I'm back in the IDI game!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was hoping to get the compression test done today... But after looking for my 15/16 socket for way too long I finally remembered that I loaned it out and never got it back. So I will try again tomorrow after I get a new socket.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You only had one???

Go sit in the corner, young man!

That's a problem I catch myself with. Someone is like "how do I do this" and I'm like it's easy, just use this tool.

I don't have that tool

Oh... Well... Then I guess you don't do that!

I've gotten to the point where I take for granted some of the tools I use all the time and forget there was a time where I barely had a set of sockets LOL

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have 15/16 in three drive sizes, and several copies of each. Deep and shallow, except in the 1" drive. Maybe four drive sizes, if I have it in 3/8" drive.

In other words, you need more tools.

You can never have enough tools! I am set on pretty much everything else . I buy tools as I need them and I've only ever needed the one deep socket 15/16. Thus only one .

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to spin it over today and.... It's seized . I'll pour some penetrating oil down the cylinders and let it soak and hope it breaks free. In the mean time I am going to get started on the other work that it needs.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spin it by hand, backward, first. Then forward by hand.

It'll be a lot easier if you do it with the glow plugs out.

If there are pieces of glow plugs in there, you really don't want to be trying to start it with the starter.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spin it by hand, backward, first. Then forward by hand.

It'll be a lot easier if you do it with the glow plugs out.

If there are pieces of glow plugs in there, you really don't want to be trying to start it with the starter.

Unfortunately the bolt is just spinning loose and over tightening. Glow plugs are out and I'm pretty sure there's nothing stuck in the heads. All belts are off as well.
:frustrate

Good luck. I hope it frees up for you.

Thanks! I hope it does. I don't want to pull the tc with it.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the crank pulley and drill a piece of flat bar that spans two of the bolt holes on the balancer, then either make the bar long enough to use it as your leverage or thick enough to grab onto with a pipe wrench or crescent wrench.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the crank pulley and drill a piece of flat bar that spans two of the bolt holes on the balancer, then either make the bar long enough to use it as your leverage or thick enough to grab onto with a pipe wrench or crescent wrench.

I'll give that a shot if I can't get it to move with the flywheel turner. I plan on soaking it for a few days before I try again.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those glow plugs could be original and just left over time.
Nice window sticker, priceless.
Bummer its siezed.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those glow plugs could be original and just left over time.
Nice window sticker, priceless.
Bummer its siezed.

Well I plan on sending the injectors to you to be pop tested to rule them out. I was actually about to send you a pm.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a seven 3 here at the house that's all tore apart under my bench you need to come and look at it and see if you want it it will be reasonably priced.