Locker & Rear-end Info

Griblik

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm going to start off with a disclaimer - I don't know a lot about trucks, and I don't know *anything* about Fords. I've had my '89 F250 for about 2 months now, and it's the first Ford I've ever owned/worked on. So, that being said, bare with me....

Sadly, my pickup is a 2wd model, and I've been looking at options to at least give it a *little* help in less-then-ideal road conditions. Been researching different locker options that wouldn't break the bank, and stumbled across the Powertrax options. Are these waaaaaaay less expensive then standard locker systems because they're crap, or would this be a viable option? Does anybody have suggestions for a better option, or other things I should be considering to improve traction options? I'm just talking about dirt roads and occasionally ice or light snow, not planning to go mud bogging or sand duning in my 2wd....

If the Powertrax is a viable option, I'm finding that the next step is to determine what I have for a rear axle. All the stickers/labels that I think would've normally given me this information have either been removed or painted over - so what's the best way to determine what axle I have? I know on my old Chev I could count bolts on the differential housing, but just don't know how this is determined on a Ford. Along with my axle, I'm curious as to how I would determine what gearing I'm set up with.

I acquired this truck for dirt cheap as just kind of a project truck/something to toy around with and build, so I'm sure this will be the first of many questions you'll find me posting... Thanks in advance for any info or advice..!

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Can't really help with axle identification other than maybe trying to decode your VIN. I had a Powertrax locker in my 98 F150 2wd and it was pretty good. I never had any problems with it, but it does ratchet when you take a turn. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you give the truck "gas" in a turn you'll engage both wheels and get a little chirping. IMO if I have trouble this winter with the 2wd dually I just bought a couple months ago I'll be looking for another Powertrax unit.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well as for lockers the powertrax is a good option, one of the inexpensive models that uses the factory diff. That being said that is why it is less expensive. It is engineered to replace the differential gears with a set of interconnecting gears that will engage and disengage as you turn.

As the previous person said watch out if you power up in the middle of the turn, as both axles will end up locking and you'll chirp yer tires and may have some peculiar handling issues.

IT is less expensive because it is not replacing the entire differential so less cost to manufacture. It is limited in strength as well because of that same reason.

For everyday use and occasional fire road use you'll likely not find a better "Locker" solution for the money.

Just like loading the locker in the middle of a corner, driving with a locker on ice can be tricky, you my find that your back end really moves on well crowned roads. Again a learning curve but nothing that can't be handled.

For me having had Posi, and lockers, I feel think for street and occasional off road a posi is likely your best solution. For cost....Powertrax cannot be beat.

As for axle ID you will likely have one of a two different rear ends, either a coporate ford (Or Sterling) 10.25" or a Dana 60

Look here to ID the rear end from what it looks like
http://www.4wheelnoffroad.com/axle.html#Ford

To calculate the ration, perhaps it's time to pop the diff cover off and replace the fluid. From there you can see whats stamped into the ring grear thus giving you your ratio.

Next, you can do this with two people:

Mark the drive shaft at the diff (chalk) at 3 or 9 oclock
Mark the tire on the road at 6 oclock
slowly have your friend drive while you count how many revolutions the driveshaft makes while you watch the wheel to come full circle to the 6 oclock position again.

For example if the driveshaft spins 3 and 3/4 turns to one of the wheel you will likely have 3.73 gear set or if it turns just past 4 turns, you likely have 4.10's.

I hope this answers your questions

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Lockers are great. with a locker and and a good set of studded snow tires, you'll still be cruising down the road in a blizzard/ice storm while the 4x4s are spinning off into the ditch. My 93 volvo 940 turbo came from the factory with an Eaton locker ( those things have a dana 30 rear end in them ). it goes places on snow , ice and muck that stock 4x4s dream of ( and places where my dually gets stuck just thinking about -cuss I once pulled an older 15 ft ski boat that I was buying up a grassy, muddy hill with that car, that the owner couldn't budge with his 4x4 cheby with mudders on it, and in ice storms I get tired of waiting for the 4x4s to spin out and go in the ditch ( it usually doesn't take long :D so I can get back up to speed

As said, if you stab it with a locker, it can get away from you, but just for a second if you're paying attention

Even a tag or vin number may not help if it's been changed by a previous owner. My truck is supposed to have a 10.25 open, ( it sure acts like it , it gets stuck in a heartbeat ) but when I had the rear axle jacked up, I noticed the wheels act like a posi, so it looks like I have a posi with worn out clutches. I've just been too lazy ( and it's too stinking hot out ) to pop the cover and see what's in there. I haven't decided weather to rebuild that unit or pop a locker in, but I'm leaning toward the locker. Posi units usually just give enough traction to get you into trouble, but not enough to get out.

There may be a tag on your axle, but you can id the cover by looking at one of the big differential sites( I think www.reiderracing.com has a chart ) but before ordering an insert, you'll need to pop the cover and see if it has an open carrier or posi in the thing, the locker inserts are application specific.

---------Robert

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
INFO!!

you have a sterling 10.25..the lockers for these are EXPENSIVE...

you can run a limited slip carrier and do not add the friction modfier (actually makes it slip more WITH the modifyer..)

or find someone who knows how..and weld the carrier/differential up..it will cause some tire squall on hard slow speed turns..and the truck will tend to go straighter in the turns..but not very noticable with the longer wheelbase...

Im getting ready to weld the 10.25 in my explorer (custom mud/rock truck)...takes some time..but they both will spin from now on!!

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got a Sterling 10.25. Check the axle code on your door sticker, it'll tell you your gear ratio and whether or not you have a limited slip.

It's very possible you already have a limited slip with a truck this old--the clutches are probably worn out. You can find some good info about rebuilding them with extra clutches jammed in there to really stiffen it up. Ford calls it a "Trac-Lok" or something, GM calls it "Posi Trac".

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Click Here to read about my experience with my locker. I know it's in a Dodge but trust me a 2wd drive truck is a 2wd truck. The locker does help - it's not a cure all by any means but you can go more places with it.