I'm back in the IDI game!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the IP won't bypass fuel unless it's turning (running) so it's possible that's normal. That's just what I've heard and perhaps Russ or Wes can confirm?

It seems you are right. I put a clear line on the IP return and pressurized it again. Nothing came out. So I started it and fuel immediately started flowing out. So I guess that whole thought was a waste of time lol. I have a new lift pump arriving tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes the erratic fuel pressure.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that is why I suggested the clear lines. :D

The bonus is that now you can watch for air bubbles.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am pretty pissed. I ordered a carter pump from rockauto and they sent me a f'ing airtex. The pump itself has the carter PN as does the box ,so apparently carter pumps are now made by airtex? If I wanted an airtex pump I would have picked one up locally with a lifetime warranty! They won't even refund me unless I pay return shipping , which is cost the same as the pump because of the ridiculously large box it came in.

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its 5050 if it will last or not. On this old pump airtex may be making them for carter , or vice versa

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was just pulling into my machine shop that I use when I answered this and I asked him about it cuz he's been doing this for 50-some years. His parts guy just told me that a while back Carter bought out are text to support the lines of older pumps that Carter doesn't want to make so even though they have a Carter brand on them they're likely airtex which does not bode well for reliability for us.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was just pulling into my machine shop that I use when I answered this and I asked him about it cuz he's been doing this for 50-some years. His parts guy just told me that a while back Carter bought out are text to support the lines of older pumps that Carter doesn't want to make so even though they have a Carter brand on them they're likely airtex which does not bode well for reliability for us.

That's good to know Russ. I was in a bind so I had to toss it on and give it a whirl. I will replace it asap with an OEM one or possibly go e-fuel if I can find a pump that will actually meet the needs and not break the bank. The fuel pressure is now steady! It still has a rough idle , thinking more air in the system still.. But holy sheet, it runs a million times better! Night and day difference!

Check out this little gem.. :eek:

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t normally suggest running an old one, but as an alternative/backup to the airtex, don’t you have an OEM original one with 87k miles on it? Or was the arm it pretty rusty like the rest of that engine?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t normally suggest running an old one, but as an alternative/backup to the airtex, don’t you have an OEM original one with 87k miles on it? Or was the arm it pretty rusty like the rest of that engine?
I didn't even think of that. I do still have it and it worked great for the brief run time before I pulled it. It wasn't rusty like the rest. I should have just tossed that one on. :rolleyes:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the timing today. Funny how steady the timing mark is when you're getting steady fuel pressure haha. It was right at 8.5 so I left it. I'm considering installing a Holley red.. It sounds like they don't have the issues the Facet does , and I like the idea of being able to toss a rebuild kit in the glove box.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm considering installing a Holley red.. It sounds like they don't have the issues the Facet does , and I like the idea of being able to toss a rebuild kit in the glove box.
Now that you have it running right, you can go farther on your upgrades if you want. The Holley red is a good one.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holley red is on it's way :D. I put her to work today hauling gravel for our green house. I'm finally able to get some stuff done! She's running great!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How'd you like that harbor fright bed unloader? I used mine for gravel once and decided shoveling was still less work, haha. Maybe with a plastic bed liner it would be good.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How'd you like that harbor fright bed unloader? I used mine for gravel once and decided shoveling was still less work, haha. Maybe with a plastic bed liner it would be good.
I don't know yet but I'm sure it won't work as good with it on backwards haha. I was in a hurry throwing it on before they closed and I put the mounts on backwards. :oops:I noticed that when I got home. I'll fix it tomorrow and try it out. I have a feeling it won't work with my thick rubber mat. I've seen people put tarps down first to help it slide. I figured for $40 it was worth a try.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online