Lifters, all or 1?

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I have decided that I have a ticking lifter. I cannot find it ANYWHERE ELSE!! and its intermittent. I am thinking about trying some autoRX or g44k or what have you, but I am not hopeful!

Anyway, should I just replace them all while I am in there, or figure out which one is band and replace that one?

Also, where should I get them. Napa? IH? any aftermarket companies that make a better lifter than any of the other?

Thanks for you help!

PZ

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try some essentialube in the oil first, I supppose any oil cleaner will help but if it is intermittent it should clear up.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah this is one instance when I would suggest trying an oil additive first. A heavy dose Autorx or any other good cleaner might just do it and buy you another 100 thousand k or so.

I have the same issue with my 1990, intermittent and I keep the oil nice and clean, I use Rislone Engine Treatment every oil change and my slight and intermittent ticking has been there for about 5 years and not getting much worse.

But if you are in there to change a lifter, do them all!! wouldn't want to go back in there down the road to do another one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above.. Doing all of them keeps you from "going back in later" trying to find the possible other bad one. Its not easy just looking at a lifter and seeing if its good or bad. Only once has a member here had a lifter problem and it was easy to see the bad issue. The retainer rings had come off the lifters and allowed many problems. Some of the early lifters didn't have a roller bearing in the roolers. They had a bushing. I have a new set of those here. Those sometimes caused the rollers to freeze up and flatten the cam and rooler. Talk about issues.. Thats a real mess requiring a cam, lifters and sometimes a valve job because of bent valves.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Ok, so I am not sure that I am going in after the lifters yet. I AM going to try some of the suggested oil additives first, in hopes that I don't have to tear into her.

HOWEVER, I still need to do some work, I plan on killing allot of birds with one stone.
-New IP: Mel has my old IP now, and is Moose-a-fying it now!
-New GP's since two of mine (less than 1 year old) are toast.
-Timing (my timing is way advanced now as I have killed two glow pugs and should not have killed any yet. So the MP is getting timed with a meter!)
-*possibly* all lifters.

So I guess what this boils down to, in the interest of saving time, what parts will I need to complete the lifters, (IE Valve cover gaskets, valley pan gaskets, intake gaskets.) and where should I get them. Napa parts ok? or should I hit the IH and Ford dealers?

Also, are there any mods that I will want to do while I am in there. Anything to get more HP, lower EGT, lower engine temp, more oil pressure, more boost, better starting (blah blah blah).

TIA
PZ