Time to defeat my FSS?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Anybody else have ANY failures of FSS?
I have, one time, but it was a complete freak of nature type of circumstance. Here's the shorter version. I had a radio short itself out. I had to be towed home. I finally found out that the reason why I had no power with the key on was because the alternator charge wire/fusible link had burned in two, but left the outer covering intact. I got that fixed and the truck wouldn't start. That's when I discovered that the FSS wasn't working. I swapped it out with another one from an old IP I had laying around and the truck ran fine until it ended up upside down in a ravine a couple of years later. How it happened, I'll never know or have a guess.
I could be a CNN commentater like Brain Stelter with all that knowledge.
Probably not a good comparison since I'm pretty sure that they canned him like a tuna. Just a FYI.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two failed FSS here in 5 years. Must be my wife leaving the ignition on. I can't change her, but I can change the truck to the air choke shutoff method.

There are a few FSS failures out here in a search, but not many. It's rare. Hey, it's another coincidence!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That`s a good question. Is she turning the Engine off and leaving the keys in the ignition Switch, and not turning to the last click before pulling them out?

Goat

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Worn lock cylinder, or someone likes listening to the radio. Can fix the truck, can't fix the driver. But they keep my paychecks coming.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worn lock cylinder, or someone likes listening to the radio. Can fix the truck, can't fix the driver. But they keep my paychecks coming.

Bingo. She's given us four healthy kids, and I'm grateful. I choose my battles. I can fix the truck. Back when we dated she scraped the low nose of my car on a curb, backing up. Forgot that the front swings the other way when you back up and turn. I fixed that paint, and asked her to marry me a few weeks later.

Funny thing is, now I can put her on driving the tractor while I'm strapping up 1400 lb round bales to drag them off the trailer onto the forks, and she is extremely good and careful. A bale would hurt me if she dropped one off the forks. She's just forgetful. When she's paying attention, she's excellent. And she makes home made French cheese. Can't even buy that in Texas.

Anyway, I'm excited about that oil field air shut off. Sticking your fist in a runaway diesel to choke it out is no fun. I've seen runaway diesels that threw rotating parts right out thru crank case and into sheet metal. As a fireman in France, I had to go drag a stupid woman away who was peering into her engine compartment by the side of the road. She'd smoked the clutch trying to stall it and it was headed towards 8000 rpm when I yanked her away. It died later without a bang, just like my HDJ80 did when its turbo bearing failed. Fortunately.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
Does the acc position not work in this truck? Some ignition switches dont have the acc position, but pretty easy to change.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's raining cold sideways now in Texas or I'd go check. But I don't think this Bully has Acc position. Even though it's XLT Lariat...

In any case, she usually listens to Jack Spirko podcasts on her earbud, not the radio. Another reason she's a keeper. When SHTF, she'll still feed us.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black dawg.
You are one funny dude.
Ever try to train a woman how to use the accessory position with a key to listen to the radio?
" It came on an' that's ALL I needed. "
Install a dash mounted cable for FSS on/off and the key operates the electric fuel pump.
So push the cable to start, turn on the key to activate the pump and crank the engine. Pull cable to shut off.
I had a FSS fail on my 6.9 once.
Fun tow bill that AAA covered, but it killed a day or two.
Cable operated FSS has been in the back of my head for some time now.
Now I also have the 7.3 idiT

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if one places a small valve on the IP fuel inlet to provide a backup method of interrupting fuel flow? Will it simply shut down the engine, or will it force the IP to run itself dry and damage itself via lack of the fuel it was using as lubricant?

Black dawg

Reaction score
A valve on the return out of the top of the pump will kill the engine.
Black dawg.
You are one funny dude.
Ever try to train a woman how to use the accessory position with a key to listen to the radio?
" It came on an' that's ALL I needed. "
Install a dash mounted cable for FSS on/off and the key operates the electric fuel pump.
So push the cable to start, turn on the key to activate the pump and crank the engine. Pull cable to shut off.
I had a FSS fail on my 6.9 once.
Fun tow bill that AAA covered, but it killed a day or two.
Cable operated FSS has been in the back of my head for some time now.
Now I also have the 7.3 idiT
Not sure how my posts came to sound like trying to train anybody to do anything, or even aimed towards a woman?

My point was that some ignition switches dont have the accesory position, but adding one that does will allow someone to listen to the radio with the engine off.

Last edited:

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turning off the fuel is easy enough to do in several instances.
Now that the FSS failed on the side of the road and won't turn on, NOW What? I dropped an email to Oregon Injection in Eugene and no such luck with a cable on/off. My next best bet would be to carry extra FSS and tools.
The only other option might be to drill a hole in the top cover, install a wire to manually operate it but then how do you contain the pressurized fuel and also not have air intrusion?
I suspect an extra FSS might be in order.