• Don't change them

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 93 has 40k on the clock ( for real) I am doing a pump and inj. Here next month, due to the age.
The glows work perfectley but while I'm in there ....
Are the zd9's age degradeable or would changing them be a waste?
I'm only gunna spend 1 day getting crippled over the grill on this truck:backoff
Thanx in advance.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i was doing sticks, i would be removing the turbo.
that said, it takes no time to slap in new glow plugs.

altho it was pretty easy to install the glow plugs with my 093 on,
but this was on my run stand...
in a truck is an entire different animal.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would go ahead.
Test the old ones and save them if they're good. Someone here could use them, or you may end up needing them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the old adage goes, "Don't fix what's not broke". There is a difference between maintenance and fixing something that is broke. I don't consider glow plugs as a maintenance item. If a diesel engine gets to be hard starting, then it's time to examine the cause. I personally have 180K miles on a 99 with the original ZD11 GP's, ZD9's are no different than ZD11's, also have a 92 with an 89 engine with 79K miles on it with the original ZD9 GP's in it.

I voted NO. Even new GP's can burn out in a short time.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Change but please test them before trashing them. Spares are great to have no matter what. Do you know for a fact what you are now running are Motorcraft Beru ZD9 plugs?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I say change them but save the old ones
I got a set or 2 from Bill and Brian and they saved my bacon
Thanks guys.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote to change & save the old ones as well. Always nice to have spares lying around when the cold weather hits unexpectedly and you can't source them locally.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Been getting some new berus lately that a plug or two fail after short amount of time.

I vote test them...maybe leave them in.

But you are doing the pump and injectors "because of age" so I guess plugs could be do also?

Black dawg

Reaction score
As the old adage goes, "Don't fix what's not broke". There is a difference between maintenance and fixing something that is broke. I don't consider glow plugs as a maintenance item. If a diesel engine gets to be hard starting, then it's time to examine the cause. I personally have 180K miles on a 99 with the original ZD11 GP's, ZD9's are no different than ZD11's, also have a 92 with an 89 engine with 79K miles on it with the original ZD9 GP's in it.

I voted NO. Even new GP's can burn out in a short time.

The powerstroke glow plugs are a whole different animal, and way outlast berus in our older 6.9-7.3s

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so'
if ford has gone offshore and the things are not dependable,,,,,,,as stated by black dawg, see where I'm headed?

old bull makes a valid point! AND with corporate america going the cheapest route to profits' my 20 odd yr old glows may just be superior???

something about having used spares, I dunno. if you NEED IT TO WORK the only top shelf way to have a spare is NEW! My junk spends most of its road time not in my zip code.
I keep used trail spares for the crawler, and drive as to not need em:fan: cuz < this sux.

I'm still on the fence, doing the pump r-r in 2 weeks.
how often does only 1 or 2 go out if all were replaced at the same time? and the rest go on working indefinitely?
if I'm doing one to get home in cal I aint needing to (me thinks) I could be wrong. If I need 2' I want 8.

the cost savings would go into the front spring fund.

thanx for looking cb

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would test them all while you are in there. and although old GPs might be better, I'd put some penetrating oil and break them loose just because of how long they've been in there.