New injectors and injector lines?

Minuteman96

Reaction score
It seems impossible to find a new set of injector lines that will hold up. Accurate diesel sells em but I’ve read they’re made in China and not worth it. Now looking at Pensacola diesel lines and have read the same.

Does anyone have recommendations for places to buy injectors AND lines? I’d prefer to get them new.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Stanadyne recently discontinued the manufacturing of new injectors. DFIS in Portland, OR can rebuild them, or you can buy pre-built ones from other reputable vendors.
As for lines... Typically they don't go bad. It's a must to have the isolators on them, otherwise they'll vibrate so much they snap off. Find a good used set of lines and call it today. If you can find brand new, good luck.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see you are in Ca., It`s a big state. But check the PNP`s, or do a search on www.row52.com for F-250/350 and maybe the Vans, and see what Diesels come up.

Easiest way when in the "yards" to remove them, is to use a 5/8" wrench and loosen all 8 at the Injectors, then remove the 2 bolts that hold the timing cover down, and lift the pump with the cover and Gear out. Then remove the lines from the Pump.

As mentioned, be sure the 4 line clamps are on to keep them from vibrating and cracking.
Not only that, but some ham ****** Gear Head in the past probably over tightened them or bent and twisted the lines and cross threaded some of them.

The lines with the Pump attached is called a Spider, and sells for around $50. Sometimes they sell each individual hard line for around $5 - $6 ea. keep the Pump and you will have a core to send in if you ever want to have one rebuilt.

I use to live in Santa Cruz, and there is 4 yards with in 50 miles.
Moss Landing, 2 in San Jose and one in Newark.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
do a search on www.row52.com for F-250/350 and maybe the Vans,
Just be aware that the vans rime on #4 like an International does. Of course the 6.9's don't use a timing adapter so those will still work just fine. Otherwise, you can time your engine on #4 instead of #1.
then remove the 2 bolts that hold the timing cover down,
There's four bolts that hole the timing cover down. Also on the trucks (maybe vans too?) that have a serpentine belt, the wiring harness connected to two of those bolts too. They had studs on the top of them and used nuts to hold down brackets. That's if I remember right. On second thought, maybe that was only on the Factory Turbo trucks. That would make more sense.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I think that's factory turbos. Mine and both my dad's idi didn't have any wiring there. But yes, 4 bolts.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be aware that the vans rime on #4 like an International does. Of course the 6.9's don't use a timing adapter so those will still work just fine. Otherwise, you can time your engine on #4 instead of #1.

There's four bolts that hole the timing cover down. Also on the trucks (maybe vans too?) that have a serpentine belt, the wiring harness connected to two of those bolts too. They had studs on the top of them and used nuts to hold down brackets. That's if I remember right. On second thought, maybe that was only on the Factory Turbo trucks. That would make more sense.

OK, picky picky...LOL
I forgot about the 2 lil bolts, was doing from my old memory.

Would a set of lines from a 7.3 mounted onto a 6.9 effect anything? I know the hard line is shorter to make up for the timing adapter. But as far as timing a 6.9 with it on there cause any problem?
You have to scrape off the paint on the line for the timing clamp.

Goat

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, picky picky...LOL
I forgot about the 2 lil bolts, was doing from my old memory.

Would a set of lines from a 7.3 mounted onto a 6.9 effect anything? I know the hard line is shorter to make up for the timing adapter. But as far as timing a 6.9 with it on there cause any problem?
You have to scrape off the paint on the line for the timing clamp.

Goat
Timing would not be affected if you leave the adapter on and used a 7.3 set on a 6.9.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Yes. Otherwise, the timing on cylinder #1 (or #4) would be slightly off from the other 7 cylinders.
Do we know this to be fact and backed up with testing or proof? The injector lines are not all the same length as I recall. (Maybe they are.). Now putting in 1 new injector line that has a smaller inside diameter might reduce pressure and cause one cylinder to fire late. I can’t get my head around one line now being 1 inch shorter is going to cause a major timing issue.

The pump pressure actually determines the injector pop. (Not the injector line.) So unless the pump injector line fittings are not all equidistant on the back of the pump (They look evenly spaced.) how does the pump compensate for line length? Unless some lines were say 2x longer, it would not have any significant drop on line pressure, thus little to no negative timing effect. With lines this short and different lengths, there would not be more than say 5-10 psi difference if even that. The spec is like 1,850psi +/- 50 psi. So even 10psi would be in spec.

It sounds plausible but not logical to me. So curious if myth or proven multiple times.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do we know this to be fact and backed up with testing or proof? The injector lines are not all the same length as I recall. (Maybe they are.). Now putting in 1 new injector line that has a smaller inside diameter might reduce pressure and cause one cylinder to fire late. I can’t get my head around one line now being 1 inch shorter is going to cause a major timing issue.

The pump pressure actually determines the injector pop. (Not the injector line.) So unless the pump injector line fittings are not all equidistant on the back of the pump (They look evenly spaced.) how does the pump compensate for line length? Unless some lines were say 2x longer, it would not have any significant drop on line pressure, thus little to no negative timing effect. With lines this short and different lengths, there would not be more than say 5-10 psi difference if even that. The spec is like 1,850psi +/- 50 psi. So even 10psi would be in spec.

It sounds plausible but not logical to me. So curious if myth or proven multiple times.
Everyone keeps repeating this, I don't know if it's true or not. But I have been running my truck for years with the timing adapter off #1 cylinder and it seems to run fine. I left the vibration damper off mine and it cracked #1 line. I found a line in the junkyard off a 6.9 and used it without the timing adapter, and I can't tell the difference.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don`t know if it is an old "wives tale" or not.
I have had Mercedes Diesels since 97, and on a couple different forums.
I read on one of them, maybe Peach Parts, and before it was named that, MercedeShop.com. also there is Benz World.
That the fuel lines are all the same length, no matter how they are bent and looped around. Must be for a reason.

The line for the 7.3 with the adapter, and the same line for a 6.9, I bet they are the same length if put side by side.
Could be a balance issue ever so slightly? IDK.

OK gotta go listen to my Wife.

Goat

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It makes sense to me that it would be ideal for them all to be the same length. Therefore if you’re the engineer designing it you just make them all the same length. Whether or not it makes a noticeable difference on a 30 year old engine for there to be a 1” shorter line on one cylinder IDK.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanadyne recently discontinued the manufacturing of new injectors. DFIS in Portland, OR can rebuild them, or you can buy pre-built ones from other reputable vendors.
As for lines... Typically they don't go bad. It's a must to have the isolators on them, otherwise they'll vibrate so much they snap off. Find a good used set of lines and call it today. If you can find brand new, good luck.
Rebuilding a 20-30 year old injector is pointless.
Lines are NOS or good used, they done normally go bad unless the clamps get weak.
If you want good reman injectors with new tips.look here.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lines are all the same length, the timing adapter being 5/8 of an inch long effective length is a moot point, does it change the injector event? Yes. Will you ever feel it.NO

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
The lines are all the same length, the timing adapter being 5/8 of an inch long effective length is a moot point, does it change the injector event? Yes. Will you ever feel it.NO
What would you guess 5/8 of an inch changes the timing in degrees for that one injector?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online