IP rebuilt lost power!

jimmyB

Reaction score
Yes i took the cover off the side of the IP and and used the allen wrench to turn it 2 flats clockwise.Blackdawg,it starts fine hot or cold.It only smokes black alittle bit when its WOT.I dont have a boost gage.And the egt's are 600 when i get on it and 300 cruising.One thing i noticed,when im cruising and step on the pedal and it kicks down the rpm's jump up and it doesnt go any faster until it hits second gear hard.Just did a new radiator (375 bucks) and pivot bushings.This truck is super clean.I need to get some pics on here.My buddys still cant believe i paid a $1000 for it.I love this truck!!

jimmyB

Reaction score
well the injection pump was rebuilt because it was putting fuel into the engine from somewhere and i have turned it up 2 flats allready with no change in the fuel.Whats the average egt's with the pump turned up(meaning a good tune without rolling coal)?Should i turn it up more?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the injection pump was rebuilt because it was putting fuel into the engine from somewhere and i have turned it up 2 flats allready with no change in the fuel.Whats the average egt's with the pump turned up(meaning a good tune without rolling coal)?Should i turn it up more?

you keep saying this. the hiogh pressure pump usually isn't the one that does this. the low pressure pump is usually the one that fills the crank-case with fuel.

600 degrees exhaust temp is way too low for max power. turn it up 2 more flats. you should be getting 900-1000 degrees in gear foot on the floor at high RPM (2-3k rpm).

how long has it bean since you've looked at the oil? what is the fuel pressure at the fuel filter head?

Black dawg

Reaction score

does your brother remember what the pyro would get before?

I wonder if the pyro is accurate?

I would verify fuel pressure (under load) next.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd drive the truck to the shop and talk to them face to face. Ask them exactly what was removed and who rebuild the IP. If they removed the IP with the housing and gear....... your cam to IP gear timing is likely off. If they rebuild the IP, you're screwed. There is no way I'd trust their work on rebuilding the pump with zero calibration equipment and they likely *****'ed the thing.

You really have to know the answer to those two questions.......
How did the IP get removed/replaced?
Who rebuilt the IP?

Heath

Black dawg

Reaction score
Yep, talking to them would be a good thing. And I highly doubt they did anything but replace the driveshaft seals, which can be done without calibrating. But if they charged him for rebuilding it that is what they are going to say. Kind of odd that a non diesel shop would "rebuild" an injection pump.

jimmyB

Reaction score
well the low pressure pump is not new so i dont think he replaced it.And you can see he put red paint on all the screws for the TPS,IDLE,the srews that hold on the window on the side of the IP.And he grinded of the original timing marks on the IP and put new ones.Ok with that being said,i went out and turned it up another flat and no difference!!Can the IP be turned down that dam low?Im sorry guys if im being a pain in the butt,just new to the idi and want it right.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im wondering, if maybe the pump is out of time but not that bad to where it will start and run... hot or cold.... hmmm.. to be honest id just take it down there and tell them they screwed u in the behind with a broomstick and some vaseline and tell them to fix it...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well the low pressure pump is not new so i dont think he replaced it.And you can see he put red paint on all the screws for the TPS,IDLE,the srews that hold on the window on the side of the IP.And he grinded of the original timing marks on the IP and put new ones.Ok with that being said,i went out and turned it up another flat and no difference!!Can the IP be turned down that dam low?Im sorry guys if im being a pain in the butt,just new to the idi and want it right.

If your fuel supply is normal, then something is wrong with your IP. It likely was a poor qaulity rebuild. If it runs fine and you want to keep using it until it fails, that's fine. If not get a rebuild from a quality shop.

Heath

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
have you checked fuel supply? Small adjustment of the fuel screw are noticeable.

The pump rebuilder may not be willing to do anything since you had that cover off.

Since all the screws are painted, my bet is he bought a rebuild and put it on.

Like I said before, I would verify fuel pressure before you go any further.

jimmyB

Reaction score
well guys i have figured it out!!!! I turned it up one more flat and happen to look at that tourqe screw and the allen head was way down inside the set nut.So i loosened the set nut and screwed the allen head out just alittle past the set screw.Took it for a drive and holly shiot!!! This thing fly's now!! I guess that one more flat did the trick.So thats 4 flats it was out and that tourqe screw was way off.Any idea why that mechanic had everything set so low?Again,thanks for the help guys!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online