IP rebuilt lost power!

jimmyB

Reaction score
Hi guys,new here.I just purchased a 94f350 7.3 idi from my brother.When he first got the truck it was crazy fast.It would run with my 01 chipped ps.Well the IP went bad and was filling the motor with fuel so he had it rebuilt. So when he got it back it was a dog! Also this truck has a banks siewinder kit as well as the transcommand. So i bought it and and started doing a little research and maybe the mechanic didnt set the fuel and timing right.But it does run good but no power.I turned the fuel up 2 flats and it did nothing(no smoke).Any opinions or knowledge of this?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
check the timing... i would have it set with a meter to 9.5deg....mine is closer to 10.5 and its too much

jimmyB

Reaction score
sorry im new to these,what do i test with the meter? I thought there was timing marks under that plate on the front of the IP gear.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum about the idi engines...
Those timing marks on the gear cover and injection pump really mean nothing. We have two accepted ways to time our engines. Pulse or luminosity timing. The pulse is the type of timing most here will use. You need a meter that has a magnetic probe and a injector line clampon probe. The Kent Moor J33300 meters work well doing both types of timing. They are still sold and backed up by kent moore. I have a rental program for these meters too. Several members have benifited from using my meters. Anytime you replace injectors the timing should be at least checked... As your injection pump wears it will loose timing too. Do a search here for some of my viedos about timing and injection pump install or removel. They are very easy to watch and understand.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Here is a pic of you timing marks, at least from my 1983, your milage may vary.

You will need to buy, rent, steal, borrow or go to someone that has timing gear.

You can also use a certain timing light and a Ferret (If I remember right) meter.

Attachments

• Harmonic%20Balancer%206_9%20IDI%20003.JPG
    Harmonic%20Balancer%206_9%20IDI%20003.JPG
    787.3 KB · Views: 17

jimmyB

Reaction score
thanks guys,i forgot to add he took it to 2 different diesel mechanics and they said it was in time. But the guys around here are kinda shady.And would that have anything to do with it shifting into 3rd gear with in 30 feet?

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
A lot of times supposed mechanics will tell you to leave it, then they time it by ear, it won't be accurate that way.

Black dawg

Reaction score
thanks guys,i forgot to add he took it to 2 different diesel mechanics and they said it was in time. But the guys around here are kinda shady.And would that have anything to do with it shifting into 3rd gear with in 30 feet?

On the shifting, it sounds like the tps needs set up a little bit.

two flats should have made a noticeable difference.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The tps needs to be set with a digital voltmeter. This controls how the trans shifts. The middle wire needs to show .96 to 1.2 volts at key on engine off at idle. Its easy so adjust once you find it and have done it once. The tps switch is found on the drivers side of the injection pump and has three wires in the harness. Just loosen the two bolts or screws and rotate the switch till you see the voltage wanted on the center wire in the harness.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a 94 rarely does the IP leak fuel into the crankcase, the later IP's have a weep hole to prevent that. I would check out the lift pump, they can leak fuel into the crankcase when the diaphram goes bad. As said, the TPS/FILP voltage should be checked for the shifting, hard shifts will indicate the voltage at idle position may be way too high (.96 to 1.02) for smooth shifts, if it's set correct, the transcommand could be the problem of quick shifting.
Couple of questions, when you say it has no power.
Do you have a boost gage?
What is the boost running at when hard throttle?
Do you have an exhaust temp (EGT) gage?
What is the EGT's when normal driving (55-65 MPH)?
EGT's should be around 500 to 650.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big question is how was the pump installed???

jimmyB

Reaction score
thanks guys! im learning. Well i dont have a boost gage but i do have the egt gage. It sits around 600 when i get on it and 300 mild driving.So the transcommand could make it shift to soon?Is that one i can just unplug and plug the factory harness back?And i dont pull anything.Oh,and can i get one of those multimeters from HF?