Failed Emissions

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know if other states are doing the same, but in recent years, Arkansas changed the vehicle age from 25 years to 45 years to qualify, because the state govt politicians didn't like people registering 1990s vehicles as antiques.

Colorado collector's vehicles must be 32 years old or 1975 or older according to the website. Apparently politicians can't do simple math because 2022 minus 1975 is 47. Either way, it's not quite there.
It's 35 years old here in Kansas.
Maybe not as fun as shooting pheasants with my grandfather's 105 year old Model 12, though.
Oh man! Those Model 12s were GOOD shotguns!

gandalf

Reaction score
... Maybe not as fun as shooting pheasants with my grandfather's 105 year old Model 12, though.

I have you beat by a couple years with my Remington Model 11 (model 1911). It's not as well-known or as good as the Winchester Model 12, but it's slightly older. It apparently earned it's name, "The widow maker".

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Zephyr, I am on the western slope, hopefully that CARB stuff doesn't make it here anytime soon. None the less glad you got it figured out. Also I would recommend WY or SD over NE for tax reasons, but that is just speculation through conversations with friends.

To everyone else, can't you just short 2 pins (A & B I Think) on your OBD1 connector and have the CEL illuminate even if there are no stored codes (No ECM)....?

I do it on my TBI V2500 Burb (gasser) just did not know if it works for all OBD1 stuff across the manufacturers.
OBDI was the wild wild west. No standards at all. Everyone had different connectors, different ways to pull the codes. We "thought" the gov was doing us a favor by standardizing this stuff with OBDII, but alas now we know differently, it was all about them, not us.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I dunno Franklin, I much prefer having 1 scan tool and 1 method of scanning and accurate scanning for all my vehicles instead of the goofy hoops I have to jump through for my older stuff.

ISPKI

Reaction score
I have you beat by a couple years with my Remington Model 11 (model 1911). It's not as well-known or as good as the Winchester Model 12, but it's slightly older. It apparently earned it's name, "The widow maker".
Remington Mod 11 is the recoil blowback semi automatic 12ga isnt it? My buddy has one of those and its a beautiful shotgun.

I have a Browning superposed lightning from 1916 and a Browning 520 rapid takedown trench gun from 1919 which are both gorgeous shotguns.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If you want a cheap book (~$15 shipped) that talks about some IDI stuff, get an old 1980s Econoline Chilton manual.

This one only goes to 88 so it won't account for E4OD, but aside from that...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno Franklin, I much prefer having 1 scan tool and 1 method of scanning and accurate scanning for all my vehicles instead of the goofy hoops I have to jump through for my older stuff.
I agree. But now they are using it at the inspection stations to certify your car before you get a sticker or permit to drive it.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness we don't have emission checks in the west texas area. The larger cities I understand have them. Out here in oil country we are more concerned with H2S emissions from the oil wells.

ISPKI

Reaction score
I agree. But now they are using it at the inspection stations to certify your car before you get a sticker or permit to drive it.
Well how else are they going to check your emissions system is installed and functioning?

Low1gear

Reaction score
If your truck is an IDI the eighth digit of the Vin will be a “M”, if it’s a IDI Turbo then the eighth digit will be a “K” and the Powerstroke will be an “F”. All three were available in 1994.

Low1gear

Reaction score
One other thing, the only ECM/ PCM on the IDI trucks is for the E4OD automatic transmission if equipped.