Injection pump fuel feed line alternative

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the hubub is here, but I threaded regular 3/8" brass nipple fittings on the back of the IP check valve from a local plumbing supplier and ran a hose. It isn't braided. It isn't stainless. But in a pinch I can replace it with vinyl see through for troubleshooting. It's been working fine. With no leaks.

The braided one is nice looking though.

Paul

The difference is with the Jic fittings you have a hose that is easily removable without distorting anything that might effect the seal of teh hose next time you put it back on, it is reusable an indefinite number of times without messing it up.

With barb fittings and clear hose, you are back to loosening clamps and popping hose off to get the fittings off and you can't do that too many times before teh hose cracks.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Rob,

I did not know that (best Johnny Carson I can muster at the moment). I like what you did here. I was mostly refering to the fitment questions brought up recently. If I remember correctly the check valve on the back of the pump converts the metric to npt fittings.

Thank you sir.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Wow thread resurrection!

Good info again though. I didn't find this thread when I made mine, but it is exactly what I did.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i sure would like to know what the threads where on the end of the IP i've got all the stuff to make the hose and have good sources for the fittings. heck i could make several up and ship them to you guys prob cheaper than most could build it for themselfs

Let me know if you're serious about that once you get the part #'s. Work up a price and then sell me 2!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me know if you're serious about that once you get the part #'s. Work up a price and then sell me 2!

i believe its 1/2" NMPT. just bought one from my local store for the tune of 4 bucks.
had a -6 AN fitting on the other side

DIY AN fittings arnt cheap. 117 bucks to go directly on, its worth it
plus Mel sells the high quality crimped fittings...
IMO they are superior.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like charging that much, but the darn hose is REAL expensive and worth the money. They all look the same on the outside, but this stuff is much higher quality than your going to get elsewhere.

jmuenchow

Reaction score
I don't like charging that much, but the darn hose is REAL expensive and worth the money. They all look the same on the outside, but this stuff is much higher quality than your going to get elsewhere.

For the line that goes from the pump to the fuel filter?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For the line that goes from the pump to the fuel filter?

Actually this is a yes and no answer. From the filter to the injection pump is the line Mel makes. The line from the pump to filter is the lift pump to filter line. At least thats how I read your post. We need to remember why this filter to injection pump line has these odd seals on both ends and why the line is steel. This was the cheapest line money could buy. Had it been a hard line with flared fittings on each end the engine vibration would cause it to crack. So these olive seals were fitted in both ends. Now I have read some about why the line was steel. Thats because this line is after the filter. You don't want any crap getting into the injection pump from there. If its a rubber line of questionable quality it may start to degrade. then it goes into the expensive injection pump. I realize there is a secondary filter in the injection pump but trying to clean it is a ruff job without removing the injection pump.

jmuenchow

Reaction score
Actually this is a yes and no answer. From the filter to the injection pump is the line Mel makes. The line from the pump to filter is the lift pump to filter line. At least thats how I read your post. We need to remember why this filter to injection pump line has these odd seals on both ends and why the line is steel. This was the cheapest line money could buy. Had it been a hard line with flared fittings on each end the engine vibration would cause it to crack. So these olive seals were fitted in both ends. Now I have read some about why the line was steel. Thats because this line is after the filter. You don't want any crap getting into the injection pump from there. If its a rubber line of questionable quality it may start to degrade. then it goes into the expensive injection pump. I realize there is a secondary filter in the injection pump but trying to clean it is a ruff job without removing the injection pump.

Makes complete sense to me now. So it is best not to cheap out when buying this line. Well, any of them in general. Is there anyway I can repair the one I have now or would I have to buy an entire new line from Mel?