My county just OK'ed emissions testing....

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really sounds like you guys just got screwed by a bleeding heart Prius owner who used the federal gov as a excuse/scare tactic to get your county to start doing emission testing.
I hadn't heard nor read about any changes in store for us but I did find a article that Washington state is planning on halting emission testing by like 2018 or 2020 I think due to the growing efficiency of vehicles and its supposed to save drivers and DMV something like 19 Billion dollars.
So that again brings up why would the EPA be "strong arming" a single county into testing? I think that Ciebien lady that pushed this upon you guy is full of poop.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Veggi mix an correct timming an the right foot it won't smoke. I have my pump maxed an it will smoke but if you easy into it boost will raise with the pedal an eat/burn the fuel resulting in no smoke. Also a good turbo upgrade out of the three kits will keep fuel burnt quicker.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Even if you did have to go through emissions, from your sig it looks like your mainly stock, I just went through Emissions here in CT. Since im a 94 I get hooked up to the sniffer.

I run all stock motor set up with a factory Downpipe, and 3 inch straight exhaust and passed with
Opacity 6.3 The Limit is 20.0
RPM 2820

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Here in Cali we have to take our f450 trucks off the roads soon. These are the idi versions found in tow trucks and dump trucks running the 10 lug wheels. Every one of the OTHER ford idi trucks are running the same engine and trans setups but they are not knocked off the roads.. At least not yet.. I really don't think they ever will be knocked off the roads. I can't figure out why only the commerical rigs are put to the crusher now. This drives many business owners out of the state or they close down. How can a single operater barely making a profit towing afford a new truck that meets their regs. And how long will thos engines meet those regs.. I have a 1979 C30 RC (see, I can remember what RC means) with a 454 in it all factory. Its a camper special and 9000 gvw. It never had an egr valve and never needed to be smogged... But the bed $hitters passed a new law back in 90 something and I have to smog it every other year. I built the engine to haul my 11,000 5th wheel and it does that well. Factory dual exhaust all the way back too. 3.73 gears. For all the build I put into that engine it still will pass smog. I just did it about 3 months ago. Insurance is less than $200.00 per year for PL&PD. The license fee is $168.00 per year. I'm selling it because I don't use it any longer. Hate to but its time to pass it along. No rust. No problems and it runs fine. Will I sell it to the salt belt... Nope.. Can't do that.. Will it pass smog in 2 years.. Yeap. The state has been sending me these offers to "turn it in and get the heavy polluters off the roads and save the inviroment.. What the hell.. It will pass. I felt the cash for clunkers was a test. Push it or drag it to them and they give you $3200.00 or $3500.00 to ruin the engines and scrap the rest or park them in wrecking yards to be picked over... I just couldn't do that to a fine piece of machinery. I'm not a Daves Farm kind of guy. I see the regs getting tuffer and tuffer on us all. Anybody know where to cash in a used up prius lithium battery..... NOPLACE ON THIS EARTH.. Now whatca gonna say you bunch of prius polluters of mother earth.. What you have on your hands that you will try to do away with is just like nuclear spent fuel.. Nobody wants it..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You guys think this stuff just dropped out of the blue with the prius crowd, but it didn't. It started a VERY long time ago, before many of you were even born.
I remember living in Los Angeles in the 60's when teh air polloution was so bad that you couldnt see a half block through the brown crud and a couple of generations of people grew up with various respiratory diseases ( and who knows what else ) . You can *almost* see the sky out there now( the locals think they can, but there's still a heavy brown tinge to it to those not used to looking at it all the time :puke: showing that a few decades of emission control regs have actually worked., if they hadnt bit the bullet and done it, that entire area would be uninhabitable by now, along with a number of other major cities, and smaller cities would have been taken out as well.

