I'm back in the IDI game!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can never seem to go more than a year or so without an IDI before I drag a new one home. I've been looking for another one for awhile and finally found the one I wanted!

Specs :

1992 F250 4x4 ext cab
7.3l with a Banks turbo and full exhaust
New e4od with Banks transcommand
3g alternator swap
Only 87k miles!

I bought it from an older man who got it when his step dad passed awa . His step dad bought it new. He hardly drove it, then passed away and it sat in a barn up until 2 years ago when the guy I bought it from inherited it. He also barely drove it because he had other trucks. It is pretty clean and I have yet to actually clean it up.

Now for the bad :

It has coolant in the oil and oil in the coolant. So the engine will be coming out and gone through. I will be doing a lot of work to it in the next few months and will post updates.

You must be registered for see images attach

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the 3g swap since I've never done one. Does it look like it was done correctly ?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the 3g swap since I've never done one. Does it look like it was done correctly ?

First glance says no, but that's because it looks messy! It looks like stuff might be in the right place. Is that green wire in the last pic coming from the alternator? What does it go to? That's supposed to go to your dash light, which it picks up from a wire on the old voltage regulator. If that's correct then it appears to be wired correctly from what I can see.

Beautiful truck, I'm jealous!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First glance says no, but that's because it looks messy! It looks like stuff might be in the right place. Is that green wire in the last pic coming from the alternator? What does it go to? That's supposed to go to your dash light, which it picks up from a wire on the old voltage regulator. If that's correct then it appears to be wired correctly from what I can see.

Beautiful truck, I'm jealous!

Thanks!! :)

Here are a few more pictures of the alt wiring :

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now for the bad :

It has coolant in the oil and oil in the coolant. So the engine will be coming out and gone through. I will be doing a lot of work to it in the next few months and will post updates.

Nice find!

Why do you think there's something wrong with the motor worse than a bad oil cooler? Do you have bigger plans or just resolving this issue seems like going through the whole motor might be a lot of work if it's just the cooler.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Nice find!

Why do you think there's something wrong with the motor worse than a bad oil cooler? Do you have bigger plans or just resolving this issue seems like going through the whole motor might be a lot of work if it's just the cooler.

I'm hoping it's just the oil cooler. But I figured it would be a good time to pull the engine, check everything out, do head gaskets,etc. Since it had water in the oil I'd like to pull the pan and clean it out , along with the oil pump, check bearings.. I hate doing the pan with it in the truck, and the oil cooler is a bit of a pita too. I will be doing a compression test, cooling system pressure test and leak down test soon. Depending on how those go I may decide to do the cooler and pan in the truck. But I'm just planning for the worst with it.

Last edited:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to pull it, you might as well stud it while it's out!

I'm planning on studding mine and hopefully putting one of Russ' cams in my truck before it goes back together. As they say, buy once cry once!

That's what my wife said! lol. I'd like to have one of his cams too! We'll have to wait and see if I can squeeze it in the budget.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online