lost for ideas

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 92 ford 7.3 did something weird has been running OK but yesterday when I went to start it, it started to start then suddenly stopped like froze up hit the starter and it wouldn't turn over like stuck I only bumped it to try but it wouldn't turn over.
for me my first thought was a broken tooth on the starter or flywheel and jammed or water in a cylinder.
So first thing I did was pull the glow plugs and turn it over (which it did so eliminated the teeth on starter) to see if water shoots out a cylinder which it did in the last cylinder on the passenger side thinking crap!, but again heres the strange part for me is there wasn't (A) very much water sprayed out and (B) the water on the hose that got sprayed out wasn't any antifreeze to it my antifreeze is very dark green, plus antifreeze has a kind of film and smell this was just plain water that came out.
I checked the oil no water in the oil.
OK so I put pressure to the radiator put 13 pounds it held for over an hour cranked it over no spray of any kind out the cylinder put the glow plugs back in it fired right up and sounds like it always did but now theres a warning light in the dash says water in fuel I drained it at the filter and the light is still on.

I just don't know what to think of what might have happened?
Any ideas thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Water entered the intake and because the motor is tilted back it ran into that last cylinder. Now has it rained last nite or did you wash the motor??? On top of the air filter housing you need a rubber gasket under the wing nut. If thats missing and.. The clow to hood seal is broken or missing any rain water will settle on the air filter top. Then it seeps into the intake and hydrolocs the motor. Post back what you find.... Hopefully you didn't bend a rod....

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the truck sat out in heavy rain since the last time it ran?

Yea it did rain heavy the night before big winds too and the truck was facing into it. that makes since because when I opened the hood I remember seeing water on the air cleaner. The gasket seems OK I do remember that when I took off the air cleaner it didn't seem to be on very tight.
I don't think I bent anything because it didn't actually start and I didn't push it plus it seems to run OK.
Wow I hope that was it. definitely puts my mind at ease.

Man I love this site you guys are just awesome I never would have thought of that. THANK YOU!!!

Any ideas on how to get the water in fuel light off.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your water-in-fuel sender wire didn't fall off the sender and is now touching a metal part of the engine, that will ground the circuit and trip the light constantly. Also when you drained the water did you do so till clear fuel came out?