Even with the current emission controlls, here in middle america, we now are seeing what they loving like to now call " ozone action alert' days, which is a fancy way of saying SMOG ALERT, without admitting that your city has a smog problem

I moved as far away from civilization as I could get to Arkansas where everything runs a good 20-30 years behind the rest of teh country( which can be good and bad in some cases ) and it took a long time for the smog to catch up here, but sure enogh, when it gets good and hot and teh traffic gets heavy, we get it. If the wind isnt blowing hard enough to dissipate it, it will stagnate and wham bang, big city smog, and if it keeps up, we dont have any kind of inspections now, but if folks keep taking advantage, we WILL end up with inspections, all it's going to take is one state senator cruising along with his window down and getting smoked by some joker who thinks it's cool to belch out a cloud, and WHAM, it's on the docket next session, and these guys WILL vote in ANYTHING that one of their buddies puts out before them, just so their buddies will vote for their crap ( Ive watched them in action, its frightening )

I know there's guys blasting around out in the middle of nowhere north dakota saying, ***, its not bothering anyone? but where do you think that stuff goes??? the smoke fairies magically make it go away? Anyone ever take a good look at all the sidewalks and old buildings in the midwest and norteast? Guess what gives everything that puke black colour? It's soot. Granted , most of it came from factories, but it's soot all the same, and no soot fairies came and got rid of it.

If we dont regulate ourselves, they WILL regulate us. Most of teh states that are testing the older non computer controlled engines use a snap test, where they tromp your throttle to the floor ( i.e governer ) and back off with a smoke opacity meter poked in the tailpipe ( basically a fancy o2 sensor in some cases , in others it actually registers how much light the smoke blocks out) In * most cases* so far the allowances have been fairly liberal in regards to stock engines as they would allow a fairly stout puff on the stomp down so long as it cleared, but if the vehicle continued to belch or stream along, then it would fail

I'm not up on the slushboxes on these things, but make darn sure that if you have one, it is OK with being revved high in park on neutral without damaging the trans, if not, make the testors provide a dyno to run it in gear, or make them give you a wavior . We ran across this with certain european diesels with zf slushboxes that cannot be revved high out of gear without destroying them.

If you have a truck that was originally an N/a, then that is how it is registered and would be tested ( even if an aftermarket turbo is in place) and would be allowed a higher percentage than one that is registered as a turbo from the factory as a factory registered turbo is expected to have more air available to burn the fuel under hard acceleration

For those with turbos, I can strongly suggest hypermaxes smoke puff eliminator, so you can finally have a stanadyne pump that works as efficiantly as a Bosch pump ( and will give you all the power you want without the big puff when you stomp it and make passing a breeze )

We went through this whole thing with some diesel cars a few years back when they first started testing diesels ( except the cars basically run clean to begin with unless they are on their last legs, and we at the time didnt run across any that didnt pass, I'm sure its happened since though )

Dont get me wrong. I like having insanely fast vehicles... I also thoroughly enjoy looking out my window in the morning and seeing wild birds and skunks, deer, *****, rabbits, possum, heck, you name it. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
. Anybody know where to cash in a used up prius lithium battery..... NOPLACE ON THIS EARTH.. Now whatca gonna say you bunch of prius polluters of mother earth.. What you have on your hands that you will try to do away with is just like nuclear spent fuel.. Nobody wants it..

AMEN :hail

Not to mention I dont think anyone has calculated all the pollution from all the coal they will have burned to run the things over a lifetime, or the amount of radioactive waste ( that they STILL don't know what to do with )they will have been responsible for if they get their power from a nuke plant.
Don't even go into the forests and watersheds being destroyed to get the raw materials for those batts.
Green ???

