I'm back in the IDI game!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm , how bout that. It wasn't backwards after all lol. It just doesn't fit the curve of the tailgate very well. I cranked on it and it didn't want to move. I'm pretty sure it's my rubber mat keeping it from sliding. I'll toss a tarp down first next time and see if that makes a difference. But for today I guess it's getting unloaded by hand.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm , how bout that. It wasn't backwards after all lol. It just doesn't fit the curve of the tailgate very well. I cranked on it and it didn't want to move. I'm pretty sure it's my rubber mat keeping it from sliding. I'll toss a tarp down first next time and see if that makes a difference. But for today I guess it's getting unloaded by hand.
At least you don't have to unload it all the way. It'll work once you get half(ish) of the load out. But you can't use a transfer shovel very well since you have to avoid tearing up the sheet. That's why I ended up ditching it. But a tarp is a good idea, wonder how it'll work.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better make it two or three layers of tarp between the rubber mat and the sheet.

One tarp isn't likely to make a difference.

Because the tarp will be "griptioned' by both the mat and the sheet.

Put down two or more tarps and the tarps at least stand SOME chance of slipping on each other.

Probably not likely to have a whole lot of effect, even then.

It's the weight, and the way it is spread, yet still very heavy, that is the problem.

Wood chips. Sawdust. Bales of hay. No problem.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a sheet of thick plastic to throw between the bed and the belt. That way it will slide more easily and won’t get down between the ribs on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least you don't have to unload it all the way. It'll work once you get half(ish) of the load out.

You nailed it. I had to unload roughly half of it to get it to move. I'll be picking up another load soon and I'll try the tarp / plastic trick.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I scored some free stepping stones today :D. I noticed my egt gauge is finicky and doesn't always read correctly. Hopefully it's just a loose wire. I tossed together a fuel pump block off plate from some scraps laying around and I will be working on getting the Holley installed today. I have about 500 miles on the truck now , she seems to be running great aside from needing the pump turned up a little. But I need to get my egt gauge working correctly first.

You must be registered for see images attach

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got the Holley Red swap done. It was wet and dark when I finished so I don't have any pictures of it installed but I'll get some soon. I made some rubber spacers to bring the pump out from the frame a bit and also possibly help with vibrations. It's mounted on the frame rail right in front of the FSS. I added a little anti theft feature to it as well. ;)

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Holley definitely improved low end performance. The wiring kit seems a bit backwards. The way that it is setup ( long wire from relay to battery , short wire from relay to pump ) makes the relay have to be mounted on the frame... I would have rather had the two wires switched so that the relay could be mounted under the the hood . Tomorrow I'm going to check the timing. It sounds a hair too advanced. I am also going to turn the pump up a little :D.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're planning to run it this way, I'd recommend putting some dielectric grease on all of your electrical connections to help keep the corrosion down. I'd even do that on your ground wires.
I do need to do that. I was thinking I might look for a small waterproof box to put it in but I'll probably just put dielectric grease on it and run it for now . I will be putting the wires in wire loom at least.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I backed the timing off a hair the other day and she hit 13lbs boost unloaded :popcorn. She still had more in her but I knew that I was pushing it on this old 6.9 and backed off. It still idles like sheet. I'm starting to think I have one or more injectors not sealing. There was some carbon build up on a few seats. I roughly cleaned them but really should have picked up a bore/seat brush and cleaned them thoroughly :rolleyes: . My wife was digging around in the truck while we were driving and she accidentally hit the hidden fuel pump switch. It lost pretty much all power and I could tell it wasn't getting fuel. Checked the switch and sure enough it was off. Switched it back on and it immediately went back to normal. I guess I need to rethink that hidey spot LOL.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck has been running great aside from the rough idle/miss. Just got back from the coast. The truck did great. The next day I went out to start it and it would just shut off when letting off the throttle instead of returning to idle.. I figured the IP finally gave out , or the metering valve was sticky. After a few minutes I fired it back up and it was back to normal. I let it sit over night and checked the fuel filter in the morning and it was full. I pulled the return check valve and it was clear , no junk in it , and moved freely. I then pulled the top of the IP to look for signs of a failure and to check the metering valve. The fuel was clean , zero junk in it. The metering valve moved freely.. So I tossed it back on and started poking around at other stuff. I Sprayed some soapy water around the glow plugs and injectors and ended up finding 3 glow plugs that weren't sealing , so I fixed those. It still has that rough idle.. The only thing I can think of is either the IP is failing , or there is one or more injectors not sealing due to carbon build up that I didn't clean very well. But wouldn't it be blowing back up the threads and bubbling like the glow plugs ? My next plan is to pull the injectors , thoroughly clean the seats , replace IP with a spare and hope that fixes it.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I don't think it would hurt to run some lube through the fuel. I like to mix some kerosene with 2cycle oil or MMO and run it through the IP. You could either fill the fuel filter or dump it in the tank. It's always best to start with the cheaper easier things anyway.

Rock

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would hurt to run some lube through the fuel. I like to mix some kerosene with 2cycle oil or MMO and run it through the IP. You could either fill the fuel filter or dump it in the tank. It's always best to start with the cheaper easier things anyway.

Rock

I'm definitely going to give it a shot. What ratio do you use?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online