I FAILED emissions...horribly

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
You can't turn a Moose Pump down without creating more problems. I like the fuel supply limit idea. Figure out a way to put a restriction on the supply line for the testing only. A small machined insert stuck in the end of the hard line to the pump would work nicely. A man made clog in the fuel filter as it were. That would allow it to run fine as long as you stay near idle. LOL

Wow, don't I feel like a *******... What problems?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try timing the truck first before I did anything exotic or different. If you have a bad injector or two that can really mess things up/create a lot of extra smoke. The next step is a smoke puff limiter. It would seriously get the smoke emissions down without sacrificing power if correctly adjusted, and at a fraction of the cost of new emissions technology retrofits. If I ever get a "hot" pump mine will get a smoke puff limiter. It would have it now if I could justify the $300 or so price tag and was sure I would know how to adjust it, but we don't have emissions testing in Florida and I already keep my smoke pretty well minimized by driving the thing with the respect due to an old truck most of the time. If I have a lead foot sometimes it can get a little smoky but I try not to do that much.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I am glad I don't live in the Salt Lake Valley anymore. Gettin too many liberals up there. Outside the Salt Lake area, emissions testing isn't really done(trust me, none of my cars would be on the road :rotflmao ;Really)

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, I heard something a while back on this board about the Moose pump putting out to much fuel for higher elevations. Forgive me Mel if I am wrong. (Might have been in relation to non-turbo)

I know that with my stock setup it has very little light smoke up to about 6,500 feet, then it turns black and very hard to manage.

I am not looking forward to Cal. testing older trucks. I will make a huge stink (pun intended) about our local school buses smoking us all out and older gas vehicles stinking if they try to make me retire my p/u

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I live in Salt Lake County also. The place I take my truck to will not put it on the rollers (dyno). He told me "I've had too many of them jump off and screw up the machine." So he just tests mine in Park, hooks it up and runs the rpms up to what the machine is asking for.

My truck always passes with this method. I kinda doubt it would pass if I had to go on the rollers.

I have heard that they are changing the laws on diesel emission testing and that the dyno rollers are going away... but its just hear-say at this point. I do know that on my newer diesels they just plug into the OBD2 plug and check for codes. No codes=PASS.;Sweet

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I had an '82 K1500 6.2L Chevy that I had to get emission checked here in Oregon once (Anything 3/4 ton and up doesn't have to here). Anyway, they put it on the dyno roller and hooked a hose to both tailpipes. It had a TH400 auto with 4.10's... I had to sit inside while the guy did it, and when he came back in, his first reply was "Man, I had a hell of a time getting that truck up to 50mph!" LOL but it passed with flying colors (it had a rebuilt motor.) I thought it was funny hearing from an emmissions guy that it was gutless

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget also that propane fumigation may be a good way to combat the emissions people. I've not worked with it myself, but there is plenty of documented evidence that propane fumigation will reduce opacity. There are several guys in here who can tell you first hand if it would work.

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad I don't live in the Salt Lake Valley anymore. Gettin too many liberals up there. Outside the Salt Lake area, emissions testing isn't really done(trust me, none of my cars would be on the road :rotflmao ;Really)
according to the emission guy that tested my truck a couple weeks ago ALL COUNTIES in Utah will have emission requirements next year

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess the state of Utah figured out one more way to raise some revenue. Yeah I forgot about propane fumigation, that is a way to reduce smoke emissions and improve fuel economy, but it may not actually help very much if you're concerned about cost or the overall carbon footprint of the vehicle. It should help if you want to reduce smoke and pass emissions though. I wonder if water injection would also help?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water injection will only help keep the EGT's down. Not needed for the emissions test I suspect, since they can't possibly spend much time under heavy load with their tests.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember Rob AKA F350Blizzard had water injection and propane I think....maybe it was just the water/methanol. I wonder who owns that truck now since it's passed through Darrin Tosh's yard a couple times.

IDI Diesel7.3

Ukrainian Power
Reaction score
I feel bad for you guys up there, we don't have to do any of these emission tests in Mantioba, Canada. Only time we've gotten in trouble is when a buddy was in the city with his cummins blowing smoke at every stop light and the cops told him to "keep his smoke show on the highway". I take it for granted,

Love that comment about, "unplugged your chip", people have such a lack of knowledge about IDIs

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
What about the smoke puff limiter from hypermax? That fixes the problem

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
When You said that You adjusted the wastegate to 15 psi, was that up, or down from the first test? I'd think You'd need all the boost you can get with a moose pump/emmission test