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
you(anybody in general) think this is bad.......think about the people that are spending $70,000 on a new diesel truck that come with EGR cooler/s, the entire exhaust system is an emissions device. the ONLY part that looks normal is from the over the axle part to the tip of the tail pipe.............................and you know what, these guys are very soon not going to be able to delete the EGR and DPF crap. For those who have not had the chance to look into the intake manifold of a diesel engine running an EGR system, i suggest you do so if you get the opportunity. It is insane the amount of soot going into the engine, all for one reason....to reduce NOX emissions by increasing the temp of combustion. the engine doesn't even get to burn the EGR. After seeing said intake you ask your self what is the point in even running and air filter? Then you have DPF regen....i read in an article today that a this particular 6.4L psd would go from about 700*F EGT cruising to 1200-1400*F egt when it went into regen and boost went from about 10psi to 0psi. MPG sucks big ones on these new trucks in the first place but when they go into regen the mpg goes down even more. also, i don't know about you guys but i am not a fan of washing my cylinder walls down with fuel(post-injection) to aid in "emissions" on my brand new $70,000 truck. DPF are a trade off really......you can have "clean" tail pipe emissions and get low teens for mpg on a good day, or you can have "dirty" tail pipe emissions and get high teens to low 20's in the mpg deparment. so the way i see it is in the end the ratio of fuel burned to tail pipe emissions is the same whether you run egr and dpf or no egr and straight pipe. i would love to have a new diesel(6.4L) but by the time i am financially ready to get one or something even newer(yes it will be that long lol), i could not bring my self to spend my hard earned money on it b/c i know that just driving it is killing the engine and there is absolutely NOTHING i can do about it since EGR delete and DPF delete will be fully illegal(even though it technically has been since day one, you could still get delete kits and delete tunes).

And people wonder why i get so pissed when i see or hear about people blow black smoke for no frickin' reason. as George Carlin once said, "well I get pissed god dammit!"

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to remember is that a vehicle is only required to pass the emissions testing it was rated for when new. Like anyone, many people, even those that should know, often don't. I have had to correct people for simple inspection testing.

But like all testing, there is a way around it. Even with no emission devices, I have had some of my cars pass testing easily. Knowing how to tune makes it easy. If I had a newer truck that used urea, I would have a way to make it run without it. Same goes for emission devices that kill mpg.

Desertrig

Reaction score
Exactly what 94 said. You can't save the environment by burning more fuel or reducing the lifespan of a resource intensive machine to reduce emmision's. It's a little thing called entropy. If you want to reduce nox - redesign the engine with a different coolant system or Evans... If you want to condense crap out of the exhaust make a condensor in the exhaust not the motor. If you want to save the environment, make the engine as efficient and long lasting as is reasonably possible. They're steam engines in continuous operation for 150 years out there. If a modern engine is designed to last 10 years (or 5 warranty wise) do you think you saved the environment by making 15 or 30 engines? Someday I'll find a cheap 60s or 70s 2 or 3 ton boat, slap a mega squirt on it and rattle can my highway mpg on the side of it. I bet some of those old cars could get 30+ mpg with efi and no EPA... You can not save energy by skimming 10, 20, or 30% off the top to reduce particulates, killing the motor early at the same time. I may be an outlier: my county has 7000 square miles and less than 10k people. The individual auto out here is necessary, although a golf cart is good enough for town, but making autoa necessity in a high density population area is the fault of the community not the auto....

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Oh hell no, not in Utah. Never thought I'd see the day we had this outside of the valley.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Over in Japan they have such bad smog pollution that no car engine can be rebuilt.. Whats that you say.. No rebuilds.. then whats the deal.. Well they require every engine that reaches 50,000 miles to be pulled and junked. Then a new and no way rebuilt engine gets installed in that car. Now what happens to those low mileage engines... They are sent round the worlsd and sold a used good running engines with less than 50,000 miles on them... Ever hear of JDM... Thats the way those engines are remarketed. Now why is a rebuilt engine worse than a new engine. All new engines have a tollerance they are built to. Every engine factory built has problems like crooked bored cylinders so the rod bearings now wear poorly and cause drag on the crank.. Same with the main webs cut in the block. Just look at any bearing you pull from an engine for this wear. Its parasitic drag that causes hp loss when an engine "meets" the run requirements. Bringing said engines back to blueprint specs reduces this internal drag so mileage and hp come back... Simple

