Failed Emissions

Zephyr

Reaction score
I live in one of those areas that requires emission testing. Today my 1994 IDI failed because the "check engine" light won't light. Exhaust opacity is low and the truck seems to run fine. I actually don't remember having seen a "check engine" light on this truck ever light up, but Colorado failed it because of NO light. I pulled the instrument cluster to check the bulb but no power at the bulb. Before I get in over my head, can somebody steer me in a diagnostic direction? I assume checking the ECM would be in the works, but I'm not even sure what it actually does in this truck given that it has a ZF-5 manual. Thanks in advance for the help.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no ECM at all. You need to take it to a different shop.

Check engine light only comes on when the oil pressure is low if I remember correctly.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even the prk dont smog these!
F u b a r !
lets look into the parameters for said cel to see what's happening .
+1 on Get another shop

Zephyr

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance on most things electrical. The owner's manual talks about an EEC. Does this exist on these trucks?

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only check engine light I'm aware of, is the lightbulb that goes off over your head when your elbow deep in grease:idiot:

Never-Have-I-Ether

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance on most things electrical. The owner's manual talks about an EEC. Does this exist on these trucks?

I thought the EEC was something to do with the electronic spark control on the gassers, but I don't know much about those. I might be getting my acronyms confused LOL

Charles is correct, the powerstroke came out mid year 94 and that DOES have a computer. An IDI does not.

Zephyr

Reaction score
Even the prk dont smog these!

I assume your acronym is the People's Republic of Kalifornia? Sadly Colorado is trying to give them a run for the money on smog, pot, and infringement of rights. But I digress....

So can I clarify the consensus? No computer, so no OBD? Check engine light only for low oil pressure, therefore if my my oil pressure is normal, there would be some sort of failure in the pressure sender or wiring between there and the pseudo check engine light? Is that light's only function what would typically be a red check oil light on a gas engine? Did this light even work from the factory on an IDI, I don't remember it ever working?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might consider another state. Just a thought. But not Florida, I'm starting to get crowded by all the "hey, let's move to Florida" crowd.

gandalf

Reaction score
I see a question here which would help answer this. You say you have a '94 IDI, and the Powerstroke came out as a '94 1/2. How sure are you that you have a '94 IDI and not a '94 Powerstroke? You checked the CEL bulb and found no power. Did the '94 IDI even have a CEL? Even provision a not yet functioning CEL?

EDIT: I just went out to check my '92. The only light which came on when starting was the "wait to start" light. As near as I can tell it has no CEL. I don't recall ever seeing it. Where should I be looking?

Last edited:

Zephyr

Reaction score
Yes I am 100% sure it is an IDI. I am the original owner and have done almost all the work on it since birth. It would make sense that the instrument panel might have had a non-functioning light (even with a bulb present) from manufacture since the same panel would be used in gassers and the yet-to-come Power Stroke. I was just looking for some evidence to be able to go to the emission station and tell them I needed my $65 back because they were bozos. I hate creating a scene if I wind up being wrong!

Florida sounds good, but I am leaning more toward SD, WY or NE. Too many bugs and humidity in FL.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The only engine light that I can remember on an IDI is for when the coolant temperature gets too hot. I don't recall it working for oil pressure, but I may be wrong on that.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
You have a cel, as I do on my 94,93,92,91, 89, and 87. If you want it to illuminate, or check the bulb/cluster for function, disconnect the factory oil pressure sender wire and start the truck. All of mine have a cel and they function. Driver side center just in front of bell housing for na idi. Turbo models I belive(could be wrong) are atop the turbo next to the oil feed line. X4 on different shop

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The only engine light that I can remember on an IDI is for when the coolant temperature gets too hot. I don't recall it working for oil pressure, but I may be wrong on that.

ENGINE comes on for low oil pressure on my 87 F250. The factory sensor is weak and makes the oil pressure gauge dip low at idle but the mechanical oil pressure gauge shows fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online