Still need ideas 7.3 idi air intrusion

cragenj3

Reaction score
Odo says 218k title says exempt
Dual tanks; new TSV, new hose everywhere.
New return caps, fuel filter, 1-3psi epump
Clear hose between epump and filter.
Fuel ratedTeflon on filter housing inlet and outlet, Schrader, capped return, and sensor.... Capped driver's front injector cap.
All new Delphi caps and orings
Hardlines with or without Teflon.
Clear hose from IP to driver's front injector.

No leaks...no air showing in clear anywhere.

New glow plugs and controller; maybe 8 seconds to warm up, then 7 seconds, then 6 seconds..if you cycle them repeatedly it will get to a mere second or two of WTS.

IP side triangle gasket is new; there is no top cover gasket?

Hardlines are all tight, no visible leaks...will bleed eventually if cracked open slightly; will bubble if cracked open a whole turn and retightened.

Starts right up. Smokes bad; dies in seconds. Stumbles st idle for 5 seconds and dies; or revs mostly out and dies in 3 seconds under heavy throttle. Starts right back up. If I shut it down as it's dying, I'll have air in my filter. Filter is new wix water seperator, $40 thing..want to say it's 3347 or 3367.

Same issue on either tank...front is half full, rear is completely full.

Ran front tank empty, died on the road. Switched to rear, primed, didn't start. Swapped filter, primed, didn't start...batteries died. Bump started it, ran 3 seconds with some injectors popping, then continued to run for 30 seconds before it died again. Took it home, bled it here and there, replaced the filter again, tefloned everything, replaced the epump and the return caps/orings/hoses/clamps, IP side gasket, retorqued top cover...starts right up; doesn't lose prime as it sits even overnight; smokes on startup and dies in seconds...

My only remaining options are to flush my IP and soak it in some cleaner over night; and temporarily bypass my brand new TSV to rule it out... Pull the tank unit and inspect it.... Right?

cragenj3

Reaction score
While you're here; anyone know the name of the grommet style orings that are in the filter housing's inlet/outlet..where the hardlines cap to the 90s.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on olives
Have you checked out the power to the ip?
Kinda sounds like a intermittent short/no power situation.
Commonly the ip is rated for around 100-125k of life.
Try hot wireing the fuel solenoid on.
Just in case
Be ready for a runaway...
Btw the pressure required for a bd2 according to mel is 3 psi before the system is at full satisfaction.

There's a tech 101 on supply psi.
Plenty of guys who forgot to turn on the electric pump and drove off fine also...
Keep hammering on it eventually it'll show up.

cragenj3

Reaction score
+1 on olives
Have you checked out the power to the ip?
Kinda sounds like a intermittent short/no power situation.
Commonly the ip is rated for around 100-125k of life.
Try hot wireing the fuel solenoid on.
Just in case
Be ready for a runaway...
Btw the pressure required for a bd2 according to mel is 3 psi before the system is at full satisfaction.

There's a tech 101 on supply psi.
Plenty of guys who forgot to turn on the electric pump and drove off fine also...
Keep hammering on it eventually it'll show up.
It does the clicking when I pull the wires off it and on.

Using a stronger epump is an interesting idea; **** a fuel leak just add more fuel, I like your thinking.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3-6 psi should be good as long as it is capable of enough flow rate. What is the fuel pressure when you get it started?

James

cragenj3

Reaction score
3-6 psi should be good as long as it is capable of enough flow rate. What is the fuel pressure when you get it started?

James
I don't know how to check that; if I plug my vacuum gauge into housing return I get 2 or 3 psi, can't even tell its such a small number. But for $30 I have a 4-7PSI diesel rated epump coming today maybe that'll do it.

I mean...the IP and Returns arent sucking fuel out of the filter; its gettinf pushed through the filter into the IP then into the returns...so my filter running dry must mean I'm pumping air into it.

If not the epump must be the lines to the tank the TSV or the tank pickups.

I know filling the tanks is a ***** and a half. The old junky big nozzle diesel pumps at small town fuel stores fill me up fine; but the new small nozzle high speed fill ups at speedway and marathon overflow or shut off even at the low speed notch...but my breather on the front is for sure good, though only 1/4" ID.

cragenj3

Reaction score
That $30 pump was junk out the box; gotta be within 7ft of the tank..... It's a super cab long bed dual tank truck... So I put it within 7ft and left my other epump up in the engine bay; still pumping partial air into the housing..

I guess I've officially narrowed it down to tank pickups or TSV. Going to go get enough house to bypass the TSV I guess...crazy it would fail in 3 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online