Multiport Injectors: anyone still running them?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember there was some discussion many years ago about retrofitting multiport fuel injectors to an IDI nozzle holder. "Moose Mister" comes to mind but they were fairly expensive at the time and I didn't have the coin for it back then. I think Wes also had plans to make something similar.

My truck recently rolled over 500 000 kilometers this year and it might be time to start shopping for another new set of injectors.

Although I do run an older "moose" pump, power is a bit of a secondary priority to MPGs. Diesel prices are no fun these days.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? Please chime in and help me spend some money LOL

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Maybe read up on indirect-injection principles.

IMHO, injection pressure is likely less than optimal, and the burn-rate/timing would be affected.

I've worked on some big older IDI Cats, and they still use a single hole injector.

Driving less saves me the most fuel.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're happy with how your truck runs, and you want to spend some $$$ just to get some more MPG and you're not worried about a bit of power loss, look at PA Biodiesel and @NeverHave-I-Ethers stuff. He has centerfuges that can clean used motor oil that can then be used as fuel. You don't have to modify your truck especially if you just do a 50/50 diesel to oil mix. That would make your fuel cost half price. I run 85-90% oil, and I think @u2slow does 50/50 or so.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
There used to be some DIY write-ups for low-rate propane delivery (vapour). Supposed to affect complete combustion of the diesel, and then also burn itself. The links i used to have are dead. Definitely don't want to overdo it, and get a pyro; less is more. Explore as you wish.

Fwiw, I blend more like 30% max wmo for my dodge. If i get into some nice light hyd oil, them maybe up to 50%.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the term you're looking for is multi-orifice or multi-hole. Multi-port is a type of gasoline efi. Anyways, I don't think moose misters used these nozzles on an IDI injector, as idi engines predominately use pintle or pintaux injectors. There is a member here who did convert some cummins multi-orifice nozzles to work with an IDI injector. He claimed more power, easier starting, and better fuel economy when used in his IDI, but he has to delete the glow plugs as they'll be torched off by the fuel stream if left in place. The idea of it seems bad to me, as the design and operational parameters between indirect and direct injection are completely different, but maybe the pre-cup can handle such a change.

There's been a lot of testing over the years regarding pop pressures and nozzle codes, and AFAIK, nothing revolutionary was found with any of the changes. So long as they pass the spray test and have the correct pop pressures, what you have is likely as good as it gets.