New injector lines

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we didn't get a land line hooked up when we moved here so I guess that's why they didn't send us a phone book (with Yellow Pages).

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No rocket science here, it's just steel line like brake lines. When I was on the road and the line cracked, I could have repaired it if they didn't use that weird bubble looking flare on the end. I wonder who makes the machine to make those? It would be nice to have some sort of die set that would fit in a ordinary flaring tool to make those ends.

Or is this some weird international fitting and you can get different style fittings to screw into the injection pump? It really threw me when I was in the middle of nowhere and found that weird flare that I could not do much with.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are odd. But they do work well.
I wonder how tolerant they are of being off-center. That's why I didn't start bending them any more than I had to to get them to sit in their seats properly.
To try bending them again (after being tightened down in their happy place) to accept the clamps seems like it would compromise the seat at the ends, or worse.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There aren't any IDIs in the one junkyard I've found around here so far.
Although, I didn't think to also look for U-hauls and other commercial trucks.
Those old codgers don't list their junkyards on the interweb, and I don't think the Yellow Pages are even made anymore, so I just need to stumble on the yards or ask someone.
......ya know......I heard there was a 7.3/C6 for sale in Maine a while back.......

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those Hard Fuel lines are not just run of the mill brake lines with a special flair.
The lines take pressures of 2000LBS + - on ea injection cycle. Those ends are a hardened ball that fits into the cup of the injector.

This is not a special Ford or International design, my Mercedes and my Datsun Diesel is made exactly the same.

Now that you have Injector lines on, I would think you could loosen up the threaded ends, and massage them into place. You are not going to break them, just do not kink them.

Your old lines probably have been tweeked around, to get the caps on and or Injectors over the years before you bought the truck.

Look up www.row52.com it should give you a list of the JY`s that may be signed up on the site.
If so, see what they have in the search.

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH Lookie what I found.

I don`t know your state but sure has a bunch of zip codes. I just went down the list and looked up 10 of them.
Never been there probably never will.

Goat

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the effort but those are all many hours from me.
I will check that site out and see what I can come up with.
I appreciate the link.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s really frustrating to hear, but thanks for letting us know. I’ve had my eye on those lines, but now I’ll stick with the ones I have.

My truck was missing one of the clamps when I bought it, so I made a home-made clamp like Austin recommended.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thought, could they have accidentally sent you 6.9 lines instead of 7.3, or van lines or something like that?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s really frustrating to hear, but thanks for letting us know. I’ve had my eye on those lines, but now I’ll stick with the ones I have.
Another posted here that he was able to make them work so don't write them off on my account.
I just don't feel comfortable bending or stressing them very much. That may be just due to my lack of experience with them.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To try bending them again (after being tightened down in their happy place) to accept the clamps seems like it would compromise the seat at the ends, or worse.
You are correct. So keep them tight as they are now to keep the end in it's "happy place" and bend the line while it's on the engine.

I would try first with both the pump end and the injector end tight, and try to tweak the lines as you need to. If that proves impossible, keep the line tight on the pump end and then loosen the injector end completely off the injector and tweak it like that, much like you do when changing o-rings, though this might get a little more radical.

You can't really use the lines as is, so I don't think you are hurting anything if you are not successful. You still have most of the old lines that you can re-use.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for the boot in my *** to try to make these things right.
Well, they're not 100% right but it's better. I guess.
I don't really understand what these clamps are doing but you all know better than me.
I was able to get a new 3-clamp on 4,6,8 and another new 3-clamp on 2,4,6 (supposed to be a 4-clamp on 2,4,6,8).
The other side didn't go so well. I used an old 4-clamp (they're wider than the new ones) to clamp 5&7 back near the air cleaner. They are way too far apart for anything else.
And I got a new 3-clamp on 3&5 closer to the pump.
#1 is down so low it was touching the engine. I have rubber fuel line wedged between it and the engine.

I don't see myself getting the situation any better but, hopefully, what I did get done has some benefit.
Maybe I'll have to carry my old lines with me as spares whenever I go very far from home.
First trip out on the turnpike is Friday. Speed limit is 70mph and I'll be on it for 3/4 of an hour. Most people will be driving 80mph +/-.
Not looking forward to it with the C6 (regardless of what I'm driving, I hate city crap).
Wish me luck! ;-)

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Having clamps, whether they are old or new, is important. Glad you got a lot of them on. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online