Rear taillight wiring question

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a question about the rear taillight harness. I've read a couple threads already on it and have come to find out the following.

Orange with strip=right turn/brake.

Green with strip=left turn/brake.

Brown=running lights.

Black with pink strip=reverse.

Now I'm am left with one solid black wire, that you can see in the picture. I've been told this is a ground that is grounded up front somewhere? On the factory harness it looks like it was tied into the running lights and license plate light. Guess my question is do I just tie this "ground" back into my running lights?
You must be registered for see images attach
FYI I'm wiring in new LEDs so I'm not using a factory harness.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be able to ground it anywhere you get a solid connection. If the run/license lights don't run after, give them their own ground.

Go to Documentation on the top
Then Electrical
Then EVTM
Then you'll see the EVTM for 1986 or 1996, either one should be close enough for your truck.

bumblebeer

Reaction score
Sounds right to me. Here is a diagram that may help, but things could be different if someone has got into it before you. It's kinda expensive, but for situations like this a Power Probe is worth every cent.

Attachments

• Tail Lights.pdf
    188.7 KB · Views: 8

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful. Dark brown wire and a dirty black wire can look the same. Turn on the running lights and check the wire for voltage if you are not sure. Hooking the black to the brown will probably blow the running light fuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online