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good fact Gary. I still can't believe they do that. My brothers toyota truck 22r engine was one of those Japan 50k mile engines that had to be pulled due to their emission standards. So far its been okay aside from the head gasket blowing a few months back. The stamps on the engine identified that it was one of those engines. Not sure what happened to the original engine since the truck only has 100k on it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Over in Japan they have such bad smog pollution that no car engine can be rebuilt.. Whats that you say.. No rebuilds.. then whats the deal.. Well they require every engine that reaches 50,000 miles to be pulled and junked. Then a new and no way rebuilt engine gets installed in that car. Now what happens to those low mileage engines... They are sent round the worlsd and sold a used good running engines with less than 50,000 miles on them... Ever hear of JDM... Thats the way those engines are remarketed. Now why is a rebuilt engine worse than a new engine. All new engines have a tollerance they are built to. Every engine factory built has problems like crooked bored cylinders so the rod bearings now wear poorly and cause drag on the crank.. Same with the main webs cut in the block. Just look at any bearing you pull from an engine for this wear. Its parasitic drag that causes hp loss when an engine "meets" the run requirements. Bringing said engines back to blueprint specs reduces this internal drag so mileage and hp come back... Simple

Thats no joke, and if there is ANY rust they will allow very little body repair, i.e panel replacement, if its on the main body, the car will be removed from the road and crushed as the oxides falling off all the vehicles on their overpopulated roads on their little island contaminate the soil they found. Kind of hard to keep them from rusting when surrounded by salt water
If you guys think ANY us inspection is tough, check out the japan inspection, or the Uk MOT, thats a real doozy car owners fear that one, it costs them a bundle to have done and they can be flunked for just about anything.were talking surface rust on a brake backing plate or other really unneeded part ( if I had a load of cash, I'd be renting containers and buying up cars that flunked teh MOT and having them brought over before they went to the wrecking yard ), the German inspection runs close behind. Around the world, we get off dead easy. ( of course, most US drivers would NEVER be able to even pass the tests to get a license in most other countries , the German drivers test is similar to a us ambulance drivers certificate in difficulty, the UK drivers test, is well, darn near impossible, most people fail it at least 3 times after intense study and private lessons there are lots of others like this)We like to **** and moan but if we had to deal with the same standards as the rest of the world and pay the 7 buck a gallon fuel that they do, It would be a whole different story ( and I dont think anyone would be in a rush to watch fuel go out the pipe in ********* clouts at 7 bucks a gal )

Black dawg

Reaction score
you(anybody in general) think this is bad.......think about the people that are spending $70,000 on a new diesel truck that come with EGR cooler/s, the entire exhaust system is an emissions device. the ONLY part that looks normal is from the over the axle part to the tip of the tail pipe.............................and you know what, these guys are very soon not going to be able to delete the EGR and DPF crap. For those who have not had the chance to look into the intake manifold of a diesel engine running an EGR system, i suggest you do so if you get the opportunity. It is insane the amount of soot going into the engine, all for one reason....to reduce NOX emissions by increasing the temp of combustion. the engine doesn't even get to burn the EGR. After seeing said intake you ask your self what is the point in even running and air filter? Then you have DPF regen....i read in an article today that a this particular 6.4L psd would go from about 700*F EGT cruising to 1200-1400*F egt when it went into regen and boost went from about 10psi to 0psi. MPG sucks big ones on these new trucks in the first place but when they go into regen the mpg goes down even more. also, i don't know about you guys but i am not a fan of washing my cylinder walls down with fuel(post-injection) to aid in "emissions" on my brand new $70,000 truck. DPF are a trade off really......you can have "clean" tail pipe emissions and get low teens for mpg on a good day, or you can have "dirty" tail pipe emissions and get high teens to low 20's in the mpg deparment. so the way i see it is in the end the ratio of fuel burned to tail pipe emissions is the same whether you run egr and dpf or no egr and straight pipe. i would love to have a new diesel(6.4L) but by the time i am financially ready to get one or something even newer(yes it will be that long lol), i could not bring my self to spend my hard earned money on it b/c i know that just driving it is killing the engine and there is absolutely NOTHING i can do about it since EGR delete and DPF delete will be fully illegal(even though it technically has been since day one, you could still get delete kits and delete tunes).

And people wonder why i get so pissed when i see or hear about people blow black smoke for no frickin' reason. as George Carlin once said, "well I get pissed god dammit!"

egr reduces nox by DECREASING combustion temp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk