some of us that have to do it because of lack of funds, Kids, Job, Wife etc....

Having been around Mercedes Diesels for so long, and seeing how those Injectors are rebuilt. really the IDI Injectors are really not that much different.

Bosch use to have the best replacement Nozzel`s, (the business end that sprays the fuel) when made in Germany, then later out sourced to India and quality went down.

IDK with the IDI Injectors if there are replacement Nozzel`s or not, or if you have to take the best of the worn out Injectors and make a balanced set from all the parts.

If that is the case, how long will these last before the various one`s get out of balance? Will they make it another 100K miles?

OK Iam just babbling along here as things bubble up to the surface....

Our 4 injector rebuild vendors, where do they buy the Nozzel`s?...if they are to last 100 - 150K miles.

OK back to DIY Injectors, I say go for it.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
IDK with the IDI Injectors if there are replacement Nozzel`s or not,
There are, but they're made in China unless you can het lucky and find some OEM (whoever made them in the first place).
OK back to DIY Injectors, I say go for it.
For yourself, yes, absolutely. He was talking about trying to do it as a side business. Then I can't see where it would be worth it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That $250 is on the low side for prices. R&D lists factory replacements at $375 while Classic Diesel Designs, Russ, and Moose Diesel (Conestoga Diesel) all start at over $400.
Before bunching all of us together, realize that I do include free shipping , and an install kit and I do refund the core charge upon return, even after a year. No one else does that.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before bunching all of us together, realize that I do include free shipping , and an install kit and I do refund the core charge upon return, even after a year. No one else does that.
I have a set of your Stanadyne NOS injectors from years ago...4-5 years. And I've pop-tested them still in the truck twice in that time and all 8 are still within 50psi of each other! :music: Russ does great work! :Thumbs Up

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I've pop-tested them still in the truck twice
Never thought about that one. That's a quick injector test if you've got the setup for it. I mean how important is looking at the spray pattern when it's popping exactly where/how it did before?

Also, just wanted to say I just ordered a set of the stock injectors from R&D and will be installing them when they arrive. As much as i'd like to get a new injection pump...Christmas funds have already been spent on gifts for family.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as i'd like to get a new injection pump...Christmas funds have already been spent on gifts for family.
Plan on getting one in the near future, though. My pump started failing soon after installing new injectors (due to more demand on the pump?) My symptoms were no start with a warm engine. Had to cool the pump down (gently) to get it started.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
.Christmas funds have already been spent on gifts for family.
So what about their Christmas funds?
Plan on getting one in the near future, though. My pump started failing soon after installing new injectors (due to more demand on the pump?)
That may have been partly to blame, but pumps and injectors wear at the same rate. Ideally, they should be replaced as a set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online