Power steering pissedness

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
And for whatever it may be worth, i have replaced very few ford pumps over the years, but lots of saginaw pumps.

The only reason I had to mess with the possibly original Saginaw pump on the 85 RV was because the huge O-ring seal to the reservoir was leaking. The pump itself was fine. I replaced it anyway due to it's age and difficulty to replace on a van chassis. I kept the old one though as a spare.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s just crap parts. And like you were saying about steering habits, I do get along with manual steering for those reasons

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a blue top gear box and it’s great. A little less than red top and I think they’re same league. I went ahead and did the lines and new motor craft pump while in there. My only regret is not getting a hydro boost pump.

Maybe just save for a few weeks and hit it all at once.

(Only buy tools you “need” rather than want)

Or convert to manual

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Ordered the manual box, makes things simpler. I have the money to fix the power steering, but I don't want to.

It's ok as long as you're moving. Otherwise it's almost impossible. I had to move my RV once or twice with power steering not working (pulled the pump and the O'Reilly's one was assembled wrong so i returned instead of fixing and voiding warranty by messing up the paint) and holy crap. I only had to go get water and dump the tanks so it wasn't a big deal or a high risk trip, all pull through stuff, so I just had to start moving before I could steer.

I had a 91 Corolla loose power steering and it wasn't too terrible, i just removed the belt and drove without it. Aside from that, I've had a 93 Geo Metro with manual steering and of course now the bug. Light stuff is tolerable, heavy not so much.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's ok as long as you're moving. Otherwise it's almost impossible. I had to move my RV once or twice with power steering not working (pulled the pump and the O'Reilly's one was assembled wrong so i returned instead of fixing and voiding warranty by messing up the paint) and holy crap. I only had to go get water and dump the tanks so it wasn't a big deal or a high risk trip, all pull through stuff, so I just had to start moving before I could steer.

I had a 91 Corolla loose power steering and it wasn't too terrible, i just removed the belt and drove without it. Aside from that, I've had a 93 Geo Metro with manual steering and of course now the bug. Light stuff is tolerable, heavy not so much.
I have operated several big rigs with no power steering. Tough maybe, but manageable. I once had an old IH grain truck with no power steering… and a Ford one too… just have to move a bit to turn. I never minded it.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Manual steering and power steering with no power are two completely different animals.

James

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about repetitive pump failures so I'm wondering if these are remand pumps that are failing or brand new pumps? My PS pump sprung a leak yesterday and I figure to replace it and attempt to rebuild the one I have now so that I have a spare. Should I buy new or remand and which brand is best?

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And another thing. The manual says to use dexron 2 for the PS pump, but that doesn't exist anymore, neither does "official" dexron 3. Can dexron 6 be used instead?

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Iam using power Steering fluid in mine.

Goat
It seems to me that if it's called power steering fluid, how does it know that I'm not using transmission fluid.... other than the difference in color? I just prefer to stick with manufacturers specs, if possible. How long have you been running PS fluid in your pump? I presume it's running fine.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never worried about what I put in any of mine. I have used type F, Dex 3, O'Reilly universal, power steering fluid and any combination of them in the same system.

I have one that is a leaker that I should have fixed years ago just never have, I have had the same ps pump on it since sometime in 02 when I got it. Engine is in its second truck so the gearbox has only been running on the mixed fluids since around late 07, but I have seen no ill effects from it. I believe that the leak is the return line on the bottom of pump, just never have gotten around to fixing it.

James

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never worried about what I put in any of mine. I have used type F, Dex 3, O'Reilly universal, power steering fluid and any combination of them in the same system.

I have one that is a leaker that I should have fixed years ago just never have, I have had the same ps pump on it since sometime in 02 when I got it. Engine is in its second truck so the gearbox has only been running on the mixed fluids since around late 07, but I have seen no ill effects from it. I believe that the leak is the return line on the bottom of pump, just never have gotten around to fixing it.

James
Okay, that makes me feel better. This leak I have, however, will be competition for the Exxon Valdez if I don't do something about it. I have no idea how old the pump is but once I have it out I'll attempt to rebuild it. Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online