Inside dual blew....cracked my hip....

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So The Dewey's been stylin' with her makeover a little over a year and then towing the TT to Savannah my inside tire blows up :mad: It destroyed the running board, mud flap, hip and believe it or not my exhaust also! Anyway I'm needing to source a new hip....so far junk yards have been no help. Does anyone know anything about these? It says they are "steel" which would be really strange and cool at the same time....Anyways any help would be appreciated.....I'm also not sure where I am gonna source the back running board.....oh here is the link for the hip....

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=10342+4294963354+1616+11921+9206

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man, that sucks - what's with all the tires failures lately, first one of my inboard threw a piece of the tread a few weeks ago, then one of our fellow members lost his exhaust and VSS and eventually the entire trans when his SRW setup threw a tread, and now yours just exploded!

That fender being all steel is pretty cool tho, and price ain't bad at all - most OEM fenders I've seen on CL sold north of $250...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which fender cracked? I have a decent drivers side. I have a nice set of running boards on a 90 f350 that I plan to start parting out when I get back from vacation.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say the inner tire went, but your outer dually fender is bad? I backed into a parked Mercedes a few months ago:rolleyes: and crunched my passenger side rear fender. I can't find one around me to save my life. The junkyards want $200 for one when they do have them. I know Ford wants $440 for one. I think RockAuto has them for $245 but I think it's some sort of plastic. It's a low priority for me with the hope of running across a cheap used one. Any dually fender froma 87 to 97 will work.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which fender cracked? I have a decent drivers side. I have a nice set of running boards on a 90 f350 that I plan to start parting out when I get back from vacation.

It's the passenger side. Maybe you could post some pics of the boards when you get back?

I forgot about rock auto....have to look there....that link is also interesting to me because they are metal....hopefully this problem wouldn't happen again if they are metal....just never heard of anyone having them.
Yup the inside dual is still within the hip so when the rubber started flying it took it out. :mad:

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
If you go the Rock Auto route, you can use discount code: 33539492084429 for a 5% discount til 8/1/10. This goes for anyone.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that sucks! Sorry to hear Eric. You have a lot of that Luverne custom stuff like Lady Moose has, so I know those items are hard to come by. I can help you out. I have a perfectly good passenger side dually fender I can sell you. I'd like $1800 for it. It comes with a truck attached. :D

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that sucks! Sorry to hear Eric. You have a lot of that Luverne custom stuff like Lady Moose has, so I know those items are hard to come by. I can help you out. I have a perfectly good passenger side dually fender I can sell you. I'd like $1800 for it. It comes with a truck attached. :D

I was getting all excited until I read the truck is attached!!! :backoff:backoff LOLLOL
I remember you have that Luverne stuff too.....so I thought you were gonna tell me you had my running boards too! LOL Yah I haven't been able to find anything similar for all the Stainless stuff....too bad cuz I really like it....:dunno I don't guess I need a whole truck though....what year is it? ;Really:sly No better not Bethan would kill me! :eek:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen once-only it was an outside tire. It did a bit of dazmage to the fender also. Is your fender repairable?

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mr Bill!
I "might" be able to fix it if I had to....It had a couple cracks in it when I re-did the truck and I fixed them with no problems....came out really good actually. As a matter of fact one of the cracks I repaired let loose again this time....but anyway the only "but" I have about repairing it is that the tabs that hold the hip to the bedside were ripped off on the front --- if that makes any sense. The hip is still secured to the side of the truck but only by the back (tailgate side) tabs. The front ones were destroyed. So I'm thinking those could be a "beech" to re-create. I'm thinking with the price of a new one (although not cheap) would be better than attempting a repair; but the thought definately has been crossing my mind. ;Sweet

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some pics....1 and 2 were on the side of I26....not fun!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 5

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet a good boat repair place, or some body shop that does corvettes could fix it up right. Man that sucks! Sucks! SUCKS!

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I think the tabs are held on by "corvett glue" A strong bonder used to attach stuff-I think I saw it on a vidio making jet skis to hole the motor mounts ,etc in the hull. I would check with a body shop. There are some epoxys with a lot more strength then just fibergalss resin.
I need to take a pic of a fender repair (stick together) done on the road with no sanding just ether as a cleaner,It was supposed to be temporary -but we all know how that goes,I was trying to start an operation and not feeling up to par,so it was not a high priority at the time. I post it when deb gets the camer back.You will laugh but the fact is it held. The strongest epoxys I have seen are Marine tex and then JB weld -PC7 my my there are a lot to chose from but Marine tex is my favorite (pricy but strong) it has proven its self to me over & over.
The "shoddy" patch was done in nov 2002 on the ide of the road -with no sand paper ,just a rag & some ether to clean it with. The white is the Marine tex (there is soam on the inside & outside of the crack),note it still looks clean -not effected by UV rays. The yellow on the uper part of the crack is just some epoxy I had in the truck. I allways carried marine tex in my truck. The repair is almost 8 years old and still has a good grip,I just pulled on the fender enough to flex it and it still held fine. The truck has been thru NYcity streets (rough as they come).Once we could only go 20MPH because of the shacking and pounding the road was giving us.My fenders are rough on the inside and need a lot of work. Also that all the marine tex I had with me at the time.
I think this at least gives testimony to a great product!

Attachments

• Fender 1.JPG
    Fender 1.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Fender 2.JPG
    Fender 2.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Fender 3.JPG
    Fender 3.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Forum statistics