Lunchbox locker

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks will lock only one hub with a full front locker for three wheel driveability

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Front locker up front sounds like an animal you better be ready for

Yes it is. We had an 83 F-150 with the factory Limited Slip differentials on both ends (front and rear). It was new enough they both still worked like theY should. It was a 4.10 truck (on the floor it would maybe do 75 - 351 V-8).

But, if you out it in 4-lo and stabbed the throttle, the truck would just sit there and hop (this was on a hard surface, like a concrete street)

In the winter, in 4-hi on our crowned country roads, if you stopped fora stop sign, and there was snow on the roads, when you stepped on the gas, the truck would slide straight sideways, toward the ditch, until it got traction in the fresh snow on the side of the road and then would pull away like it was dry…. Was a fun truck….. eventually the engine went…. But that is the truck I learned to drive in, and drove for awhile after I got my license. It is where my love of Victoria Paint scheme Bullnoses comes from….

Black dawg

Reaction score
Lots of folks will lock only one hub with a full front locker for three wheel driveability
While I have never actually driven one with one hub unlocked, I have driven many times with a broken and removed axle, still with transfer case sending power to front, this pulls SOO badly I dont get why people keep saying this like they use it as a selectable locker....

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Immediately sliding sideways on a crowned road from a stop means you broke traction in the first place. With both (locked) tires pushing, there's more traction and a wider window to not break traction. The old one-tire open diff show saved your butt by not propelling you at all when overzealous.

Another idea for the front is a true-trac (aka torsen). That's what I have going into the front of the jeep next (that np242 AWD). I know it cost more and won't be as effective as a lunchbox locker though.

One way I've looked at it.... How many times can you afford to call the tow-truck (or endure the downtime for friendly help) vs throwing a few bux at a traction aid that avoided the stuck in the first place? I'm talking about wet grass, steep dirt driveway, pulled off the road 2" too far, etc.
That's why I would put something like an air locker in the front if I was to do it.

Hmmm... Twice the price, plus a compressor? bearings and gear setup?' I'm not convinced it's possible to engage/disengage it as fast as I can work the throttle with a lunchbox.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. We had an 83 F-150 with the factory Limited Slip differentials on both ends (front and rear). It was new enough they both still worked like theY should.
The truck I had was a 1980 f150, fairly loaded. It was a rust bucket I got for $300. The front pass side axle and slip yoke were shot, so I tried not to use the 4x4 too much till I got a new axle and yoke. I then had to tear it all down and that's when I found out the front pumpkin didn't have much oil in it and looked a little rusty. I slapped it all back together and it all worked fine, but it did have clutch packs in the frontend. I wonder now if they were rusted fast and I basically was running a spool up front. That truck did some crazy stuff in deep snow.