Hello new IDI diesel owner

StationWagonDave

Reaction score
Hi I'm Dave. I purchased my first diesel just under a year ago and have spent much time on this forum reading and learning about my new to me truck. I'd like to say thanks for all the information; a special thanks to Mel and his article on injector servicing. This truck has been a trial by fire; it spent the majority of last summer sitting at my mechanic's. I wanted them to look it over as it was a new purchase; they fixed some items but seemed to struggle with diagnosing diesel issues. Finally they sent it to a diesel-only shop; after completing a compression test the only thing that shop wanted to do was throw a new engine at it. As that wasn't in my budget I've done what I could to get it to start more reliably. Once running it seems to run well; the bad news is that the compression test revealed very low compression in the #7 cylinder as well as some lower compression levels in other cylinders.
You must be registered for see images attach

It has glow plugs (Motorcraft ZD9's as recommended), and new Stanadyne injectors and return line kit. Once I replaced the GPs it was starting reliably until I parked it for a week in Dec. When I returned from being away I had a no-start condition. That's when I replaced the injectors. While sitting in storage someone stole one of the fuel caps! Grrr! So now its got locking caps and I replaced the batteries as one had gone bad.

I found a bunch of paperwork for it from the PO. Major things he did: rebuilt trans (E40D) in 1997; R&R rockers 2000; new water pump in 2004.

I also had the rockers on the left bank replaced (it had a valve tick), new lift pump and a new starter installed.

About the truck: Its a '91 F250 Super Cab long bed. It has the naturally aspirated 7.3, E40D overdrive trans, a/c, ps, pb, cruise, and p/windows. The mileage is 183,000 (supposedly original). Sold new in SE Idaho; they seem to like their diesel trucks up there. I've seen quite a few for sale on CL.

Its got some other non-diesel related issues, but my immediate goal is to get it restarted and (hopefully) have it start reliably. Next on the list is a coolant flush (I have no idea how old the current coolant is or if its even the correct type with SCAs), then an oil change. Sorry for the long post; I do kind of get obsessed with my vehicles and I like to try to keep things serviced on a regular basis. I look forward to chatting with folks here and learning more about these trucks.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oil Burners, from one Dave to another Dave!:Thumbs Up

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks that someone was digging around, but glad they only stole the gas cap. Do you think you will be putting an engine in it eventually or will you be doing your own compression check to double check those numbers?